• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA Olympic team selection thread.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't going to use the shootout in the games are they?

Better hope that Howard isn't the last goalie standing or the US Team is coming home early.

Howard has sucked this year, Bishop should be going not Howard, IMO.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't going to use the shootout in the games are they?

Better hope that Howard isn't the last goalie standing or the US Team is coming home early.

Howard has sucked this year, Bishop should be going not Howard, IMO.

Yes, the shootout will be used if there is no winner after a 10 minute OT period.

Edit: The OT period is 10 minutes for elimination round games. In the preliminary round, the OT period is five minutes in length (like the NHL) followed by the shootout if no winner has been decided.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the shootout will be used if there is no winner after a 10 minute OT period.

Edit: The OT period is 10 minutes for elimination round games. In the preliminary round, the OT period is five minutes in length (like the NHL) followed by the shootout if no winner has been decided.

Thought of the gold being decided by a shootout is...ew...

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really need to find another place to talk about the Devils. There's just way too much stupid, mainly from 1 poster, over there

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest problems I have with this group of forwards is speed. They're going to be playing in a bigger rink than what they play on in the NHL. Team speed becomes even more important. Orpik over Yandle? Not a good decision at all.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest problems I have with this group of forwards is speed. They're going to be playing in a bigger rink than what they play on in the NHL. Team speed becomes even more important. Orpik over Yandle? Not a good decision at all.

I'm with you. The forwards are reallllly fast, and Orpik is really the anchor back there. In a negative sense. Orpik is honestly not really built for the international ice. That said, I don't want him hurt.......

Watching the Rags-Pens game last night, McDonaugh got hurt a few times, and I was thinking "please...no...for America, no."

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like everyone is angry about different players being on or off the team, perhaps that's a good sign.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Orpik's actually a pretty good skater, but I agree that his game isn't really made for a bigger rink. Most of their defense, though, are pure defenders. Having Yandle could have opened up some more options offensively, getting the defense involved in the play, and that's the problem I have with his omission.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like everyone is angry about different players being on or off the team, perhaps that's a good sign.

It's a good thing to have great players off the roster...because that shows depth. I harken back to 2010. Team played over it's heard, sure...but gosh this team is both better and deeper.

Zach Parise, Ryan Malone, Jamie Langenbrunner, Joe Pavelski
Ryan Kesler, Chris Drury, Ryan Callahan
Paul Stastny, Dustin Brown, David Backes
Bobby Ryan, Phil Kessel, Patrick Kane
Ryan Whitney, Ryan Suter
Brian Rafalski, Jack Johnson
Tim Gleason, Brooks Orpik
Erik Johnson
Ryan Miller

That's the team that played in the gold medal game. The defense is so much better this year. SO much better. The top D pair was Rafalski-Suter, and after that it went downhill a bit. Funny, Bobby Ryan played on this squad...but he had limited minutes looking at stats.