• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA Olympic team selection thread.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, okay...I may be very bad at this, because honestly putting together a line up like this is hard. Can't say I've watched enough of these guys, especially when it's very Western Conf. heavy.

Zach Parise LH, LW Paul Stastny LH, C Patrick Kane LH, RW

James van Riemsdyk LH, LW Ryan Kesler RH, C Phil Kessel RH, RW

Dustin Brown RH, RW David Backes RH, C T.J. Oshie RH, RW

Max Pacioretty LH, LW Joe Pavelski RH, C Blake Wheeler RH, RW

Extra F Ryan Callahan RH, RW
Derek Stepan RH, C
Ryan Suter LH Kevin Shattenkirk RH
Brooks Orpik LH Paul Martin LH
Ryan McDonagh John Carlson RH
Extra D
LH Cam Fowler LH
Justin Faulk RH
*Have Orpik/Martin together because of their history…would consider Fowler instead of Orpik.
Goalies
1.Ryan Miller 2.Jonathan Quick 3.Jimmy Howard

Just spent more time on this than I have on my thesis this break...

EDIT: Huh...need to adjust again. 3 LH on the top line is probably not optimal.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parise has been ok in Minnesota, but hasn't been the same player he was in New Jersey - that being said, he's still near the top of the pile for US wingers, but I'd rather have Bobby Ryan over him at the present moment. And definitely Bobby Ryan over Ryan Callahan or Dustin Brown - Brown may be having the worst season of his career - he's on pace for something like 30 points and he doesn't even hit much anymore (Hertl not withstanding). An NHL captain brings intangibles that work better in the NHL playoffs than in the Olympics if you ask me.

The article had pretty much all the US brass say that Bobby Ryan's power play numbers were the weakest of the bunch - I wonder why - in Anaheim, he never had a chance with the top powerplay unit as Getzlaf, Selanne and Perry would eat all the minutes - any wonder why he may have wanted out of there? The part I found most insulting was having Callahan as a lock the entire time and even having him penciled in as a top six while basically having Ryan on the outside looking in the entire time. You don't need NHL leadership (Brown and Callahan) in a short goalie driven tournament like this - you need a hot goalie, goal scorers, and possibly decent shootout shooters. That's about it - Ryan may not be good at shootouts or a goalie, but he's a goal scorer and has that going for him over Brown and Callahan.

Callahan in the top six would make me puke, wouldn't put it past Bylsma, he loves the try guys.

I'm wondering if you don't think Ryan isn't worth it unless he's in the top six, can't it also make sense to pick him, and make him the extra forward that plays if something happens to a top six guy? I guess politically that would be tough to do, scratching a 30 goal scorer, but it would be good roster construction.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Yandle and Ryan, not sure what is so special about Okposo though. 40 pts in 41 games this year, is that because he is actually better? Because the previous 4 years are nothing special, nothing better than what Stepan has done.

I want players on the roster who are playing well right now. Kyle Okposo is kicking serious ass of late. His numbers speak for themselves this season.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Callahan in the top six would make me puke, wouldn't put it past Bylsma, he loves the try guys.

I'm wondering if you don't think Ryan isn't worth it unless he's in the top six, can't it also make sense to pick him, and make him the extra forward that plays if something happens to a top six guy? I guess politically that would be tough to do, scratching a 30 goal scorer, but it would be good roster construction.

I wouldn't have Callahan on the team.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a Rangers fan, even I agree. Cally belongs in the bottom 6 banging bodies with guys like Brown and Backes.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Rangers fan, even I agree. Cally belongs in the bottom 6 banging bodies with guys like Brown and Backes.

How many Grinders does a team need? Dustin Brown has a pathetic 13 points this season. We have enough leaders. This team needs goal scorers. Poille blew it.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many Grinders does a team need? Dustin Brown has a pathetic 13 points this season. We have enough leaders. This team needs goal scorers. Poille blew it.

Callahan might be the best leader out of all of them though. He's very well liked and loved by his fans and team mates, I think he is a great captain. He can get dirty and go to places other players wont. Not afraid to be in front of net, that's where most of his goals come from. Callahan will fit in just fine, same as he did in 2010, just not in the top 6.

Or are you just bashing him because you wanted Okposo in?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Callahan might be the best leader out of all of them though. He's very well liked and loved by his fans and team mates, I think he is a great captain. He can get dirty and go to places other players wont. Not afraid to be in front of net, that's where most of his goals come from. Callahan will fit in just fine, same as he did in 2010, just not in the top 6.

Or are you just bashing him because you wanted Okposo in?

I want the best players on the team because that's what Canada, Sweden & Russia are going to do. The USA just lost to Russia in the quarterfinals of the World Jr tourney. I actually will be surprised if this team gets past the quarterfinals. Goaltending is their only shot. Yandle, Ryan & Okposo should be on the team.

Even if Canada doesn't have Stamkos, they've still got Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Getzlaf, Perry & so many others. They're loaded. The Russians & the team nobody really talks about Sweden will be very tough.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want the best players on the team because that's what Canada, Sweden & Russia are going to do. The USA just lost to Russia in the quarterfinals of the World Jr tourney. I actually will be surprised if this team gets past the quarterfinals. Goaltending is their only shot. Yandle, Ryan & Okposo should be on the team.

Even if Canada doesn't have Stamkos, they've still got Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Getzlaf, Perry & so many others. They're loaded. The Russians & the team nobody really talks about Sweden will be very tough.

Our goaltending is our biggest strength, and will be just like it was in 2010. If Miller is hot, we aren't that beatable.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our goaltending is our biggest strength, and will be just like it was in 2010. If Miller is hot, we aren't that beatable.

Last I checked Canada won the Gold last time & Miller was between the pipes. We're going to have the same problem we did in 2010. That team wasn't able to put enough rubber on Luongo because it couldn't beat the Canadian defense.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked Canada won the Gold last time & Miller was between the pipes. We're going to have the same problem we did in 2010. That team wasn't able to put enough rubber on Luongo because it couldn't beat the Canadian defense.

But without Miller, are we in the Gold medal round? Probably not, there was a reason he was the MVP of the tourney.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But without Miller, are we in the Gold medal round? Probably not, there was a reason he was the MVP of the tourney.

We don't even know if Miller is going to be the #1 goalie. It might be Quick. I don't think it will matter in the end. I expect Canada to find a way to win the Gold. It would be a huge upset if they were to not win it. They're stacked at every position.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't even know if Miller is going to be the #1 goalie. It might be Quick. I don't think it will matter in the end. I expect Canada to find a way to win the Gold. It would be a huge upset if they were to not win it. They're stacked at every position.

Idk, Quick hasn't been healthy, not sure they will risk it. Miller has been playing well over the last month or so, all signs point to him being the starter.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada will be the Gold favorite for this Olympics, and probably all of them for the foreseeable future. Just stacked...forever. I think Russia is only in the running this year because it's home for them. They'd need a goalie playing over his head. I think the US team is better than Sweden's. A bit deeper, especially in goal. If Hank doesn't remove his head from his buttocks like he's played a bit this year, they may struggle. Finland worries me with Rask...but they lack depth too. I think that US and Canada are the deepest teams from top to bottom, but the US lacks "game breakers" that some other teams have. If Patty Kane gets going, and Miller is on his game, they can beat anyone.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada will be the Gold favorite for this Olympics, and probably all of them for the foreseeable future. Just stacked...forever. I think Russia is only in the running this year because it's home for them. They'd need a goalie playing over his head. I think the US team is better than Sweden's. A bit deeper, especially in goal. If Hank doesn't remove his head from his buttocks like he's played a bit this year, they may struggle. Finland worries me with Rask...but they lack depth too. I think that US and Canada are the deepest teams from top to bottom, but the US lacks "game breakers" that some other teams have. If Patty Kane gets going, and Miller is on his game, they can beat anyone.

Sweden will surprise. I just have a feeling they going to play well. I don't like our forwards overall. Yandle should be on the team. We're going to miss him.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweden will surprise. I just have a feeling they going to play well. I don't like our forwards overall. Yandle should be on the team. We're going to miss him.

Sweeden will be good. Zetts and Alfie have been great together in Detroit and would be stupid to break them up during the Olympics.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the account has since been deleted, I feel bad for the girl she looks young, didnt know her hockey as well which is not really a shock (but should know Crosby is canadian) I imagine she took quite an internet beating for this

Bc8wtoWIMAAwlHL.jpg