• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA-Ghana group stage soccer TV ratings beat the NBA Finals

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously people like soccer, but face it, it's never going to pass the other sports here in America. Hell, it won't even pass NASCAR
NASCAR, like soccer, is extremely popular among a certain segment of the population.

If you live north of the Mason-Dixon line and watch NASCAR, and aren't trying to be ironic, you're a freak (or total white trash).

If you live in several major American cities on the East Coast, Great Lakes or West Coast, or the more affluent suburbs thereof, soccer is increasingly popular.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than 5,000 people in Grant Park for the World Cup viewing party.

2.5 Million showed up for the Blackhawks parade lol

How many were in Grant Park to watch the first game of the playoffs? 500K? a million? none?

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the Team USA bandwagon boys! USA USA USA. I was jumping up down in the 1st minute and the 88th like LSU just scored in a National Championship game. I only know 4 or 5 players by name and couldn't tell who they play for, But i'm here and shouting. The only thing i don't like about watching the World Cup is all the Soccer snobs looking down at me because i'm a soccer fan right now. Fuck it. Might even get into the Premiere, Champions, or the MLS. USA USA USA

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the Team USA bandwagon boys! USA USA USA. I was jumping up down in the 1st minute and the 88th like LSU just scored in a National Championship game. I only know 4 or 5 players by name and couldn't tell who they play for, But i'm here and shouting. The only thing i don't like about watching the World Cup is all the Soccer snobs looking down at me because i'm a soccer fan right now. Fuck it. Might even get into the Premiere, Champions, or the MLS. USA USA USA

Happy to have you on board. The World Cup is where life long soccer fans are born.

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to like Jermaine Jone's play. Dude gets the job done and he is tough like what most NFL and CFB guys like. Heard he got a lot of flak over getting yellow carded and some stupid shit he has said awhile back. like i said earlier tho.. FUCK IT.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to like Jermaine Jone's play. Dude gets the job done and he is tough like what most NFL and CFB guys like. Heard he got a lot of flak over getting yellow carded and some stupid shit he has said awhile back. like i said earlier tho.. FUCK IT.

Jones puts in the dirty work and does a damn good job at it. He's an asset to this team.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1994 World Cup had sellouts almost everywhere. Over 100,000 in the LA Coliseum for the women's World Cup when that was played in this country.

And after that World Cup, Soccer enthusiasts were saying how Women's soccer was going to take off in this country. It was going to be huge and taken serious for years to come.

Here we are 20yrs later and no such thing has happened. All Brandi Chastain is remembered for is taking her shirt off after her successful "shootout" winning kick.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to Sports talk Radio this morning and dude brought up a great point.

The World Cup in a way is the playoffs for Soccer. The most watched event in the world. So why in the hell would you have a rule that penalty kicks will decide the champion? (if need be) Why not play until you get a winner?

Could you imagine the Super Bowl decided by a Field Goal kicking contest? Or the World Series decided by a HR derby competition? NBA champion having a free throw competition? NHL champion decided by a shootout?

Penalty kicks to decide a World Cup champion is DUMB. Play until there's a legit goal.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And after that World Cup, Soccer enthusiasts were saying how Women's soccer was going to take off in this country. It was going to be huge and taken serious for years to come.

Here we are 20yrs later and no such thing has happened. All Brandi Chastain is remembered for is taking her shirt off after her successful "shootout" winning kick.

Women's anything will never be taken serious. Watching women play a sport is like watching men play it in 2 feet of water.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to Sports talk Radio this morning and dude brought up a great point.

The World Cup in a way is the playoffs for Soccer. The most watched event in the world. So why in the hell would you have a rule that penalty kicks will decide the champion? (if need be) Why not play until you get a winner?

Could you imagine the Super Bowl decided by a Field Goal kicking contest? Or the World Series decided by a HR derby competition? NBA champion having a free throw competition? NHL champion decided by a shootout?

Penalty kicks to decide a World Cup champion is DUMB. Play until there's a legit goal.

This is another objection I have to the sport, but I'm done now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Umm hockey games are decided by shoot outs all the time. :L

The game doesn't need to change.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm hockey games are decided by shoot outs all the time. :L

The game doesn't need to change.

Not in the playoffs or Stanley Cup Finals. Like the radio guy said, the World Cup is pretty much considered the playoffs of Soccer.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the playoffs or Stanley Cup Finals

Well that's the way it is. I can see what you're saying, but it's not going to change. Personally, I don't have a problem with it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the playoffs or Stanley Cup Finals. Like the radio guy said, the World Cup is pretty much considered the playoffs of Soccer.

I don't get what he's going at with that last line. Yes, the World Cup is an international soccer tournament. The biggest obviously, but there are huge professional tournaments and other international tournaments as well. At some point a winner has to be decided and a penalty shoot our only occurs after two overtime halves. It's basically the equivalent of college overtime and starting in the opponents half. They don't play regular football until someone scores. Overtime in football is designed to speed up the process of finding a winner. Just like a penalty shoot out.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at not liking soccer because of 1 or 2 minor rules

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like a tie would go directly to Penalty Kicks either. They still play two 15 minute overtime periods (an additional third of the game) prior to PKs

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the penalty kicks deciding the winner either, but soccer is a lot lower scoring. You could end up playing all night. Also, with the substitutions rule if you play long enough and have injuries you could have the hockey version of a power play deciding who wins, not too mention guys who are so tired they can barely walk. All in all I'd add a couple more extra overtime periods, but I get why it has to be finite unlike in hockey.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the penalty kicks deciding the winner either, but soccer is a lot lower scoring. You could end up playing all night. Also, with the substitutions rule if you play long enough and have injuries you could have the hockey version of a power play deciding who wins, not too mention guys who are so tired they can barely walk. All in all I'd add a couple more extra overtime periods, but I get why it has to be finite unlike in hockey.

The casual observer of the game may not realize teams are only allowed 3 subs and once you come off, there's no going back on. After a 120 min game, dudes are going to be really tired.

The game ending because someone was so tired that they made a stupid mistake isn't much better to me than PKs after 120.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell me what to do, thx.

I watch but still don't get it. Also, the announcers tell us nothing about the strategies being used. Nothing. That's not on the prospective fans, that's on the people trying to promote the sport. They do a pretty shitty job.

Actually they do, you just don't understand what they are saying.