• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Treadwell-WR

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point. I am more suggesting I don't think his fall would have been as dramatic as it was. I mean look at his next contract in teams still saw the guy as having talent that was maybe being misused. He obviously showed though that he has reached that point where he just isn't even a good #3 WR in this league.

Having watched Smith almost his entire career, you have summed it up right. I actually like Alex Smith as a QB but he has been risk averse in his play. He would rather check down than throw into tight windows. From the limited amount of games of him I've watched this past year, he seems to have taken some more chances. Historically he hasn't been great connecting with WRs.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ the time for a guy expected to run in the sub 4.5 range.

Early unofficial times from Ole Miss pro day had receiver Laquon Treadwell running in the mid 4.6s. I've been told anywhere from 4.63 to 4.66.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty sure this is about what most expected him to run and why he didn't run at the Combine. He is not known as a burner and knows that a slow 40 time quickly drops your value.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances that Robert Nkemdiche runs a faster time...

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats actually faster than expected i think most were expecting 4.7 or 4.8 this could help him

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good example of why you don't skip the 40 time at the combine. You can wake up on your pro day and not be as fast as you hoped. At least if you run both places you get two shots. And GM's clearly forget about the combine time if you improve on it at your pro day so really the combine should just be viewed as practice.

Though as a Vike's fan I am loving this. This 40 time means there is little chance of him going in the top 14 picks. It also means there is little chance a WR goes in the 1st 14 picks. That works out well for us.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good example of why you don't skip the 40 time at the combine. You can wake up on your pro day and not be as fast as you hoped. At least if you run both places you get two shots. And GM's clearly forget about the combine time if you improve on it at your pro day so really the combine should just be viewed as practice.

Though as a Vike's fan I am loving this. This 40 time means there is little chance of him going in the top 14 picks. It also means there is little chance a WR goes in the 1st 14 picks. That works out well for us.

Agree...you're working for a draft slot...If you're working out and training for the combine and don't run your best time, you have another shot to improve on it at your pro day.

In his case...Idt teams were looking at him as a deep threat burner...It might not push him down as far as you think.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this day and age, you might be better off covering Treadwell with a Safety to nullify all of the + skills. Its not like he is going to beat the S with speed or agility.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats actually faster than expected i think most were expecting 4.7 or 4.8 this could help him

Pro day times are usually faster, as they are hand-timed. He may have been in the 4.7s if he had been timed electronically.

Regardless, most of this draft class ran 4.6 or slower, other than a handful of smaller guys.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treadwell's profile seems to line up with Deandre Hopkins. A super-physical receiver with zero YAC capability. Hopkins best year had the same number of receptions as Treadwell but Hopkins had 250 more yards and 7 more TDs. I think its fair to say Treadwell is a poor man's Hopkins. I would comp him to someone like Eric Decker which is still a 1st round grade imo.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this day and age, you might be better off covering Treadwell with a Safety to nullify all of the + skills. Its not like he is going to beat the S with speed or agility.

I think 40 time in the NFL is kind of like 0-60 in a car...it's the staple, but 0-40 is probably a better benchmark...if he has a really slow 10 to 20 split I would be more concerned about separation.

I think you can do that with an elite or very good S...with good route running training alone, I think he would beat the avg NFL S off the LOS or they would have to give him a cushion.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treadwell's profile seems to line up with Deandre Hopkins. A super-physical receiver with zero YAC capability. Hopkins best year had the same number of receptions as Treadwell but Hopkins had 250 more yards and 7 more TDs. I think its fair to say Treadwell is a poor man's Hopkins. I would comp him to someone like Eric Decker which is still a 1st round grade imo.

I think of him as a rich man's Mohamed Sanu.

He's a possession WR that isn't going to be able to scare people over the top. But he is still a solid WR.

Completely disagree with the zero YAC capability. Treadwell is solid with the ball in his hands. A ton of his yards in college came from catching screens or underneath routes and YAC. He reads the field well and most importantly Treadwell, unlike A LOT of WR's, is a natural football player. The guy is hard nosed and not scared and won't shy away from turning up the field.

The 40 is certainly a little concerning as there is a baseline speed every WR needs to have. But the 4.6 speed is probably just fast enough. Everyone knew coming into the draft process he wasn't going to burn that time.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a possession WR that isn't going to be able to scare people over the top. But he is still a solid WR.

Completely disagree with the zero YAC capability. Treadwell is solid with the ball in his hands. A ton of his yards in college came from catching screens or underneath routes and YAC. He reads the field well and most importantly Treadwell, unlike A LOT of WR's, is a natural football player. The guy is hard nosed and not scared and won't shy away from turning up the field.

The 40 is certainly a little concerning as there is a baseline speed every WR needs to have. But the 4.6 speed is probably just fast enough. Everyone knew coming into the draft process he wasn't going to burn that time.
Jarvis Landry is a WR that totally tanked the combine but still had all of the WR skills to become a high volume WR and he has a somewhat respectable YAC so I can see him getting a little bit of space if you scheme him as your #1 WR but Treadwell is probably just a great #2 WR prospect.

Its weird to see someone say a WR is like a rich man's Sanu and also say he is desirable. Sanu has been a bit lackluster imo.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sanu might not be a bad comparison, I still like the Roddy White comparison...Roddy came in running faster, Treadwell seems to have better hands, but White developed into a solid possession WR that could get deep every now and then.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by size and 40, he's a more aggressive Sanu, or a stronger Rishard Matthews.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by size and 40, he's a more aggressive Sanu, or a stronger Rishard Matthews.
If thats the case, you'll see Doctson and Thomas drafted before him.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanu might not be a bad comparison, I still like the Roddy White comparison...Roddy came in running faster, Treadwell seems to have better hands, but White developed into a solid possession WR that could get deep every now and then.

It's the one thing that people probably don't realize: Most NFL players 5 years into their career while at their peak couldn't run a 40 time at anywhere close to as quick as they did before entering the league.

The 40 time for Treadwell is a little concerning....but what is just as concerning was his 33" vertical. He's not a great physical athlete for the position.

But it doesn't mean he still can't have a good career. Some of the best players in the league haven't been great athletes for their position. Obviously there are greats like Steve Largent and Cris Carter that come to mind. But more modern players are guys like Anquan Boldin, Keenan Allen, Larry Fitzgerald.

The only real requirement as a WR is to catch balls that are thrown your way. Lot of different ways to do that: Speed, quickness, technique and the one that is hardest to measure: desire. Treadwell is a guy that with the right technique is going to be able to create some separation and then use his desire to go get the football. The guy is an old school football player that plays with the tenacity you want to see.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the one thing that people probably don't realize: Most NFL players 5 years into their career while at their peak couldn't run a 40 time at anywhere close to as quick as they did before entering the league.

The 40 time for Treadwell is a little concerning....but what is just as concerning was his 33" vertical. He's not a great physical athlete for the position.

But it doesn't mean he still can't have a good career. Some of the best players in the league haven't been great athletes for their position. Obviously there are greats like Steve Largent and Cris Carter that come to mind. But more modern players are guys like Anquan Boldin, Keenan Allen, Larry Fitzgerald.

The only real requirement as a WR is to catch balls that are thrown your way. Lot of different ways to do that: Speed, quickness, technique and the one that is hardest to measure: desire. Treadwell is a guy that with the right technique is going to be able to create some separation and then use his desire to go get the football. The guy is an old school football player that plays with the tenacity you want to see.

Good points and well stated...I still contend 40 time is a little overrated especially for a possession guy with size, strength and some burst...aside from that we'll have to see how he develops, but I agree with your assessment.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If thats the case, you'll see Doctson and Thomas drafted before him.

Again, that's just by size and 40 time. Obviously game tape is far more important, I was just looking for a physical comp. I'm not overwhelmed by this WR class, so it's all relative. I do like Sterling Shepard, but being a slot guy pushes him to probably a late 2nd rounder.

I'm not sure what to make of Thomas (Ohio State). In a quirk of the upcoming draft, I do like Mike Thomas (SoMiss) as a rising prospect on day 3. Doctson is another spread guy that was highly productive, but not physically impressive really. I wish Braxton Miller had another year or two at WR under his belt already.