• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wainwright out for the yr

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn that sucks for card fans.........I definetley did not wanna see the Cubs win the division this way.

Oh well,we would have won it anyways.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't pay him to get dressed either, but he has to do it.

Actually they do -- they pay him to wear their uniform. What they want to wear outside the stadium is their choice.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Waino for the year will be tough. On a positive note, if they can still keep him on the bench to provide leadership to younger guys, that would be a big bonus. Cooney, Lyons, & Gonzalez aren't looking too bad in Memphis so far, Cooney looking the best at the moment with a 3.63 ERA. Not lights out by any means but he is a lefty. The other two are in the 4.50 range. Garcia, I'm not even counting that guy. Lynn, Lackey, Wacha, Martinez, & mix out the other 3, we might still be ok. Gonzalez didn't look too bad last year. I am curious to see what Cooney can do. He might get his chance now.

I knew it... found two cries for a National League DH in the first five or so posts. Great idea. And since catchers are usually mediocre hitters and slow runners, let's add an additional DH as well as a designated runner for them. And shortstops rarely if ever hit for power, so let's add a third DH for them.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apples and oranges.

There was not a rules change in the NFL dictating that if a player played DE in a game he was not eligible to play HB or TE in the same game.

Extrapolate this plan further in baseball. Why not simply hit 9 DHs? Imagine the increase in defense if we never had to worry about a speedy CFers bat. Imagine the offense if we didn't have to see a gold-glove SS bat in the 8-hole.

So you disagree with the "9 DH-plan" that nobody came up with?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NL baseball is so much better. There is way more strategy to the game because of a pitcher having to hit for himself. Bunting to move over runners, squeeze plays, double switches, using up all your bench players and in extra innings, ect... Anyone can manage an AL team. They just set a lineup and change a pitcher after 100 pitches. The games are more boring in the AL.

Until the AL came around pitchers had to hit in every level from Tee ball onwards. The DH only came about because the old washed up players who could no longer field the ball wanted to keep playing.

AL fans soon will not want any pitchers in college or high shool to bat. Next it will be little league. Pitchers are ball players and should have to hit. Usually as kids they are the best athletes on the team. Its the same in MLB but teams specialize to damn much. Remember Babe Ruth was a pitcher at first too. There might be another pitcher out there like him who could be one of the greatest hitters too. We might miss out on watching his greatness if he is signed by an AL team.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole Hamels will be on the Cardinals staff this week.

Book it.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole Hamels will be on the Cardinals staff this week.

Book it.

His stock just doubled (from nearly nothing) and will continue with other injuries. That said...

The Phillies have already said they want Martinez for part of a Hamels deal. No way the Cards give up a top prospect in his early 20's making peanuts that already has as good of stuff if not better then a 30 year old $25 million a year pitcher.

Whoever the Cards put in their rotation to replace Wainwright I can guarantee you that guy will be better than every pitcher in the Brewers starting rotation built by Doug Melvin.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets paid to PITCH. They didn't give him 20 million a year to hit a baseball.

Bullshit argument. Miguel Cabrera is paid to hit. His defense isn't what's cashing his paycheck but he's still expected to do it. And if he gets hurt waddling his ass to 1B, there's no uproar about him having to be inconvenienced by playing defense.

Wainwright would have snapped his achilles just as easily on his follow through pitching off the mound as he did at bat. Scherzer needs to stop being a pussy and spend more time in the batting cage working on his bunting and directional hitting. The NL likes in-game strategy, the AL doesn't.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
connie mack was so far ahead of his time...

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards will survive with a trio of pitchers filling in...Cooney, Marco and maybe Villy. Hopefully Cooney gets his chance. The issue will be losing a tremendous talent that also eats innings while having 3 of your 5 pitchers being limited to total innings pitched for the year (CMart, Wacha, and fill in). Also, you know there will be another injury coming to a pitcher...it's the way of the world. No need to jump into a trade until ASB

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The career trajectory of Ryan Howard completely reversed when Howard tore his own Achilles running out of the box against the same Cardinals. Howard just came off of 6 consecutive 100 RBI seasons and about a .270 average in that stretch. Since then he's not been the same guy. I hope it's not that serious for Wainright. He's a class act, helluva pitcher, and has been great since coming back from Tommy John surgery. I hope he can recover from this. Hopefully the Achilles didn't pop.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever the Cards put in their rotation to replace Wainwright I can guarantee you that guy will be better than every pitcher in the Brewers starting rotation built by Doug Melvin.

Sad but true.

I was actually just talking to my brother about this. We agreed that Melvin will probably trade top pitching and infield prospects for Wainright now, only to have him be a shell of his former self while the prospects go on to help the Cards make a few more Series appearances.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The career trajectory of Ryan Howard completely reversed when Howard tore his own Achilles running out of the box against the same Cardinals. Howard just came off of 6 consecutive 100 RBI seasons and about a .270 average in that stretch. Since then he's not been the same guy. I hope it's not that serious for Wainright. He's a class act, helluva pitcher, and has been great since coming back from Tommy John surgery. I hope he can recover from this. Hopefully the Achilles didn't pop.

Howard was already in decline when his injury happened...the injury might've sped things up, but given how poorly sluggers age poorly in their 30s, it's no surprise to many that he's virtually useless as of late.

In 2011, his average dropped a good 25 points from where it was the prior two years, and his was in decline for a few years at that point.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It always sucks to see a star player go down for the season, especially doing something they don't exactly get paid for. Hopefully he'll pick up where he left off next year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit argument. Miguel Cabrera is paid to hit. His defense isn't what's cashing his paycheck but he's still expected to do it. And if he gets hurt waddling his ass to 1B, there's no uproar about him having to be inconvenienced by playing defense.

There'd be no uproar, because being an everyday player means playing defense too. When a team signs a pitcher -- they are doing so for him to take the mound once every five days, not to swing a bat.

When people talk about Madison Baumgarner's unbelievable playoff performance last year -- Are they going to say -- Baumgarner carried the Giants to a World Series title after going 0-15 with 9 strikeouts, BUT he did walk in one AB. No -- he did so by doing what he is PAID to do -- get professional hitters out.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wainwright would have snapped his achilles just as easily on his follow through pitching off the mound as he did at bat. Scherzer needs to stop being a pussy and spend more time in the batting cage working on his bunting and directional hitting. The NL likes in-game strategy, the AL doesn't.

And if he did -- he would have snapped his achilles doing what he is PAID TO DO. What is so difficult to understand about that? He is paid to pitch.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having the pitcher bat is so fucking pointless. Here's another great example.

How so? The pitcher hits in little league all the way through college.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL fans soon will not want any pitchers in college or high shool to bat. Next it will be little league. Pitchers are ball players and should have to hit. Usually as kids they are the best athletes on the team. Its the same in MLB but teams specialize to damn much. Remember Babe Ruth was a pitcher at first too. There might be another pitcher out there like him who could be one of the greatest hitters too. We might miss out on watching his greatness if he is signed by an AL team.

Since pitchers hit since they were little kids, because they were the best athletes. Why isn't Baumgarner playing the field on the days when he isn't pitching? I'm sure he did that growing up as well. What about football? Growing up QB's and RB's are usually the best athletes on the team -- they also play defense too. Why didn't Joe Montana play MLB for the 49ers or Steve Young? I'm positive they played offense and defense growing up.

And please tell me you are joking that pitchers are the best athletes on their MLB teams? I hope you are joking.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? The pitcher hits in little league all the way through college.

Same as I just said -- In football -- the best athletes play offense and defense growing up. I think Aaron Rodgers needs to play some Safety next year for the Packers. There is no reason he should be sitting on the sidelines when the defense takes the field. He was drafted to play football, not just be a QB.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No DH...players blow out Achilles in all sorts of ways...shit happens. The loss of Waino is huge and you just know another starter will be hitting the DL this year also.

One can never have enough pitching depth

Leave the leagues different. He could have done that running to cover first