• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA Olympic team selection thread.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is where he fits. If he's not a top-six forward, his skating doesn't really lend itself to him being a third-line checker. He cannot kill penalties, and while in Anaheim, he was not on the team's top power-play unit. "I think he's sleepy. I think he skates sleepy," offers one member of the selection committee.

No one questioned Bobby Ryan's talent, but he made the U.S. decision-makers nervous. Poile asks for a show of hands: "Are guys nervous about Bobby Ryan?" A flurry of hands go up in the air. "That's a lot of guys," Poile notes.

---

"I think we have to know what we're taking with Bobby," says (Brian) Burke, who had him in Anaheim when the Ducks won the Stanley Cup in 2007.

"He's a passive guy," Burke says. And over 82 games, yes, (Brandon) Saad and or Pacioretty might be more attractive than Ryan. But Ryan's a game-breaker.

"He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary," Burke says. "It's never going to be in his vocabulary. He can't spell intense."

If he's not going to be put in a role in which he can score an important goal, use his skills as a sniper, he shouldn't go, Burke says.

This is from the ESPN-LeBrun article.

Damnnnn.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they can pull a page out of the us selection playbook and (instead of having little kids skate out wearing the selected players jersey) have the most flamboyantly gay dudes prance about with names of the russian players tattooed as tramp stamps on their lower back ... in cyrillic ... could happen?
:noidea:

I want this to happen so badly now. Oiled up, banana hammocks, some glitter maybe.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Jack and Erik Johnson left off this year.

And thank goodness for that. Even though I'm upset at Yandle being off the team, I think the US's D is better this year than it was in 2010. The whole team is better.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, guess they saw him as a liability on the ice.

I mean, these are some of the best hockey minds in the game. Guys like Poile/Shero/Burke, as well as Bylsma/Laviolette/Richards. Gotta trust 'em. *sigh*

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thank goodness for that. Even though I'm upset at Yandle being off the team, I think the US's D is better this year than it was in 2010. The whole team is better.

Think the US D could have done without one of Orpik/Martin, IMO.

But definitely agree with the D being better. McDonagh, Shattenkirk and Carlson are better than both Erik and Jack Johnson

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, these are some of the best hockey minds in the game. Guys like Poile/Shero/Burke, as well as Bylsma/Laviolette/Richards. Gotta trust 'em. *sigh*

Well yes of course, but guess his ''lazy skating'' really kept him away from the team.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is where he fits. If he's not a top-six forward, his skating doesn't really lend itself to him being a third-line checker. He cannot kill penalties, and while in Anaheim, he was not on the team's top power-play unit. "I think he's sleepy. I think he skates sleepy," offers one member of the selection committee.

No one questioned Bobby Ryan's talent, but he made the U.S. decision-makers nervous. Poile asks for a show of hands: "Are guys nervous about Bobby Ryan?" A flurry of hands go up in the air. "That's a lot of guys," Poile notes.

---

"I think we have to know what we're taking with Bobby," says (Brian) Burke, who had him in Anaheim when the Ducks won the Stanley Cup in 2007.

"He's a passive guy," Burke says. And over 82 games, yes, (Brandon) Saad and or Pacioretty might be more attractive than Ryan. But Ryan's a game-breaker.

"He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary," Burke says. "It's never going to be in his vocabulary. He can't spell intense."

If he's not going to be put in a role in which he can score an important goal, use his skills as a sniper, he shouldn't go, Burke says.

This is from the ESPN-LeBrun article.

Cover your eye's pix...........................................................................................................

Burke is a fucking idiot !!!!!!!!!! What a classless jerk off !!!!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the US D could have done without one of Orpik/Martin, IMO.

But definitely agree with the D being better. McDonagh, Shattenkirk and Carlson are better than both Erik and Jack Johnson

I would've understood Orpik being off the team. Martin deserves every bit of it. Smooth skater, great passer, pretty good on the PP if needed, kills penalties. PaulMart will not disappoint...Orpik, um...might. They're a D-pair though, and that means *something*. Shattenkirk-Suter would be my top pair, with Martin-Orpik as the second, then Fowler-Carlson, with McDonagh-Faulk as the 7th/8th guys.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've understood Orpik being off the team. Martin deserves every bit of it. Smooth skater, great passer, pretty good on the PP if needed, kills penalties. PaulMart will not disappoint...Orpik, um...might. They're a D-pair though, and that means *something*. Shattenkirk-Suter would be my top pair, with Martin-Orpik as the second, then Fowler-Carlson, with McDonagh-Faulk as the 7th/8th guys.

No chance McDonagh is not in the top 6. Not being a homer, but he is a much better player than both Fowler and Carlson.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance McDonagh is not in the top 6. Not being a homer, but he is a much better player than both Fowler and Carlson.

I need to look at righty-lefty stuff on the pairs too. I could see him getting in over Fowler, but I'm pretty certain Carlson will be starting. Faulk is depth, nothing more.