• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wainwright out for the yr

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At those levels, players aren't paid crazy salaries. And the pitchers probably can hit well at those levels, too. I'm telling you, if i were the Dodgers, I wouldn't even let Kershaw bat. After paying him $1M/start, I can't risk that he gets hurt batting.

So you want to change the way the game has been played since its inception because of the salaries these guys are currently making? That seems silly to me.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he did -- he would have snapped his achilles doing what he is PAID TO DO. What is so difficult to understand about that? He is paid to pitch.

You are confusing the value the organization has placed on his ability to pitch with what his JOB DESCRIPTION is. Max Scherzer wasn't blindsided with the fact that the NL has the pitchers batting. If he really cared, he could have dodged hitting all together like Pedro Martinez going to BOS. Go get your cheddar with an AL team so you can be a protected player with a DH. The NL plays grown ass man baseball, where strategy is involved and pitchers HIT as part of their jobs.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he did -- he would have snapped his achilles doing what he is PAID TO DO. What is so difficult to understand about that? He is paid to pitch.

He is PAID to play baseball. You VALUE his pitching ability. There IS a difference...yanno, between what you value and what he is expected to do by his employer.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are confusing the value the organization has placed on his ability to pitch with what his JOB DESCRIPTION is. Max Scherzer wasn't blindsided with the fact that the NL has the pitchers batting. If he really cared, he could have dodged hitting all together like Pedro Martinez going to BOS. Go get your cheddar with an AL team so you can be a protected player with a DH. The NL plays grown ass man baseball, where strategy is involved and pitchers HIT as part of their jobs.

"grown ass man baseball"? what is grown up about sending a guy paid to pitch to get embarrassed swinging a bat?

2013 -- pitchers, as whole hit, .132!!!! The sad part is -- that was an improvement from 2012 when they hit .129.

I didn't see what they hit in 2014, but i'll go out on a limb and say it is somewhere between .125-.150

Makes sense to me to see them bat. Maybe the AL should pull a fan out of the stands and let them be the DH -- wouldn't be any worse than watching pitchers bat. Then we can call ourselves a grown ass man league.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is PAID to play baseball. You VALUE his pitching ability. There IS a difference...yanno, between what you value and what he is expected to do by his employer.

He is PAID to be a pitcher. The same way Joe Montana was PAID to be a QB. Jerry Rice was PAID to be a WR.

There is a reason when these players are drafted or signed, they don't say he has a fastball in the upper 90's and hit .200 for his local travel team. That is because they are drafted and paid to pitch. In the NL -- they are FORCED to bat. No one is going to confuse them for professional hitters.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You VALUE his pitching ability

I don't value anything -- I'm not paying anyone a penny in the MLB. The owner of the teams are paying them for one reason and one reason only. Their ability to pitch. They are forced to bat, because of an archaic rule from the stone age, when players were paid nothing.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that does frustrate me about the NL rules is watching a pitcher dominating with a very reasonable pitch count, only to get pulled for a pinch hitter. Another reason pitcher W-L is dumb.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another way at looking at this is.... AREN'T pitchers athletes as well? Don't they go through the SAME training regime's as everyday players? Why shouldn't they hit? Granted they can't hit the broadside of a barn (most) but they should have the physical ability to

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another way at looking at this is.... AREN'T pitchers athletes as well? Don't they go through the SAME training regime's as everyday players? Why shouldn't they hit? Granted they can't hit the broadside of a barn (most) but they should have the physical ability to

they are athletes. swinging a bat isn't why they are in the MLB though.

think about it -- tom brady is an athlete. would NE put him out there to return kicks? or maybe play a little MLB?

and there is no chance a pitcher is going thru the same training regime. hell -- they don't even report to spring training at the same time. pitchers and catchers report first. the rest of the players report after that.

everyday players are in the cage all the time. they are studying video of opposing pitchers and how they pitch in certain situations and what type of pitches they use.

pitchers are in the bullpen getting ready for their start and studying video how to get opposing hitters out and what locations they struggle against.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are athletes. swinging a bat isn't why they are in the MLB though.

think about it -- tom brady is an athlete. would NE put him out there to return kicks? or maybe play a little MLB?

and there is no chance a pitcher is going thru the same training regime. hell -- they don't even report to spring training at the same time. pitchers and catchers report first. the rest of the players report after that.

everyday players are in the cage all the time. they are studying video of opposing pitchers and how they pitch in certain situations and what type of pitches they use.

pitchers are in the bullpen getting ready for their start and studying video how to get opposing hitters out and what locations they struggle against.

I completely agree with you with all you have said above... But they are still athletes... I personally do NOT want them to hit either but we shouldn't act like they can't because they "aren't athletes"

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with you with all you have said above... But they are still athletes... I personally do NOT want them to hit either but we shouldn't act like they can't because they "aren't athletes"
It's not about pitchers not being athletes, it's about their focus and routine. Bench players don't hit as well as position starters who hit every day. Pitchers at best hit once a week and get 2-4 at bats?

If we are going to use the excuse that they are athletes and should play the same way then by all means run them out there every single day like their fielding counterparts.

When the game was invented there were no relief pitchers. They didn't need 4 days rest either. Hell, when the game was first invented the ball was thrown underhand ffs.

The game has changed dramatically and yet this one piece of old tradition seems to be clung onto desperately by some fans. I mean I get it, I really miss crossing routes and watching LB's lay out WR's in football too, but those days are gone. And we all understand why.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards have the best record in baseball. Too much. :L

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they play 500 ball the rest of the way, they end up with 97 wins:suds:

B

bravesfan1

huge blow to the cards. I think this is the final straw. I fully expect the nl to adopt the dh next season

that is a huge blow to the cards.... I wonder if they wish they wouldnt of traded Miller now?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks because before he went down, the Cards really looked good. Now look at where their season is.

Complete shame...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching a guy like Edgar, Papi or Frank Thomas extend their careers at DH is sooooo much better than watching Ian Kennedy lay down a bunt. It's this way of thinking that keeps baseball stuck in the past.

Laying down a properly executed bunt is not easy

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks because before he went down, the Cards really looked good. Now look at where their season is.

Complete shame...
Yep...7 losses...complete shame...had won 8 in a row. Like 8-2 since Waino went down