• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wainwright out for the yr

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same as I just said -- In football -- the best athletes play offense and defense growing up. I think Aaron Rodgers needs to play some Safety next year for the Packers. There is no reason he should be sitting on the sidelines when the defense takes the field. He was drafted to play football, not just be a QB.

hahaha

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And please tell me you are joking that pitchers are the best athletes on their MLB teams? I hope you are joking.[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to tell me Bartolo Colon is not the best athlete on the Mets?!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you trying to tell me Bartolo Colon is not the best athlete on the Mets?!
cropped_colonlol_medium.gif

w640xh480_USPW_235307.jpg

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NL baseball is so much better. There is way more strategy to the game because of a pitcher having to hit for himself. Bunting to move over runners, squeeze plays, double switches, using up all your bench players and in extra innings, ect... Anyone can manage an AL team. They just set a lineup and change a pitcher after 100 pitches. The games are more boring in the AL.

Until the AL came around pitchers had to hit in every level from Tee ball onwards. The DH only came about because the old washed up players who could no longer field the ball wanted to keep playing.

AL fans soon will not want any pitchers in college or high shool to bat. Next it will be little league. Pitchers are ball players and should have to hit. Usually as kids they are the best athletes on the team. Its the same in MLB but teams specialize to damn much. Remember Babe Ruth was a pitcher at first too. There might be another pitcher out there like him who could be one of the greatest hitters too. We might miss out on watching his greatness if he is signed by an AL team.

I want the NL to retain the DH but the strategy thing is a total crock. For the first 2 at bats there's ZERO strategy. If the pitchers doing well he's staying in, if he's getting shelled he's being taken out. In the last 2 at bats there's usually little to no strategy either and when there is it's over rated. If you have one left hander in the bullpen, in the 6th inning and Big Papi is up the AL manager has a decision to make that is every bit as strategic as whether you take the pitcher out.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you trying to tell me Bartolo Colon is not the best athlete on the Mets?

Those pics are absolutely hilarious. I'm sure Bartolo is definitely the best athlete on the Mets.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Why don't they???
The minor leagues started using a DH in 1969. Some organizations had some say whether they'd use a DH or not. Since the 80's, the DH has been in use in both leagues, save for games between two NL farm clubs.

It would take a lot more time to develop two-way prospects anyway.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those pics are absolutely hilarious. I'm sure Bartolo is definitely the best athlete on the Mets.

He's actually has gotten a couple of hits this year. God bless that at bastardo!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see what is so funny? He was drafted to be a football player. He should be out there playing defense too. You act like they are paying him 20 million a year to just play QB.

He played both ways growing up and he was one of the best athletes. Stick him out there and tell him to cover Calvin Johnson in man or fill the hole and take out Adrian Peterson when he has a head full of steam.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? The pitcher hits in little league all the way through college.

At those levels, players aren't paid crazy salaries. And the pitchers probably can hit well at those levels, too. I'm telling you, if i were the Dodgers, I wouldn't even let Kershaw bat. After paying him $1M/start, I can't risk that he gets hurt batting.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At those levels, players aren't paid crazy salaries. And the pitchers probably can hit well at those levels, too. I'm telling you, if i were the Dodgers, I wouldn't even let Kershaw bat. After paying him $1M/start, I can't risk that he gets hurt batting.

The Mets used to make Doc Gooden hit from the right side even though he was actually a lefty hitter. They wanted his left arm in front in case it got hit by a pitch.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an FYI many people want Bumgarner to be a PH in many situations. He hits very well.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sources tell me Adam has lawyered up in order get the NL to adopt the DH.

He's hired this guy:

wayne-wright-llp.jpg

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madison Bumgarner takes a big swing at Max Scherzer over comments about DH rule - The Washington Post

“He knew the rules,” Bumgarner told the San Jose Mercury News. “Whatever much he signed for – what did he get, again? – he didn’t have a problem signing his name. He didn’t have a problem with hitting then. I’m sure he had his pick of anywhere he wanted to go.”

“What if [Wainwright] got hurt pitching? Should we say we can’t pitch anymore?” Bumgarner continued. “I hate what happened to him. He works his butt off out there. But I don’t think it was because he was hitting. What if he gets hurt getting out of his truck? You tell him not to drive anymore?

“That’s the way the game has to be played. I appreciate both sides of the argument and I get it. But [ending pitcher plate appearances] isn’t the way to go about [addressing] it. …

“It’s a beautiful game to me the way it is,” Bumgarner added, to the Mercury News. “That’s obviously the way baseball started and I’m a traditional guy. I’m not much for change. I know people argue both sides, but for me, from what I see, it’s a more challenging game. It’s more challenging for managers. There’s so much more that goes into it in the National League than, `Let ‘em pitch until they can’t get outs anymore.’ ”

Bumgarner is currently batting .000 (0 for 7) this season, but in 2014, he hit four home runs and became the first pitcher to smack two grand slams since 1966. He wound up with a .258 batting average and a .755 OPS, and he was given the Silver Slugger award as the best batter at his position. (Bumgarner also received the World Series MVP trophy for leading his Giants to a championship, so, yeah, pretty good year for him.)