• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tired of Dipoto Shopping at Walmart for Pitchers?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right! I watched the first few innings of the game today, he pitched pretty well but its only 2 innings. The issue is when he has to go through the lineup 2-3 times, the case with several M's pitchers.
Yea I just mentioned in the other thread that it seems like he still lacks command and ability to put the hitter away.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reading about the trade of another one of our top prospects Tyler O’Neil to the Cards for a pitcher that just came of Tommy John surgery not long ago, Marco Gonzales... Why do the Mariners constantly trade top prospects instead of building a team from within ?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reading about the trade of another one of our top prospects Tyler O’Neil to the Cards for a pitcher that just came of Tommy John surgery not long ago, Marco Gonzales... Why do the Mariners constantly trade top prospects instead of building a team from within ?

Cause that's what bad FO's do. Poor drafting, bad scouting, bad signings and poor trades leads up to this your Seattle Mariners. Forgot to add, do nothing in FA to sure up the piss poor pitching rotation.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do the Mariners constantly trade top prospects instead of building a team from within ?

Its somewhat complicated in this case. I think Dippy was just finishing a two year process of purging everything Jack Z related. It's also a problem when you try and compete and don't go all in. That causes you to trade a guy like Gohara in a deal for a reliever and an ok starter.

Since this system is pitching deprived he traded guys like Drew Jackson, Chris Taylor, Alex Jackson and Tyler O'Neil for simply depth guys. I have no idea if O'Neil will be anything but looks like Chris Taylor will and I have a feeling Alex Jackson will be.

As I mentioned earlier I really don't trust this organization with anything starting pitching related at the moment.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its somewhat complicated in this case. I think Dippy was just finishing a two year process of purging everything Jack Z related. It's also a problem when you try and compete and don't go all in. That causes you to trade a guy like Gohara in a deal for a reliever and an ok starter.

Since this system is pitching deprived he traded guys like Drew Jackson, Chris Taylor, Alex Jackson and Tyler O'Neil for simply depth guys. I have no idea if O'Neil will be anything but looks like Chris Taylor will and I have a feeling Alex Jackson will be.

As I mentioned earlier I really don't trust this organization with anything starting pitching related at the moment.
Remember the good old days when all the Mariners could do was pitch?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize this but Marco has no options they said on the broadcast. I now actually despise the deal. Hopefully Marco works out but damn giving up one of your best prospects for a dude he could've signed to a minor league deal next off-season?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize this but Marco has no options they said on the broadcast. I now actually despise the deal. Hopefully Marco works out but damn giving up one of your best prospects for a dude he could've signed to a minor league deal next off-season?

Yea there's no way even pre injuries he wasn't making the 25. Im hopeful but not sure how much we learn about him in Spring since his main issue was getting thru a lineup the second time

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea there's no way even pre injuries he wasn't making the 25. Im hopeful but not sure how much we learn about him in Spring since his main issue was getting thru a lineup the second time

Ya, you won't learn anything from spring. Marco was fine through the lineup once. But with him and Erasmo out of options I kind of get why Jerry is being stubborn about signing a starter. I don't think he can actually admit he messed up big time DFAing Marco or Erasmo. IMO they need to sign Cobb/Lynn then Miranda is the number 5. Put Marco in the pen then DFA Ramirez or him have a "set back" on his injury and leave him on the DL until they need him in the rotation or pen. Ego isn't a path to the playoffs.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the good old days when all the Mariners could do was pitch?
That was when we had the rest of the league fooled into thinking Safeco was a pitcher's park. But, nobody believes that anymore. The gig is up.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Arietta to Philly for 3 years $75m.
thats a hell of a paycheck... I'll be honest, would not have paid that if I was a GM. However I stand firm Arrieta is significantly overrated. I will be surprised if he lives up to it, but I doubt it. check back in 3 years ive been wrong before (a lot) and i will be again.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats a hell of a paycheck... I'll be honest, would not have paid that if I was a GM. However I stand firm Arrieta is significantly overrated. I will be surprised if he lives up to it, but I doubt it. check back in 3 years ive been wrong before (a lot) and i will be again.

I don't think it's that bad mostly because of the duration of the contract. 3 years is not bad. If not for the weird free agent market, Arrieta I believe would've landed a 5 year deal. The AYP is high, but a 3 year contract for a pitcher who has a 2.67 ERA over the last four years isn't bad.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's that bad mostly because of the duration of the contract. 3 years is not bad. If not for the weird free agent market, Arrieta I believe would've landed a 5 year deal. The AYP is high, but a 3 year contract for a pitcher who has a 2.67 ERA over the last four years isn't bad.
yeah I agree with the shorter contract. I am a fan of shorter contracts in general anyways. Personally I wouldn't have paid it for what he is. I view him and Yu Darvish similarly, my personal opinion of both is that they are way overrated, partially due to the fact there isn't much to pick from. Then again i would take either of them on the M's cause lets be honest we have a shit show, and its not my money lol.. I guess my point is I don't view Darvish or Arrieta in the top tier of pitching but very close, I also think they are going to burn out soon, which would make Arrieta's deal better in my book. I think you can get the same or better performance from a SP for half the price. Just a funny note, I think Felix will make more this year lol good lord Mariners baseball.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have given Arrietta that paycheck either. Statistically, Arrieta peaked in 2015. He dropped off in 2016 and then dropped off some more last year while losing 3-4 mph on his fastball. He is trending in the wrong direction which, at his age, probably means the trend is not going to reverse itself.

Also, given the way free agency went this year, $25 million a year is worth a helluva lot more now than it was two years ago. Phillies are paying $45 million a year for Arrietta (14 wins, 168 IPS, 3.53 ERA) and Santana (3.4 WAR, 23 homeruns, .818 OPS). The Twins are paying $18 million for Morrison (3.6 WAR, 38 homeruns, .868 OPS) and Lynn (11 wins, 186 IPS, 3.43 ERA). Think about that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have given Arrietta that paycheck either. Statistically, Arrieta peaked in 2015. He dropped off in 2016 and then dropped off some more last year while losing 3-4 mph on his fastball. He is trending in the wrong direction which, at his age, probably means the trend is not going to reverse itself.

Also, given the way free agency went this year, $25 million a year is worth a helluva lot more now than it was two years ago. Phillies are paying $45 million a year for Arrietta (14 wins, 168 IPS, 3.53 ERA) and Santana (3.4 WAR, 23 homeruns, .818 OPS). The Twins are paying $18 million for Morrison (3.6 WAR, 38 homeruns, .868 OPS) and Lynn (11 wins, 186 IPS, 3.43 ERA). Think about that.

Not sure how I feel about Morrison, but Lance Lynn was an excellent signing for the Twins. Considering Morrison was cheap and a mere 1 year contract, it could be an absolute steal for them. I would've killed for the Mariners to have landed Lynn on that contract.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about Morrison, but Lance Lynn was an excellent signing for the Twins. Considering Morrison was cheap and a mere 1 year contract, it could be an absolute steal for them. I would've killed for the Mariners to have landed Lynn on that contract.
I would have loved to have Lynn. He was on my wish list, which I have now burned. I guess a guy like Lynn makes too much sense.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is a bad contract but in a crazy way it is very team friendly as most have been. Every big money deal signed so far is essentially a 2 year deal as the teams can opt out. Even with his numbers dropping he would've been the number 2 on the staff and they need arms so they don't burn up the bullpen by August.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always next offseason...

Literally. He's on a one year contract.

Ya, but outside Cruz, the offense and the starting staff is all back. And besides, I don't think Jerry likes one year deals, "he likes controllable deals". God forbid they block Andrew Moore from getting called up.