• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC top Program of All time

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The academic standards don't help their cause. When I watch Notre Dame play, they're usually pretty tough in the trenches for the most part but they lack supreme athletes at the skill positions and to me they seriously lack team speed. They could use a little more creativity with schemes and play-calling as well. And I'm not hating on them. I actually really like Notre Dame.
When the average student admitted makes a 32 on the ACT it does make it hard.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the average student admitted makes a 32 on the ACT it does make it hard.

Daaaaamn! Isn't 36 a perfect score? I always hated that the ACTs and SATs were on Saturday mornings. At least where I'm from they were. And I was always either still hammered or massively hung over for those tests. I actually slept through the majority of my scientific reasoning section the first go around. That obviously killed my score. I came in with a 24 and my folks were like, "You're taking that shit again." I was much less drunk the second time around and came through with a 29. Good enough for me. I'll sit on that score.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Princeton's last of 26 National Championships came in 1935.
Yeah, they thought it wasn't over either for a long time.
Then they joined the Ivy League 20 years later.
So much for hope.

Daaaaamn! Isn't 36 a perfect score? I always hated that the ACTs and SATs were on Saturday mornings. At least where I'm from they were. And I was always either still hammered or massively hung over for those tests. I actually slept through the majority of my scientific reasoning section the first go around. That obviously killed my score. I came in with a 24 and my folks were like, "You're taking that shit again." I was much less drunk the second time around and came through with a 29. Good enough for me. I'll sit on that score.

Not that surprising. Anyone want to be the football team isnt @ 32?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only about a dozen schools that have a crying ass chance of being listed in any legitimate all-time Top 5 ranking.... It's all a cycle. But the top dozen programs are going to be pretty consistent over an extended period of time who have an argument being in the all-time Top 5.

it is a cycle, and who knows how demographics and whatever the current 'in' thing will be in 5-10 years? Notre Dame could be the dominant force in CFB again at some point, even though right now it looks like a tough sell.

At some point, top players may tire of going to the South to play; the cool thing may be going back to the North...demographics could change, population shift could change, whatever.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is NO program in the existence in the history of CFB that has played more top 5 conference, or if you will, BCS opponents than USC, yet they have held their own with the elite of the CFB world.. Enough fucking said!!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is NO program in the existence in the history of CFB that has played more top 5 conference, or if you will, BCS opponents than USC, yet they have held their own with the elite of the CFB world.. Enough fucking said!!

How in the world do you even quantify the quality of opponents in all of history? I mean teams that were good years ago aren't so good now, and teams that weren't good then are good now.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world do you even quantify the quality of opponents in all of history? I mean teams that were good years ago aren't so good now, and teams that weren't good then are good now.
Duh. Eye test.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L The team that has the most players who actually get drafted into the NFL is pretty much always going to be more highly regarded than those that don't. Yes, there are plenty of good players who never get a shot at the NFL for a variety of reasons. In fact, I'd say that to even get a schollie to a 4 year university (especially one in a P5 conference), you have to be pretty darn good.

However, this list or poll or whatever is measuring players who actually had good enough college careers to get drafted into the NFL as part of it's metrics.

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree that USC should be #1, but to act like having the most players who have been good enough to get drafted to the NFL doesn't mean much seems kinda silly considering the talent required to get drafted.

Facepalm me all you want, but this conveniently timed ESPN article proves my point:

Which B1G program sends most players to NFL? Answer is surprising - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

"Not only have the Hawkeyes produced more draft picks than all but one Big Ten team -- they’re tied with Ohio State at 22 -- but, according to a recent breakdown of the last five draft classes, they’re also near the top of sending two-star prospects (and below) to the NFL."

So according to you, Iowa should be the best or the 2nd best team in the B10 over the past 16 years. Right? Or is it possible that sending kids to the NFL doesn't necessarily translate to on field success all the time?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facepalm me all you want, but this conveniently timed ESPN article proves my point:

Which B1G program sends most players to NFL? Answer is surprising - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

"Not only have the Hawkeyes produced more draft picks than all but one Big Ten team -- they’re tied with Ohio State at 22 -- but, according to a recent breakdown of the last five draft classes, they’re also near the top of sending two-star prospects (and below) to the NFL."

So according to you, Iowa should be the best or the 2nd best team in the B10 over the past 16 years. Right? Or is it possible that sending kids to the NFL doesn't necessarily translate to on field success all the time?

I never said that it translates to success on the field all of the time. Nice try though. I said that it was included in this metric and shows that having a lot of NFL level players is a big factor in a teams success. Look at the teams on the all-time list. They all have a solid history of sending players to the NFL.

You coming up with one outlier in Iowa doesn't change that fact. Perhaps Iowa does a better job of coaching up their players than the rest of the B1G. And before you try to claim it, I'm not saying and have not said that NFL caliber talent is the only measure that counts.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know where you are getting all these stats. 600+ wins?!?!?! LMAO

College football started in the year 2000 so that would be like 40 wins a year. And we all know teams generally only play 12-15 games a year.

LOL @ all of you being duped!!! :happyshake:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, to me Notre Dame should be at the top.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've always taken aptitude tests early in the morning (7:00 AM start) and slightly hung over (maybe still a little buzzed from the night before). This helped me to focus on one question at a time, organize my time & effort, and care little for the outcome while engaged. As a result, I did well.

I took the ACT, the SAT, and the GRE. I was out of college and in the work force for quite awhile when I took the GRE, still, I took it early and a little hung over. When the scores came back, I accepted their assessment of the quantitative and verbal portions, but took exception to their claim that I had erred on one question in the analytical portion. I replied with my rebuttal. Though I did receive an appreciative answer, my score was not changed.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that it translates to success on the field all of the time. Nice try though. I said that it was included in this metric and shows that having a lot of NFL level players is a big factor in a teams success. Look at the teams on the all-time list. They all have a solid history of sending players to the NFL.

You coming up with one outlier in Iowa doesn't change that fact. Perhaps Iowa does a better job of coaching up their players than the rest of the B1G. And before you try to claim it, I'm not saying and have not said that NFL caliber talent is the only measure that counts.
It's not an oulier, this happens all the time. Wisconsin is high on the list as well -- tell me, how many national titles does Wisconsin have? The teams which have a history of being good are also good at sending kids to the NFL but, as I argued, they're weighting the importance of that far too much as there are plenty of teams in every conference that have a decent record of sending kids to the NFL without necessarily the same on-field success as some of the big names.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The academic standards don't help their cause. When I watch Notre Dame play, they're usually pretty tough in the trenches for the most part but they lack supreme athletes at the skill positions and to me they seriously lack team speed. They could use a little more creativity with schemes and play-calling as well. And I'm not hating on them. I actually really like Notre Dame.

ND has been fine with skill players. In the last 5 drafts ND has had 7 skill players drafted(WR, RB, TE) ND has had 14 players drafted the last two years(2013, 2014). Talent has been there for the most part, ND has just killed themselves with self inflicting wounds the last couple of years(turnovers, penalties)

Going into this year ND will be loaded at the skill positions. Folston and Bryant at RB along with the #5 RB recruit in the country, Fuller, Hunter Jr, Brown, Robinson and four 4 star recruits coming in, and ND always has good TE's.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's obvious to me the top two programs in the B1G since 2000 are Ohio State and then Wisconsin. That's not even debatable. You can certainly argue Iowa as the 3rd best program since that time, along with Michigan and Michigan State. They all have similar resumes since then.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious to me the top two programs in the B1G since 2000 are Ohio State and then Wisconsin. That's not even debatable. You can certainly argue Iowa as the 3rd best program since that time, along with Michigan and Michigan State. They all have similar resumes since then.
They're certainly consistent, but have been no where near one of the better programs in the country and were consistently getting beat by non-conference opponents; despite being able to pump out NFL talent. Being in the top half of your conference is not the same as being relevant nationally. If it were true that NFL talent was that much of a factor in terms of on field performance, then Wisconsin should have been one of the better programs over the past 20 or so years, if not going back further.