• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tom Herman is not effing around

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta have an aggressive, alpha male personality along with an AD that isn't afraid to tell them to STFU and cut the checks.

I've never seen anyone handle your boosters the way Mack Brown did.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT was all Deloss Dodds. I LITERALLY saw him tell a booster to STFU and cut the check

The thing about Texas football is the boosters will put up with being told to stfu and will continue to write the checks as long as they're winning.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times did ol Mack do that? Texas is irrelevant until further notice.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday Five: The five coaches most likely to win their first national title

4. Tom Herman, Texas
Texas has been down for a few years, but that's been more a result of it not finding the right coach, not the program's ability to succeed. And everything you need in place to win a national title is available to you at Texas. We've already seen how Tom Herman can recruit at Houston, and now he's doing so with the Longhorns logo on his polo shirt. He's also coached in a lot of big games -- whether as an OC or while at Houston -- and won in such situations. I fully expect Texas to be receiving a College Football Playoff berth at some point in the next three years.

texas_herman.jpeg

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Texas football is the boosters will put up with being told to stfu and will continue to write the checks as long as they're winning.

Dodds was the AD a looooooong time. They weren't always winning.......but he was ALWAYS in charge.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friday Five: The five coaches most likely to win their first national title

4. Tom Herman, Texas
Texas has been down for a few years, but that's been more a result of it not finding the right coach, not the program's ability to succeed. And everything you need in place to win a national title is available to you at Texas. We've already seen how Tom Herman can recruit at Houston, and now he's doing so with the Longhorns logo on his polo shirt. He's also coached in a lot of big games -- whether as an OC or while at Houston -- and won in such situations. I fully expect Texas to be receiving a College Football Playoff berth at some point in the next three years.

texas_herman.jpeg

I have predicted that Tom Herman will win a NC at Texas, probably next year or the year after. And I will also predict he ends up being the first head football coach to get Texas into serious hot water with the NCAA. I fully expect him to do whatever is necessary to win at Texas and that will eventually lead to UT looking back and thinking about how (a) it was worth it to win a NC or (b) not worth it because they will be embarrassed by what happened under his watch. You want another prediction? Lincoln Riley will be the coach at Oklahoma long after Herman is run off at Texas and Riley will win more NC's that Bob Stoops.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have predicted that Tom Herman will win a NC at Texas, probably next year or the year after. And I will also predict he ends up being the first head football coach to get Texas into serious hot water with the NCAA. I fully expect him to do whatever is necessary to win at Texas and that will eventually lead to UT looking back and thinking about how (a) it was worth it to win a NC or (b) not worth it because they will be embarrassed by what happened under his watch. You want another prediction? Lincoln Riley will be the coach at Oklahoma long after Herman is run off at Texas and Riley will win more NC's that Bob Stoops.

I'll take that bet.

Herman isn't dirty. He's a mensa member.......his attention to detail and work ethic are what makes him different from previous Texas coaches. He considers guys like Belichek mentors.

It's why he's cleaning up on the recruiting trail. He pays attention to every little thing, he focuses on what's important, and he works that angle. He's telling these kids how he will use them, he's showing them all the things they want to see. The edits they are making.....the videos, the new lockers, the team designed Nike shoes, etc etc.

Chances IMO are much higher that your wet behind the ears HC will commit multiple violations than Herman.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take that bet.

Herman isn't dirty. He's a mensa member.......his attention to detail and work ethic are what makes him different from previous Texas coaches. He considers guys like Belichek mentors.

It's why he's cleaning up on the recruiting trail. He pays attention to every little thing, he focuses on what's important, and he works that angle. He's telling these kids how he will use them, he's showing them all the things they want to see. The edits they are making.....the videos, the new lockers, the team designed Nike shoes, etc etc.

Chances IMO are much higher that your wet behind the ears HC will commit multiple violations than Herman.

Star, come on! What does being a Mensa member have to do with being dirty? I joined Mensa years ago, went to exactly two meetings, and realized the members were just average people --- except for the ones who reveled in being "special" because they belonged to Mensa. I know some of you Horns fans are ecstatic right now. Hell I would be too after getting rid of Charlie Strong. But remember something: Tom Herman became UT's fantasy coach only after Big Loss Bob blew another one. Then TH proceeded to lose to teams like SMU, Navy and Memphis but you were already in love. It's fine by me. I think he'll bring some pizzaz back to the conference but he'll never last at Texas. Never.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now do you expect Herman to get in trouble w/ the NCAA or do you hope he does?:D

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now do you expect Herman to get in trouble w/ the NCAA or do you hope he does?:D

I expect him to. I don't think he's Superman with a whistle. The Horns fans do and that's fine but he's not a ball of fire. Last season proved that and no one wants to admit he was very average after knocking off a sleeping Oklahoma team in the first game. We can handle Tom Herman just fine. But I do expect him to walk on the wild side with his recruiting, his relationship with other people at UT, etc. and it will all end up with a problem on Texas' hands. UT, love them or hate them, has always been a clean program that plays clean football. If they want to keep that reputation they'll have to keep a keen eye on what Herman does over the long term.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star, come on! What does being a Mensa member have to do with being dirty? I joined Mensa years ago, went to exactly two meetings, and realized the members were just average people --- except for the ones who reveled in being "special" because they belonged to Mensa. I know some of you Horns fans are ecstatic right now. Hell I would be too after getting rid of Charlie Strong. But remember something: Tom Herman became UT's fantasy coach only after Big Loss Bob blew another one. Then TH proceeded to lose to teams like SMU, Navy and Memphis but you were already in love. It's fine by me. I think he'll bring some pizzaz back to the conference but he'll never last at Texas. Never.

LOL, sounds like hopes and dreams on your part.......you don't know anything about the man.

I'm saying simply put.......there is a greater chance Riley gets in trouble than Herman. He's following a legend coach, he doesn't know what he's doing, and it's not like cheating hasn't been a specialty at OU in years past.

Herman has proven to us thus far that he is a stickler for details......he knows every single violation he can get in trouble for, and he knows Texas has a reputation of NOT getting into trouble.

I'd place my bets on him before Riley and so would most reasonable people, regardless of the schools involved.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect him to. I don't think he's Superman with a whistle. The Horns fans do and that's fine but he's not a ball of fire. Last season proved that and no one wants to admit he was very average after knocking off a sleeping Oklahoma team in the first game. We can handle Tom Herman just fine. But I do expect him to walk on the wild side with his recruiting, his relationship with other people at UT, etc. and it will all end up with a problem on Texas' hands. UT, love them or hate them, has always been a clean program that plays clean football. If they want to keep that reputation they'll have to keep a keen eye on what Herman does over the long term.
Keep an eye out for the Herman - Russia connection.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why am I not shocked an OK fan expects Herman to fail @ Texas? What proof do you have right now to suggest the Longhorns have to keep an eye on him over the long term? And that's why I originally asked you if you expected or hoped Herman to get in trouble w/ the NCAA. And right now after your comment I'm leaning much closer to you hope rather than you expect it to happen.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I seriously doubt it. First of all, Herman has a long way to go before having a chance to win a nc. Hell, I'll take a winning season at this point. Second, the expectation at Texas has always been high with the pressure even higher. If Texas was going to get in trouble, it would have happened long before now. Strong, and certainly Brown toward his end felt the pressure, and we are in line as much as any other school. Do all these schools take a gray area every now and then, sure, but they usually don't cross the line. Usually.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he is a "ball of fire." Hell, I still remember SMU and few others from last year at Houston. The jury is still out for Herman. We just flat ass sucked the last 5 years. He has a long way to go. He may turn out to be the greatest coach in the world for Texas, or he may turn out to be the worst. I just hope he's given the time.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he is a "ball of fire." Hell, I still remember SMU and few others from last year at Houston. The jury is still out for Herman. We just flat ass sucked the last 5 years. He has a long way to go. He may turn out to be the greatest coach in the world for Texas, or he may turn out to be the worst. I just hope he's given the time.

All the Horns fans can diss what I'm saying but I'm basing my prediction on a couple of things. First, I don't know the guy but I do know people who know him pretty damn well. And that counts for something when they give me their honest opinions on what makes the guy tick. Second, I know UT fans and alumni by the boat loads and what they expect out of a head coach. Tom Herman will be a winner at Texas. Book it. But things are changing fast in the college world and it's a good bet he's going to rub some people wrong which is going to exasperate other friction he will create himself. I'm not talking a Joe Paterno-type scandal. I'm just expecting him to burn hot and fast at UT then have problems which will lead to him leaving the program in a few years with a lot of Texas fans saying "that was a hell of a ride!".

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait
Horn fans said @Goldbug was full of shit when he predicted the Strong debacle in advance.
Then said how smart @Goldbug was for predicting it, just months ago.

Now they're back to telling @Goldbug he's full of shit.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly we don't give a fuck about Texas, they simply are not relevant. OU has been the only thing keeping this shitty conference even halfway relevant.