• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tired of Dipoto Shopping at Walmart for Pitchers?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox get Chris Sale.
Yankees get Sonny Gray and now they are on the verge of getting Gerrit Cole.
Astros get Justin Verlander.
Red Sox get Drew Polmeranz.

The last time the Mariners got one of the hottest pitchers on the trade market was probably Jeff Fassero. And we all know that turned into a disaster, but at least they were shopping Macys instead of Walmart.

Why can't Dipoto ever be in on any of these guys?

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because dipoto is completely full of crap and over his head. With that smug look on his face he looks like a sleasy used car salesman.

He's just a windbag like all the rest of the GM's this team hires. The team doesn't care about winning, it's about putting asses in the seats.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams trade their top prospects for Sale, Verlander or Cole. Others trade them Marco Gonzales.
But it’s ok. He will get a pass because he will make a myriad of lateral moves and get worshiped for it.
Even the aging Giants with all their bad contracts made a move this week for Longoria. Sure they will probably be in brutal shape in a few years but at least it’s a direction. We refuse to do anything but sit on the fence

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time the Mariners got one of the hottest pitchers on the trade market was probably Jeff Fassero. ?
Technically I'd say Cliff Lee but I guess that barely counts. He was hurt for a month and really only pitched with Mariners for 6 weeks.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically I'd say Cliff Lee but I guess that barely counts. He was hurt for a month and really only pitched with Mariners for 6 weeks.
Was Bedard before or after Lee?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox get Chris Sale.
Yankees get Sonny Gray and now they are on the verge of getting Gerrit Cole.
Astros get Justin Verlander.
Red Sox get Drew Polmeranz.

The last time the Mariners got one of the hottest pitchers on the trade market was probably Jeff Fassero. And we all know that turned into a disaster, but at least they were shopping Macys instead of Walmart.

Why can't Dipoto ever be in on any of these guys?
I call it the curse of Robinson Canu. Worst signing ever for the Mariners

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call it the curse of Robinson Canu. Worst signing ever for the Mariners
Its what happens when you hang onto a GM a year or two too long. Sometimes they sign Cano to an outrageous contract and other times they trade Adam Jones for Bedard. Cant wait to see what happens when Jerry is around two years too long.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its what happens when you hang onto a GM a year or two too long. Sometimes they sign Cano to an outrageous contract and other times they trade Adam Jones for Bedard. Cant wait to see what happens when Jerry is around two years too long.

2016-2017.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really not sure I'd even really consider Cliff Lee as a "big get" there was zero market for him because everyone knew he was going back to Philly. It was a solid move because it created a bidding war at the deadline though. I don't think the Mariners really make big splashes with pitchers, the organization is kind of like the Seahawks with their offensive line.

The only time they went all in on a pitcher it blew up in their face and the first time since the early 90's everyone in the sport pointed and laughed them when they gave 2 studs for a 5 inning ace.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time they went all in on a pitcher it blew up in their face and the first time since the early 90's everyone in the sport pointed and laughed them when they gave 2 studs for a 5 inning ace.

Agreed, but it was the right move but for the wrong pitcher. They can't scout unproven guys nor can they scout guys who proved who they really are. Every Orioles fan knew what Bedard was, but M's paid brass didn't or refused to see.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really not sure I'd even really consider Cliff Lee as a "big get" there was zero market for him because everyone knew he was going back to Philly. It was a solid move because it created a bidding war at the deadline though. I don't think the Mariners really make big splashes with pitchers, the organization is kind of like the Seahawks with their offensive line. .

Yea I was definitely hesitant to bring it up. I was talking with a buddy the other day and we were wondering when the last time this team actually spent money to sign a starter. The name we came up with was Carlos Silva. I really don't think they have spent any kind of money on a FA starter since. I mean its been 10 fucking years since that, good grief.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I was definitely hesitant to bring it up. I was talking with a buddy the other day and we were wondering when the last time this team actually spent money to sign a starter. The name we came up with was Carlos Silva. I really don't think they have spent any kind of money on a FA starter since. I mean its been 10 fucking years since that, good grief.

And like the Bedard deal, right idea but wrong player. Even the couple times in their history that they tried to do the right thing they screwed it up with the wrong guy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I completely forgot about that disaster of Silva. Silva and Figgins got paid and became assholes who didn't care about baseball or their team anymore. Those two are reasons I'm not against non guaranteed baseball contracts.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I completely forgot about that disaster of Silva. Silva and Figgins got paid and became assholes who didn't care about baseball or their team anymore. Those two are reasons I'm not against non guaranteed baseball contracts.

But you pay scouts and GM's to know the product they are buying. Just like Bedard. All 3 were known to have issues, but M's didn't care and obtained them anyways. Just like Carl Everette and others with red flags of some kind.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you pay scouts and GM's to know the product they are buying. Just like Bedard. All 3 were known to have issues, but M's didn't care and obtained them anyways. Just like Carl Everette and others with red flags of some kind.

They pay lousy scouts as their history has proven though. I don't think Bedard nor Silva was scouts fault, more of ownership demanding they keep the bottom line up. They signed Beltre and Sexson around that same time as Silva. Then they needed a pitcher desperately and Adam Jones in his limited time as a Mariner was a worse defensive player than Raul Ibanez. Still don't make the Jones deal, the organization as a whole was a horrible fit with the Silva. Can't have a guy come in lazy as hell with a team who has no leader and wants to beat their best player up. Freddy and Guillen were good in Seattle because they had leaders like Edgar, Wilson, Buhner and Lou.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Bedard nor Silva was scouts fault, more of ownership demanding they keep the bottom line up.

Every team scouts trade prospects even veteran ones. So either the scouts didn't do their jobs and called it in or M's were too cheap to investigate. Could have went either way in M's case.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team scouts trade prospects even veteran ones. So either the scouts didn't do their jobs and called it in or M's were too cheap to investigate. Could have went either way in M's case.

Maybe I am bias towards the scouts. I just can't put the Bedard trade on him. Since the Gillick era scouts voices were overruled. I can't truly fathom scouts saying yeah, let's in the off-season deal the top rated prospect in baseball and our number 1 pitching prospect for Bedard. Think it was all management forcing a deal because attendance was dwindling. Much like the Cano signing, the system was stocked full of 2B, yet they sign the best one in the game essentially making every top fielding prospect useless and untradable.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am bias towards the scouts. I just can't put the Bedard trade on him. Since the Gillick era scouts voices were overruled. I can't truly fathom scouts saying yeah, let's in the off-season deal the top rated prospect in baseball and our number 1 pitching prospect for Bedard. Think it was all management forcing a deal because attendance was dwindling. Much like the Cano signing, the system was stocked full of 2B, yet they sign the best one in the game essentially making every top fielding prospect useless and untradable.

Scouts would not suggest that, but any good GM would have their scouts check out everything about a potential trade target from injury concerns to chemistry issues if any (both personality and team chemistry issues). That is just standard practice, but we are talking M's so who knows in that case.