• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tired of Dipoto Shopping at Walmart for Pitchers?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but it was the right move but for the wrong pitcher. They can't scout unproven guys nor can they scout guys who proved who they really are. Every Orioles fan knew what Bedard was, but M's paid brass didn't or refused to see.

I remember reading a report a while back that Bavasi wanted Bedard and everyone knew it and he never tried to get anyone else. That gave Baltimore all the power in the negotiations because they knew Bavasi wanted him and would give up whatever it took to get him. And they knew that Bedard was not the ace that Bavasi should have gotten for that package.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading a report a while back that Bavasi wanted Bedard and everyone knew it and he never tried to get anyone else. That gave Baltimore all the power in the negotiations because they knew Bavasi wanted him and would give up whatever it took to get him. And they knew that Bedard was not the ace that Bavasi should have gotten for that package.

100% true from everything I read at the time as well. He wanted an 'ACE' and he felt Bedard was one and the only one available. Problem was that Bedard was much like Paxton and that he couldn't make it through a season nor go long in a game so not sure how he figured he was an ace. Hard to figure much of what Bavasi thought...or Jack...or DIP.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouts would not suggest that, but any good GM would have their scouts check out everything about a potential trade target from injury concerns to chemistry issues if any (both personality and team chemistry issues). That is just standard practice, but we are talking M's so who knows in that case.

I'd generally agree with you, but guarantee every scout, personnel person agreed Cruz should've been signed 2014 but management nixed it because he had a PED issue. Or the Cliff Lee deal where personnel threw Jack and management under the bus getting the rapist in the deal whole Jack and management threw them under the bus.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is what bugged me about the deal most, giving up Jones for Bedard, ok, not exactly a bad deal because Jones had no future on the roster but tossing in Tillman too made that trade horrible from the get go. At a minimum Tillman could've been used in another deal, at max he would be a great pitching coming up and pitching in Safeco for years instead of the bandbox in Baltimore.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd generally agree with you, but guarantee every scout, personnel person agreed Cruz should've been signed 2014 but management nixed it because he had a PED issue. Or the Cliff Lee deal where personnel threw Jack and management under the bus getting the rapist in the deal whole Jack and management threw them under the bus.

Wasn't it Lincoln who nixed the Cruz deal? Either way, it is the scouts job to bring all info to the table and then upper management to decide what to do with it.

I don't think for one minute Jack didn't know about the 'rapist' in the deal. It was he who kept it from upper management. Jack was a con man.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't it Lincoln who nixed the Cruz deal? Either way, it is the scouts job to bring all info to the table and then upper management to decide what to do with it.

I don't think for one minute Jack didn't know about the 'rapist' in the deal. It was he who kept it from upper management. Jack was a con man.

Totally agree, but I'm just saying, I don't ever put all the blame on scouts in the organization because time after time we've seen management overrule personnel.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners are basically unwatchable. And the two guys I absolutely wanted to keep around were Chris Taylor (looking to be an All Star at the moment) and Tyler O'Neill who looks very solid. I couldn't even give you a name of what we got for him... probably equivalent of frozen taquitos.

Ben Gamel will be the next to go and head to some team and hit .350 with .450 OBP or some shit.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't it Lincoln who nixed the Cruz deal?
That was always my understanding. Too bad given how 2014 played out although they probably would have Mariner'd it in a different way.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we appear content on having Erasamo and Marco in our rotation. Lets look at some fun numbers.

Erasmo 2nd time through in order.
6.37 ERA, .871 OPS, .285 BA, 5.31 FIP, 1.53 WHIP, 2.04 HR/9

Marco 2nd time through in order
9.95 ERA, 1.248 OPS, .438 AVG, ok stopping here BARF.

I mean there is GM speak and there is talking to your fans like they are idiots.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we appear content on having Erasamo and Marco in our rotation. Lets look at some fun numbers.

I mean there is GM speak and there is talking to your fans like they are idiots.

That's ok, the answer is more middle of the road relievers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't even know what to rate this post but damn that is sad. One of those two is going to be the number 2 starter by May too.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not even sure this qualifies as Walmart.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still giving Dipoto a chance I mean lets face it he was given a bad hand it is hard to turn around a franchise that literally has no prospects. Some of you guys ask why didnt we acquire big time starting pitching? Well because our farm system is equivalent to a little league team who will want to give up their quality pitcher for our prospects? This year will be a big evaluation to players like Marco Gonzalez and I will be watching all the players drafted 2016 and 2017 sucks that Kyle Lewis blew out his knee I hope this wont effect him.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldnt be smart to fire GMs because they cant turn around a franchise in 2 years looking at the Astros team it took them damn near 10 years and a league change to get things right and watch their top prospects make it to the league

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you guys ask why didnt we acquire big time starting pitching?

We had the players at one point to obtain one, but he gave them away trade by trade. Now we can obtain one merely by paying for one and he comes up with the lamest excuse that they don't want to block our worthless young arms. Good news is that he will be gone shortly after this new plan blows up.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldnt be smart to fire GMs because they cant turn around a franchise in 2 years looking at the Astros team it took them damn near 10 years and a league change to get things right and watch their top prospects make it to the league

I can somewhat agree with this, except the farm system is last because of Jerry. Yet, they are two starting pitchers away from being playoff caliber, which I think is one of the reasons why Jerry should not be back. Don't give us Erasmo, Marco and Moore are the best options. Jerry has a playoff caliber offense but 4 MLB caliber pitchers, two of which are hurt all the time now, Leake is a solid three but the other guy is Miranda who seems to be an after thought guy. He talks as though Miranda is the backup plan instead of the other three.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still giving Dipoto a chance I mean lets face it he was given a bad hand it is hard to turn around a franchise that literally has no prospects. Some of you guys ask why didnt we acquire big time starting pitching? Well because our farm system is equivalent to a little league team who will want to give up their quality pitcher for our prospects? This year will be a big evaluation to players like Marco Gonzalez and I will be watching all the players drafted 2016 and 2017 sucks that Kyle Lewis blew out his knee I hope this wont effect him.

To counter that I'd say then Jerry should have dealt Segura, Cruz and Seager then at the deadline last year. If the 2018 season is a prove it year for guys who haven't shown the ability to stay in the rotation then 2018 should be the first year of a rebuild. I don't think anyone would begrudge Jerry for tearing it down, but he is pulling a Jack Z with pulling moves that goes against everything he said he stood for when he was first hired.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't worry about that as this Front office has shown it fires GMs a year too late rather then a year to early so I'm not banking on him being fired for at least a few years.
So far he hasn't added anything to the rotation other then depth guys. And to get those guys he's traded guys like Alex Jackson, Drew Jackson, Chris Taylor, etc.