• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA Olympic team selection thread.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the point of having a complete team for what at most amounts to 6 or 7 games - on a large ice surface you don't need fourth line energy guys if you ask me - you need skaters and scorers and maybe a hot goalie.

maybe poile was looking for a US team made up of guys that could completely destroy a sochi hotel room

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goal Jonathan Quick Kings
Goal Ryan Miller Sabres
Goal Jimmy Howard Red Wings
Defense Ryan Suter Wild
Defense Ryan McDonagh Rangers
Defense Paul Martin Penguins
Defense Brooks Orpik Penguins
Defense Justin Faulk Hurricanes
Defense John Carlson Capitals
Defense Kevin Shattenkirk Blues
Defense Cam Fowler Ducks
Forward Ryan Kesler Canucks
Forward Dustin Brown Kings
Forward Patrick Kane Blackhawks
Forward David Backes Blues
Forward T.J. Oshie Blues
Forward Zach Parise Wild
Forward Joe Pavelski Sharks
Forward Phil Kessel Maple Leafs
Forward James van Riemsdyk Maple Leafs
Forward Derek Stepan Rangers
Forward Paul Stastny Avalanche
Forward Ryan Callahan Rangers
Forward Max Pacioretty Canadiens
Forward Blake Wheeler Jets

The Roster, btw.

Good. No Jackets. Don't want to watch someone we need risk getting hurt in a tourney that doesn't matter.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

crampy over quick and howard i can understand given quicks injury and howards up and down play ... but miller??? :L

Him and the team is having a horrible season. People can talk about Schneider being a backup to a 40 year old man, but he's having a better season especially when you factor in half of the Devils games are back to backs and they're an older team

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2010 Olympic Team (that won Silver):
G: Miller, Quick, Thomas
D: Gleason, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Orpik, Rafalski, Suter, Ryan Whitney
F: Backes, Brown, Callahan, Drury, Kane, Kesler, Kessel, Langenbrunner, Malone, Parise, Pavelski, Ryan, Stastny

2014 Olympic Team:
G: Miller, Quick, Howard
D: Suter, McDonagh, Martin, Orpik, Faulk, Carlson, Shattenkirk, Fowler
F: Kesler, Brown, Kane, Backes, Oshie, Parise, Pavelski, Kessel, JvR, Stepan, Stastny, Callahan, Pacioretty, Wheeler

That's a better team.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him and the team is having a horrible season. People can talk about Schneider being a backup to a 40 year old man, but he's having a better season especially when you factor in half of the Devils games are back to backs and they're an older team

wrong ... the team is horrible ... miller is the only guy keeping them in games ... stellar save % ... facing most shots in the league too

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it, though Bishop was snubbed.

yah i might have put him as the 3rd guy ... his size PLUS the goalies are allowed to wear bigger sized pads for sochi under iihf rules

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Canada's team comes out tomorrow...what about Russia's? I mean, they won't be "coming out" persay, maybe announced.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely should have been in over Howard, who has struggled this year.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe Bobby Ryan got snubbed

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy we have 3 Rangers on the team! Knew Cally and Mac were locks, Stepan was on the bubble, nice for him to make it.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CaseyR82 4m
Dustin Byfuglien is 270 freaking pounds and people are wondering why he's not being asked to skate on an international ice surface???

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is where he fits. If he's not a top-six forward, his skating doesn't really lend itself to him being a third-line checker. He cannot kill penalties, and while in Anaheim, he was not on the team's top power-play unit. "I think he's sleepy. I think he skates sleepy," offers one member of the selection committee.

No one questioned Bobby Ryan's talent, but he made the U.S. decision-makers nervous. Poile asks for a show of hands: "Are guys nervous about Bobby Ryan?" A flurry of hands go up in the air. "That's a lot of guys," Poile notes.

---

"I think we have to know what we're taking with Bobby," says (Brian) Burke, who had him in Anaheim when the Ducks won the Stanley Cup in 2007.

"He's a passive guy," Burke says. And over 82 games, yes, (Brandon) Saad and or Pacioretty might be more attractive than Ryan. But Ryan's a game-breaker.

"He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary," Burke says. "It's never going to be in his vocabulary. He can't spell intense."

If he's not going to be put in a role in which he can score an important goal, use his skills as a sniper, he shouldn't go, Burke says.

This is from the ESPN-LeBrun article.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about Russia's? I mean, they won't be "coming out" persay, maybe announced.

they can pull a page out of the us selection playbook and (instead of having little kids skate out wearing the selected players jersey) have the most flamboyantly gay dudes prance about with names of the russian players tattooed as tramp stamps on their lower back ... in cyrillic ... could happen?
:noidea: