• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tired of Dipoto Shopping at Walmart for Pitchers?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, but outside Cruz, the offense and the starting staff is all back. And besides, I don't think Jerry likes one year deals, "he likes controllable deals". God forbid they block Andrew Moore from getting called up.

His deals have indicated a win-now attitude. That's why I don't get it. He could've landed Lynn on a one year deal and Lynn is off the payroll the next year.

I believe ownership has cut him off from spending more money because their greatest ambition is to continue to run a profitable team - franchise appreciation aside. This isn't a Jerry excuse, but I think he has his hands tied when it comes to giving a $10m contract. He shouldn't have placed himself in this situation, but I find it unlikely he has the funds to play around with.

The team could continue to operate at a .500 level for the next 10 years and ownership will receive a great return on investment merely from the appreciation of pro-sports franchises.

It's sad but I'm willing to bet the Mariners don't put up more than 95 wins for at least the next 4 years. I once posted a thread on CBS (might've been here) asking if the Mariners would make the playoffs in the next decade. That was around 2012 or 2013. Starting to look like I was right doubting that possibility.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His deals have indicated a win-now attitude. That's why I don't get it. He could've landed Lynn on a one year deal and Lynn is off the payroll the next year.

I believe ownership has cut him off from spending more money because their greatest ambition is to continue to run a profitable team - franchise appreciation aside. This isn't a Jerry excuse, but I think he has his hands tied when it comes to giving a $10m contract. He shouldn't have placed himself in this situation, but I find it unlikely he has the funds to play around with.

The team could continue to operate at a .500 level for the next 10 years and ownership will receive a great return on investment merely from the appreciation of pro-sports franchises.

It's sad but I'm willing to bet the Mariners don't put up more than 95 wins for at least the next 4 years. I once posted a thread on CBS (might've been here) asking if the Mariners would make the playoffs in the next decade. That was around 2012 or 2013. Starting to look like I was right doubting that possibility.

Ya, that was my main furstration with Jerry and the FO. Their offense is built for a win now, bullpen is built for win now, the staff is not and instead of raising the budget for the staff for 1 year deals they trade for Gordon. It makes no logical sense for a team who's goal is to win.

The Mariners are money set regardless because they own Root now and it made no sense why they were a lobbying group against the return of the Sonics as it would've given them content. Not sure how Roots makes so much money when the Mariners are the only legitimate product on there now that the Pac12 network took the NW football and basketball games.

95 wins would be a stretch. Since Gillick the Mariners are either an offense only, during Felix's prime pitching only, and now back to the offense only type team. I still think they have an outside shot at the WC if everything goes right on the staff such as health with Paxton and Felix, if Marco has a breakout year and if they have Miranda in as the 5 not Erasmo or Moore.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry on the Walking Dead > Jerry Dipoto