• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tired of Dipoto Shopping at Walmart for Pitchers?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to bring this back around, but a problem the Mariners have is there is no one above Jerry that knows baseball. IMO Jerry is his own worst enemy because he has made some trades just to make trades and it's killed an already crappy farm system. Just like Bavasi and Jack Z, there needs to be a boss to make Jerry justify why he is making so many trades and nothing is getting better. A real boss could've understood 2017 was a lost season because of injuries, not giving up prospects just to fill out a rotation of just dudes.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry about that as this Front office has shown it fires GMs a year too late rather then a year to early so I'm not banking on him being fired for at least a few years.
So far he hasn't added anything to the rotation other then depth guys. And to get those guys he's traded guys like Alex Jackson, Drew Jackson, Chris Taylor, etc.

Well in Jerrys defense Alex Jackson looks like a bust in my opinion and when I say bust I mean it in a way that alex probably wont be anything special he will eventually make it to the majors and have a career as an average player probably be bounced to another team or 2. Drew jackson doesnt look like anything special and Chris Taylor had a good year for his expectations I think he played above his grade I wouldnt be surprised if he gest humbled this season, I'll tell you for sure that I would rather have segura than taylor so with cano as 2nd, segura at short, and seager at 3rd made taylor expendable. I remember when peole were upset that he let go brad miller and how he hit 30 homers for the Rays in 2016 but then look at his stats in 2017. Tai walker for the most part put up the same numbers he did with us which was above average he doesnt look like he is going to make the all star team anytime soon atleast not more than segura.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in Jerrys defense Alex Jackson looks like a bust in my opinion and when I say bust I mean it in a way that alex probably wont be anything special he will eventually make it to the majors and have a career as an average player probably be bounced to another team or 2. Drew jackson doesnt look like anything special and Chris Taylor had a good year for his expectations I think he played above his grade I wouldnt be surprised if he gest humbled this season, I'll tell you for sure that I would rather have segura than taylor so with cano as 2nd, segura at short, and seager at 3rd made taylor expendable. I remember when peole were upset that he let go brad miller and how he hit 30 homers for the Rays in 2016 but then look at his stats in 2017. Tai walker for the most part put up the same numbers he did with us which was above average he doesnt look like he is going to make the all star team anytime soon atleast not more than segura.

To me, it doesn't matter whether the prospects are busts or not, when you trade highly rated (for your system) for nothing, it makes no sense. No one saw Taylor becoming great, but the Dodgers just tweaked his swing, Dipoto gave him away without doing anything trying to improve his game. Walker may never amount to anything but he would've been the 2nd best pitcher on the Mariners staff.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it doesn't matter whether the prospects are busts or not, when you trade highly rated (for your system) for nothing, it makes no sense. No one saw Taylor becoming great, but the Dodgers just tweaked his swing, Dipoto gave him away without doing anything trying to improve his game. Walker may never amount to anything but he would've been the 2nd best pitcher on the Mariners staff.

Yankees have made a living at trading their high ranked prospects to us only to see them Ackley out. That is what a good GM does.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees have made a living at trading their high ranked prospects to us only to see them Ackley out. That is what a good GM does.

Yep, like trading a catching prospect who couldn't catch for an all star rookie pitcher. Jack should've known, he screwed Cashman just a few months prior on the Lee deal yet Cashman was still eager to trade with him?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox get Chris Sale.
Yankees get Sonny Gray and now they are on the verge of getting Gerrit Cole.
Astros get Justin Verlander.
Red Sox get Drew Polmeranz.

The last time the Mariners got one of the hottest pitchers on the trade market was probably Jeff Fassero. And we all know that turned into a disaster, but at least they were shopping Macys instead of Walmart.

Why can't Dipoto ever be in on any of these guys?

HEY! Look on the bright side, we traded Randy Johnson! :ninja:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEY! Look on the bright side, we traded Randy Johnson! :ninja:

David Ortiz, Jason Veritek, Derrick Lowe, Adam Jones, Tino Martinez, Jeff Nelson all say, "HI" as well... Horrible trades...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cobb would fit in nicely there now that darvish is off the table.

Who signs arrieta will also be fascinating.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Ortiz, Jason Veritek, Derrick Lowe, Adam Jones, Tino Martinez, Jeff Nelson all say, "HI" as well... Horrible trades...

OMG I know.... I still remember the Tino and Jeff Nelson trade like it was yesterday... I was SO pissed.. It didn't help either knowing they were going to the Yankees... #$@%^@#$^... The team we had just battled with in an epic extra inning ALDS .... And to make matters worse, we missed the playoffs the next year, Yankee won it all, it was the start of there dynasty ...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he didn't turn out to be jack but the Cruz Jr. for Tomlin Spoljerek (sp) pissed me off. Cruz didn't amount to anything but he was the number 1 prospect in American and got dealt for two bullpen arms, not a dominant closer but just two dudes who weren't good enough to start or close.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he didn't turn out to be jack but the Cruz Jr. for Timlin Spoljerek (sp) pissed me off. Cruz didn't amount to anything but he was the number 1 prospect in American and got dealt for two bullpen arms, not a dominant closer but just two dudes who weren't good enough to start or close.

That is the one I was going to bring up as well. I know Griffey wasn't happy about that trade either.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the one I was going to bring up as well. I know Griffey wasn't happy about that trade either.

I just remember I was so stoked to see him play, my buddies dad was a huge Brewers fan and Cruz got on TV to see him and got pulled from the game and they said Seattle got two nobody's from Toronto. A Brewers fans laughed at us, that's how bad it was.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he didn't turn out to be jack but the Cruz Jr. for Tomlin Spoljerek (sp) pissed me off. Cruz didn't amount to anything but he was the number 1 prospect in American and got dealt for two bullpen arms, not a dominant closer but just two dudes who weren't good enough to start or close.

I think I was only about 7 or so back when that trade happened, so I don't know my thoughts at the time. But imagine if the Mariners had Jose Cruz Jr. on the 2001 team that won 116 games.

Al Martin 2001: .240/.330/.382, 15 2B, 7 HR, 42 RBI, 9 SB
Jose Cruz Jr. 2001: 274/.326/.520 38 2B, 34 HR, 88 RBI, 32 SB

Hmmm...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because dipoto is completely full of crap and over his head. With that smug look on his face he looks like a sleasy used car salesman.

He's just a windbag like all the rest of the GM's this team hires. The team doesn't care about winning, it's about putting asses in the seats.

Yep, and because of the unusual TV situation they don't even need that many asses in the seats... Alaska, Montana, Portland, Idaho, all these people that tune in make up for the shitty product.. If the M's were on the East coast surrounded by more teams they wouldn't survive like this, they would HAVE to field a better product...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I was only about 7 or so back when that trade happened, so I don't know my thoughts at the time. But imagine if the Mariners had Jose Cruz Jr. on the 2001 team that won 116 games.

Al Martin 2001: .240/.330/.382, 15 2B, 7 HR, 42 RBI, 9 SB
Jose Cruz Jr. 2001: 274/.326/.520 38 2B, 34 HR, 88 RBI, 32 SB

Hmmm...

It was 97 I think so I was in 7th grade, but I just remember Griffey was stoked because he finally had a LF, then he got yanked out from under him primarily because they traded Nelson in 96. Had they not made the Tino trade or the Cruz trade I think they would have had 1 WS at least. The 95 team intact was every bit as good as the dynasty Yankees team.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 97 I think so I was in 7th grade, but I just remember Griffey was stoked because he finally had a LF, then he got yanked out from under him primarily because they traded Nelson in 96. Had they not made the Tino trade or the Cruz trade I think they would have had 1 WS at least. The 95 team intact was every bit as good as the dynasty Yankees team.

Ya, I was cough cough 30 cough cough when they made the trade and I was with a couple buddies who also are big M's fans and we all just about cried. We just looked at each and and were silent. Like wazzup said, LF was a revolving door forever and Griffey was finally happy to have Cruz next to him. Maybe that was the start of Griffey's exit. And to make it more puzzling, the replacements were a combo of Rich Amaral, Rob Ducey, Lee Tinsley, and Roberto Kelly. Cruz hit 13 homers in 49 games while the others mentioned combined to hit 13 homers in combined 244 games (obviously not all while playing in LF).

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Worst M's trade ever. Giving up an All-Star caliber firstbaseman and a set up man for a starting pitcher coming off a mediocre season and a 26 year old thirdbase prospect. Even if the trade had to be made for financial reasons - it's hard to think they couldn't have gotten more than that. I guess when dealing with teams you have a close relationship with helps sometimes (Buhner) and hurts sometimes (Martinez).

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in a way, the Mariners front office for the Yankees 90's run and the Red Sox first WAS. And all we got was 3 crappy releivers

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these pitchers are OK.

cal-mil-682-ice-2-liter-polycarbonate-pitcher-with-ice-chamber.jpg

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's seriously could have been a dynasty for that Mariners team in the mid 90's, the M's ownership totally did everything to @#$^ that up ..... Even in 2001 when we won those 116 games I knew they weren't going to the World Series, because the Yankees were standing there in our way, and our offense just didn't have the fire power to compete .. Lou Piniella realized this, and he lobbied like crazy to get another bat before the deadline, NOPE! They did nothing, even Sports illustrated said the M's will regret that on the front page of the #@^! magazine... EVERYTHING this upper management does keeps the M's from getting to the series... It's just one @#^ up after another ... Were the Cleveland Browns of MLB ... One head scratcher after another...