• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Treadwell-WR

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many love him, i personally dont

this sums up my thoughts well so i'll copy it

Over the past two seasons, the NFL Draft has produced some strong classes of wide receivers. This year, the draft isn't as strong at wideout, but that hasn't stopped the media from hyping up Ole Miss wide receiver Laquon Treadwell. It isn't surprising, as Treadwell was a star recruit coming out of high school, and he was a 3-year producer at Ole Miss. There have been lofty comparisons with Treadwell to other elite receiver prospects, but NFL teams aren't grading Treadwell that high. In fact, most of the teams we've spoken to have Treadwell as a late first-rounder, with only one saying they have him as mid first-round pick.

The teams that are grading Treadwell as a late first-rounder say whoever likes him enough to draft him might do so in the middle of the first round. A general manger of a playoff team believes that Treadwell is a little overrated, and he views him as a big, strong, possession receiver in the NFL. Two other teams said they had Treadwell as a late first-rounder. One college scouting director said Treadwell could go in the mid first because this a weak year for receivers and teams will draft out of need at the position.

The reason that teams aren't as high on Treadwell as the hype machine is a lack of speed to separate. They view Treadwell as a big, strong, long, possession receiver with good hands. He routinely uses his size and strength beat defensive backs for 50-50 passes. However, he isn't fast or explosive. He isn't a vertical threat to stretch a defense over the top. If Treadwell had speed, he'd be similar to Julio Jones or A.J. Green and a top 10-pick. Teams say they aren't expecting Treadwell to run fast at the Combine.

The team that has Treadwell graded as a mid first-round pick, and liked him more than others, believes he has some characteristics similar to the Texans' DeAndre Hopkins in the ability to win 50-50 passes. Hopkins was a late first-rounder in the 2013 NFL Draft, but Houston clearly out-scouted the rest of the league, as Hopkins is one of the best players to come out of that draft class.

If the 6-foot-2, 229-pound Treadwell runs well at the Combine, it could help to change some minds and push his draft grade higher. Right now, teams see him in the middle to back half of the picks on Thursday night with a grade of a late first-rounder being held by many teams.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treadwell has 2 good features:

1) not afraid to catch the ball up the middle
2) good at tracking the ball in the air

He'll be a good NFL player. Probably a 1,000yd WR a few times. Not sure if he is worth a top 10 pick. Doubt he'll ever get much YAC or change how an opponents defense schemes.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treadwell has 2 good features:

1) not afraid to catch the ball up the middle
2) good at tracking the ball in the air

He'll be a good NFL player. Probably a 1,000yd WR a few times. Not sure if he is worth a top 10 pick. Doubt he'll ever get much YAC or change how an opponents defense schemes.
Dwayne Jarrett had those features, so did mike Williams a lot of guys do

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwayne Jarrett had those features, so did mike Williams a lot of guys do
Walterfootball is using the Kenny Britt comparison. I think he'll have better hands than Britt but is otherwise a pretty good comparison. Mayock is way high on him which he might have to walk back a bit.

Are there any WRs you like in the first round?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the games I've seen...Treadwell will be a pretty good NFL WR, catches the ball in his hands, Julio-like physicality, willing blocker...but projecting to this level it might take him a yr or so to get the full route tree down...and be a legit WR1.

If I were BAL or say LA...a team that would need him to be a #1 in '16, I would probably pass...the team that he best fits right now imo would be ATL to replace Roddy as the #2.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen enough of Treadwell to really have a strong opinion. I do like Boyd and Carroo, both of whom can be had after the first. I think I prefer Doctson to Thomas (Ohio St) or Corey Coleman. Higgins could be a bit of a sleeper after losing his QB to graduation prior to the season (or he could just have come down to earth). Mike Thomas (Southern Miss) is being overlooked I think.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would draft Treadwell in a heartbeat!! Amari Cooper, Crabs, Roberts, and Treadwell.. Im good with that..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonte Carroo is my favorite receiver in this draft. He has injury and off the field concerns which is why he has dropped but the guy has some decent speed and the best hands I have ever seen from a draft prospect. He had terrible QB play so he was constantly having to adjust his body to make catches and it just seemed like anything that was even remotely catchable he was the one that came down with it.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walterfootball is using the Kenny Britt comparison. I think he'll have better hands than Britt but is otherwise a pretty good comparison. Mayock is way high on him which he might have to walk back a bit.

Are there any WRs you like in the first round?
britt could be fare, but thats not top 15 for me.......at allllll

i dont like any of them in the first to be honest, i like some, but not in the first

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the games I've seen...Treadwell will be a pretty good NFL WR, catches the ball in his hands, Julio-like physicality, willing blocker...but projecting to this level it might take him a yr or so to get the full route tree down...and be a legit WR1.

If I were BAL or say LA...a team that would need him to be a #1 in '16, I would probably pass...the team that he best fits right now imo would be ATL to replace Roddy as the #2.
u keep saying roddy white, and julio phsyically, julio is a monster physically, and im not seeing roddy, legitimately , educate me

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u keep saying roddy white, and julio phsyically, julio is a monster physically, and im not seeing roddy, legitimately , educate me

I don't recall making any comparison to Roddy...only that he would be a good #2 to Julio in place of Roddy...no, you're right...Julio is a beast...Treadwell does play physical though...will go over the middle...down the seam etc.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall making any comparison to Roddy...only that he would be a good #2 to Julio in place of Roddy...no, you're right...Julio is a beast...Treadwell does play physical though...will go over the middle...down the seam etc.
oh geeze i read wrong, and i thought it was in another thread.....sorry bud, i wasnt being a jerk, i loved roddy coming out of college, and thought maybe i was missing something

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh geeze i read wrong, and i thought it was in another thread.....sorry bud, i wasnt being a jerk, i loved roddy coming out of college, and thought maybe i was missing something

no sweat...I still like Roddy...might be a tad slow for a #2 now, but Shanny and his unbalanced approach on the targets will make it tough on any #2 to reach 1000 yds.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He reminds me of a young Boldin(who i love) good hands, physical, and slow. I really want the Lions to use there first 2 picks on Dline, but i'd be pretty happy if they draft Treadwell love receivers who are willing blockers.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
britt could be fare, but thats not top 15 for me.......at allllll

i dont like any of them in the first to be honest, i like some, but not in the first
I dont think he is top 15 but I do think he is lower first round. If Treadwell was in the past 2 WR drafts, though, he'd be the 4th or 5th one off the board. Walterfootball I think has a rd2 grade on him atm. CBS has him at #6 overall still and Mayock says he is clearly the best WR in the draft. I think we are looking at a Teddy Bridgewater situation all over again where the outsiders say he is great and the insiders let him pass.

Honestly, if your team didn't address #1 WR in the last 2 drafts and your team still needs one then your team messed up. There are probably just a bunch of #2 WR prospects. We haven't even really seen was last year's draft can do because the best 2 WR prospects imo both got injured and projects like DGB and Conley were just getting started.

This might be a once in a decade linebacker draft, though. You could be looking at 6+ players ranging in the good player to star range. WR is deep like LB but nothing at the top imo.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Treadwell as a top 10 pick. At 28, I'd have to seriously consider it. I'd also have to say I'd prefer the top DL and LB prospects to any of the top WR targets just looking at who's available in the first two rounds.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Treadwell as a top 10 pick. At 28, I'd have to seriously consider it. I'd also have to say I'd prefer the top DL and LB prospects to any of the top WR targets just looking at who's available in the first two rounds.

He would be a nice compliment to that of Maclin but to me the problem is Alex Smith has shown he doesn't like to throw a ton of jump balls. He is less of a risk taker (although he has taken a few more as of recent). I just remember with Bowe he was not that great at separation but it was the jump balls that he was known for in the Red Zone. It is why he scored a touchdown in what 8 straight games because the QB would give him a chance in the End Zone to out jump the Corner. Then in came Alex Smith and he just didn't like throwing into those tight windows with the chance that it could be intercepted. If Smith can get a little more comfortable throwing those jump balls I think a Maclin/Treadwell combo would be very tough to defend. A team would need 2 styles of Corners to cover them.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be a nice compliment to that of Maclin but to me the problem is Alex Smith has shown he doesn't like to throw a ton of jump balls. He is less of a risk taker (although he has taken a few more as of recent). I just remember with Bowe he was not that great at separation but it was the jump balls that he was known for in the Red Zone. It is why he scored a touchdown in what 8 straight games because the QB would give him a chance in the End Zone to out jump the Corner.

Agreed that Smith doesn't exactly risk too much in jump ball situations. At the same time, it is worth nothing that it was pretty apparent that Bowe had declined quite a bit (pretty clear dip post 2012) and was a huge mistake to give him the contract they gave him in hindsight. Bowe just quite frankly wasn't anything special all on his own from 2013-2015. Winning 50-50 balls is nice, but I just don't see Treadwell being another DeAndre Hopkins which for me screams #2. Why draft Treadwell in the first if you can draft Doctson, Coleman, et al (two more stylistic fits) to fill that #2 role? Or they could just skip out and hope Chris Conley takes the next step which may or not be something worth hedging.

Then in came Alex Smith and he just didn't like throwing into those tight windows with the chance that it could be intercepted. If Smith can get a little more comfortable throwing those jump balls I think a Maclin/Treadwell combo would be very tough to defend. A team would need 2 styles of Corners to cover them.

Now here's something that's interesting. I for one would just be fine grabbing a DT/DL (or maybe a LB if the right one drops) and just seeing if Conley could turn into a guy you can throw jumpballs to out wide instead, but it's definitely a worthy idea on paper. With Kelce (middle) and Conley (Wide) already on the roster I don't think finding someone of Treadwell's skillset is imperative, but it's definitely worth a good look. When it comes down to it, I just don't see Treadwell ever being that #1 guy like Hopkins turned into, and when push comes to shove I'll take a passrusher over such a player.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that Smith doesn't exactly risk too much in jump ball situations. At the same time, it is worth nothing that it was pretty apparent that Bowe had declined quite a bit (pretty clear dip post 2012) and was a huge mistake to give him the contract they gave him in hindsight. Bowe just quite frankly wasn't anything special all on his own from 2013-2015. Winning 50-50 balls is nice, but I just don't see Treadwell being another DeAndre Hopkins which for me screams #2. Why draft Treadwell in the first if you can draft Doctson, Coleman, et al (two more stylistic fits) to fill that #2 role? Or they could just skip out and hope Chris Conley takes the next step which may or not be something worth hedging.

Now here's something that's interesting. I for one would just be fine grabbing a DT/DL (or maybe a LB if the right one drops) and just seeing if Conley could turn into a guy you can throw jumpballs to out wide instead, but it's definitely a worthy idea on paper. With Kelce (middle) and Conley (Wide) already on the roster I don't think finding someone of Treadwell's skillset is imperative, but it's definitely worth a good look. When it comes down to it, I just don't see Treadwell ever being that #1 guy like Hopkins turned into, and when push comes to shove I'll take a passrusher over such a player.

I don't disagree with you. To me even in the late part of round 1 there are going to be some great DL/LB guys that could turn into stars. I look at a guy like Robert Nkemdiche that honestly reminds me a bit of Clowney in having ridiculous athleticism but not quite the production you would hope for a guy of his ability. Get him with the right coaching staff and you could have top-5 production from a bottom of round 1 pick. Shaq Lawson and Noah Spence I have seen them top-10 clear down into round 2. Again 2 highly athletic players that have a couple of red flags but if those check out you could be getting the steal of the draft.

When you compare that to a WR that while good is closer to a #2 than a #1 WR then yeah I agree you take the DL/LB help over him.