• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC top Program of All time

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're certainly consistent, but have been no where near one of the better programs in the country and were consistently getting beat by non-conference opponents; despite being able to pump out NFL talent. Being in the top half of your conference is not the same as being relevant nationally. If it were true that NFL talent was that much of a factor in terms of on field performance, then Wisconsin should have been one of the better programs over the past 20 or so years, if not going back further.

Iowa has done an okay job at "pumping" out NFL talent, I guess. They are 18th in terms of overall players drafted and tied for 24th in terms of first rounders taken. I'd say that's probably in line with what they have been as an overall program since 2000. If I had to guess without looking, I'd say they are probably in the 20's or so in terms of overall program since 2000. And I don't understand your point on Wisconsin. Are you saying they have been good, despite not producing a lot of NFL talent?

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND has been fine with skill players. In the last 5 drafts ND has had 7 skill players drafted(WR, RB, TE) ND has had 14 players drafted the last two years(2013, 2014). Talent has been there for the most part, ND has just killed themselves with self inflicting wounds the last couple of years(turnovers, penalties)

Going into this year ND will be loaded at the skill positions. Folston and Bryant at RB along with the #5 RB recruit in the country, Fuller, Hunter Jr, Brown, Robinson and four 4 star recruits coming in, and ND always has good TE's.

Don't forget quarterback, the most important skill position in existence by a country mile. And Notre Dame has not had good enough ones, especially for an elite program. Who was the last great one? Possibly Brady Quinn eight or nine years ago. Look at the mess that Texas and Florida have been in the last five years. Their quarterbacks have absolutely sucked. It's a big reason why they have struggled recently. I'm not saying Notre Dame's have been quite that bad, but it hasn't exactly been a position of strength either. It will be interesting to see who wins the job this fall. I'd kind of like to see them hand over the reins to Zaire and see what he can do, especially if he's able to make plays while taking care of the football which I believe he is fully capable of doing. I'd like to see him get an opportunity and shine.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget quarterback, the most important skill position in existence by a country mile. And Notre Dame has not had good enough ones, especially for an elite program. Who was the last great one? Possibly Brady Quinn eight or nine years ago. Look at the mess that Texas and Florida have been in the last five years. Their quarterbacks have absolutely sucked. It's a big reason why they have struggled recently. I'm not saying Notre Dame's have been quite that bad, but it hasn't exactly been a position of strength either. It will be interesting to see who wins the job this fall. I'd kind of like to see them hand over the reins to Zaire and see what he can do, especially if he's able to make plays while taking care of the football which I believe he is fully capable of doing. I'd like to see him get an opportunity and shine.

Didn't forget about QB, just didn't consider earlier. Jimmy Clausen was actually pretty good at ND, despite my hatred of him off the field and ND's inconsistency when he was the starter. They were bad during his reign because ND couldn't field a defense. Once he left you are right, ND hasn't had great QB play. Rees and Golson were/have been absolute turnover machines while the starter. Turnovers probably cost ND 3 games last year alone. The one year ND took care off the ball they went undefeated and made the championship game during the Rees/Golson tenure. Rees wasn't very good, and Golson just makes too many dumb ass decision. He actually is a pretty talented QB IMO.

I wouldn't mind a two QB system for next year actually, even though that hardly works. After watching the bowl game last year, its evident that Zaire can run the read option better than Golson can, but I still think Golson is a better thrower of the ball. Plus ND's WR's next year I think collectively has the potential to be a top 5 unit in all of college football. We need somebody who's able to get them the ball.

Next year will be interesting. ND was extremely young last year due to guys leaving early for the draft and because of the suspensions. I think ND can get back to 10 wins next year. They HAVE to limit turnovers though.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into this year ND will be loaded at the skill positions. Folston and Bryant at RB along with the #5 RB recruit in the country, Fuller, Hunter Jr, Brown, Robinson and four 4 star recruits coming in, and ND always has good TE's.
And coming out of last year, I would tend to temper expectations. The implosion that was Notre Dame Football in the second half of last season was, indeed, epic.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is NO program in the existence in the history of CFB that has played more top 5 conference, or if you will, BCS opponents than USC, yet they have held their own with the elite of the CFB world.. Enough fucking said!!
another 2 first rd picks :suds:

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another 2 first rd picks :suds:

Every single year they are loaded with talent. That's the benefit of having 23 million people living in Southern California. Of course the two kids that they had drafted in the first round are from all the way across the country in Florida. And that's the benefit of being a marquee program and football factory like USC!

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lel @ Texas

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single year they are loaded with talent. That's the benefit of having 23 million people living in Southern California. Of course the two kids that they had drafted in the first round are from all the way across the country in Florida. And that's the benefit of being a marquee program and football factory like USC!
One might say USC is the top program of all time :heh:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't forget about QB, just didn't consider earlier. Jimmy Clausen was actually pretty good at ND, despite my hatred of him off the field and ND's inconsistency when he was the starter. They were bad during his reign because ND couldn't field a defense. Once he left you are right, ND hasn't had great QB play. Rees and Golson were/have been absolute turnover machines while the starter. Turnovers probably cost ND 3 games last year alone. The one year ND took care off the ball they went undefeated and made the championship game during the Rees/Golson tenure. Rees wasn't very good, and Golson just makes too many dumb ass decision. He actually is a pretty talented QB IMO.

I wouldn't mind a two QB system for next year actually, even though that hardly works. After watching the bowl game last year, its evident that Zaire can run the read option better than Golson can, but I still think Golson is a better thrower of the ball. Plus ND's WR's next year I think collectively has the potential to be a top 5 unit in all of college football. We need somebody who's able to get them the ball.

Next year will be interesting. ND was extremely young last year due to guys leaving early for the draft and because of the suspensions. I think ND can get back to 10 wins next year. They HAVE to limit turnovers though.

Not a big fan of the two QB system. It's college so limited practice time (unless you're Michigan) and so you're splitting up running with the ones between two QBs. Good chance neither builds up chemistry with the receivers. Too much potential for team division if one starts to do better. Usually the older guys stick up for the 5th year QB the younger guys want the newer guy. It worked with Tebow because he was a goal line guy but I see disaster ahead if Brian Kelly can't pick one.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of the two QB system. It's college so limited practice time (unless you're Michigan) and so you're splitting up running with the ones between two QBs. Good chance neither builds up chemistry with the receivers. Too much potential for team division if one starts to do better. Usually the older guys stick up for the 5th year QB the younger guys want the newer guy. It worked with Tebow because he was a goal line guy but I see disaster ahead if Brian Kelly can't pick one.

I'm not a fan of it either. To me you have to make a choice as to who's the guy rather than play two. As they say if you have two quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks unless you are Ohio State and then you have three.