• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts On QB Zach Mettenberger In Buffalo

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Georgia and LSU were so high up on Mettenberger?

Mettenberger been breaking fan bases hearts since his freshman year in college.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals would trade Drew Stanton & parts for Met. He fits Arians' system perfectly.

On second thought, the Cardinals can just wait till Palmer retires & sign Met as a FA if he shows anything in the next couple of seasons.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mariota turns out to be good Tennessee will have an incredible situation on their hands. I think if Mariota proves to be good it won't be long until you see Tennessee at the very top or close when publications show rankings of teams who have the best situation at QB overall. Which is actually crazy considering that just a year and a half ago we were the worst team by far with Jake Locker/Charlie Whitehurst as our QB depth. In fact i think it was in ESPN where they were had us at 32nd and said we were miles from being 31st,lol. in March of 2014 a month or so before the draft. I've already said it and i firmly believe Tennessee drafted the best QB in 2014 and i think the team drafted the best QB available in 2015. Mariota/Mettenberger is light years better than Locker/Whitehurst.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals would trade Drew Stanton & parts for Met. He fits Arians' system perfectly.

On second thought, the Cardinals can just wait till Palmer retires & sign Met as a FA if he shows anything in the next couple of seasons.

Wow i just had this same thought yesterday not sure if i printed it here or somewhere else thar Arians and Keim should've drafted Mettenberger instead of Logan Thomas in 2014. I've heard reports Arizona is pretty much done with Thomas not sure why. Yeah Mettenberger reminds me of Carson Palmer in some ways and they are similar in size too. I think if they would drafted Mettenberger they could've gone much farther in the postseason last year than they did with Lindley not sure why they still have him he isn't that good. Actually the more i think about it to me Mettenberger fits Arizona perfectly and honestly i don't understand quite why they drafted Thomas to me he doesn't fit their offense at all. Even before the draft there were plenty of mocks that had Arizona picking Mettenberger saying how much he fit and the thing was Keim is very smart and drafts well. I think the new RB they drafted along with Ellington is gonna be a great RB tandem.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mettenberger's mom has found the Hoop.

The one stat Mettenberger looks good in is his Yards Per Attempt which is generally the most important behind TD/INT ratio. The rest, especially the Ws and Ls make it pretty hard to decipher much upside. He'll get his chance on the Titans but no team in their right mind would trade for him.

Footballoutsiders has Mettenberger as their 40th rated QB last year with more than 100 attempts. Manuel was 35th. Thats certainly only one way to judge a QB but people thought Manuel had talent after his first year, too, and it wouldn't make sense for Buffalo to give up on him for anything but a legit franchise draw. There is a reason why they say drafting the wrong QB takes a team back 5 years. Its because you have to figure out if its the wrong QB first.

There is a reason why they say drafting the wrong QB takes a team back 5 years. Its because you have to figure out if its the wrong QB first. SO TRUE and what sucks is this what happen to us with Jake Locker the guy wasted a half decade of our time sucking barely completing 50% of his passes in many games and missing like 22 out of 44 games because of injury and what did he do when his contract expired? the sonofabitch RETIRED. I didn't like the selection from the start because coming out of college Locker had a LOSING RECORD how the hell do you become a first round top ten projected QB with an 11-25 record and 53TD/35INT with no major awards,no bowls or nothing how the living hell did it happen for him to be slotted where he was he was terrible. Locker should've been a 5th round project easily. I couldn't wait for the bastard to be gone he wasted many of my Sundays with his awful play and i would be in an especially foul mood when i had to drive home hundreds of miles after watching him in person barely complete half his passes or get injured.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Mariota turns out to be good Tennessee will have an incredible situation on their hands. I think if Mariota proves to be good it won't be long until you see Tennessee at the very top or close when publications show rankings of teams who have the best situation at QB overall. Which is actually crazy considering that just a year and a half ago we were the worst team by far with Jake Locker/Charlie Whitehurst as our QB depth. In fact i think it was in ESPN where they were had us at 32nd and said we were miles from being 31st,lol. in March of 2014 a month or so before the draft. I've already said it and i firmly believe Tennessee drafted the best QB in 2014 and i think the team drafted the best QB available in 2015. Mariota/Mettenberger is light years better than Locker/Whitehurst.
fify

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow i just had this same thought yesterday not sure if i printed it here or somewhere else thar Arians and Keim should've drafted Mettenberger instead of Logan Thomas in 2014. I've heard reports Arizona is pretty much done with Thomas not sure why. Yeah Mettenberger reminds me of Carson Palmer in some ways and they are similar in size too. I think if they would drafted Mettenberger they could've gone much farther in the postseason last year than they did with Lindley not sure why they still have him he isn't that good. Actually the more i think about it to me Mettenberger fits Arizona perfectly and honestly i don't understand quite why they drafted Thomas to me he doesn't fit their offense at all. Even before the draft there were plenty of mocks that had Arizona picking Mettenberger saying how much he fit and the thing was Keim is very smart and drafts well. I think the new RB they drafted along with Ellington is gonna be a great RB tandem.

There were too many issues surrounding Mettenberger at the time he was drafted. That is why Arians & a lot of teams passed on him.

Logan Thomas is big strong armed QB with wheels. He is raw & has poor accuracy. In OTAs & mini camp, he hasn't shown the progress the team was hoping for. But I don't know how much of the criticism from Arians is just coach speak to motivate him. He could be on the bubble.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mariota i have faith he will be good. I think Mettenberger is good too and will be a great backup in case we need him.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans are going to LOVE Mariota. Once the Titans management gets their head out of their asses and sign Mariota to his terms Tennessee fans will forget about Mettenberger after the first snap of week 1.
Mariota hasn't thrown a pass for the Titans and you are already anointing him their savior.

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mettenberger, I've never been high on (even when he was in college). I thought he was always overrated. With that being said, the Titans problems weren't at quarterback.. It was the weapons on offense, it was the offensive line, it was the running game, and it was most of all, the defense.

If I was in the Tennessee Titans draft room that Thursday night, I take Leonard Williams, hands down. Mariota (I loved him more than Jameis Winston) would've been like my 4th or 5th option. Dante Fowler, Amari Cooper, and a simple trade would've done. But for them to take Mariota at #2 was head-scratching, not because of Mariota, but because of the team drafting him, already having that young QB to develop. Mariota, also, is a guy who won't be able to truly shine until his 3rd season in the league, and that is if he had a good defense to bail him out.

As for Mettenberger, I can't see a team trading for him to come in as the starter. I also don't believe he's worth anything more than a 5th-round draft choice if you're trading for him to come in and compete for the starting job during training camp and preseason. Especially with a guy with injury history, you don't need to take a risk on him.

So for Buffalo, I'd stick it out with EJ Manuel for another year. Guy's got a team stacked around him, with a running game, receiving threats, a stellar defense which should only improve, and a better head coach. If Manuel can't make it count this year, then I'd seriously consider (if I'm the Bills) drafting a quarterback come this April/May.

PS: If I typed 'Bulls' instead of 'Bills' anywhere, please forgive me. I just came back from playing NBA 2k15.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota hasn't thrown a pass for the Titans and you are already anointing him their savior.
Come on, this is OD we're talking about, he would have Mariota's baby at the drop of a hat. While I think the kid has a good chance of being a very good NFL QB I also know anyone is one snap away from retirement. IF the Titans can keep Marcus protected long enough for him to get comfortable in the system I think he'll make the doubters eat their words.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mettenberger, I've never been high on (even when he was in college). I thought he was always overrated. With that being said, the Titans problems weren't at quarterback.. It was the weapons on offense, it was the offensive line, it was the running game, and it was most of all, the defense.

If I was in the Tennessee Titans draft room that Thursday night, I take Leonard Williams, hands down. Mariota (I loved him more than Jameis Winston) would've been like my 4th or 5th option. Dante Fowler, Amari Cooper, and a simple trade would've done. But for them to take Mariota at #2 was head-scratching, not because of Mariota, but because of the team drafting him, already having that young QB to develop. Mariota, also, is a guy who won't be able to truly shine until his 3rd season in the league, and that is if he had a good defense to bail him out.

As for Mettenberger, I can't see a team trading for him to come in as the starter. I also don't believe he's worth anything more than a 5th-round draft choice if you're trading for him to come in and compete for the starting job during training camp and preseason. Especially with a guy with injury history, you don't need to take a risk on him.

So for Buffalo, I'd stick it out with EJ Manuel for another year. Guy's got a team stacked around him, with a running game, receiving threats, a stellar defense which should only improve, and a better head coach. If Manuel can't make it count this year, then I'd seriously consider (if I'm the Bills) drafting a quarterback come this April/May.

PS: If I typed 'Bulls' instead of 'Bills' anywhere, please forgive me. I just came back from playing NBA 2k15.

You do know that right now Mettenberger is on at least two are three lists as one of the top backups in the league and he did this as a rookie on a team with no defense,no offensive line or running game. I think thats pretty impressive for a rookie with nothing to work with,No? Thats your opinion and thats cool but i've seen at least five or six posters lately comment on how Mettenberger wasn't that good and i got half to admit they haven't even see the guy play. Mettenberger will fetch way more than a fifth round pick if he plays good again this year thats not even a debate there will be a market for him. Looking at the stats and watching him play he did pretty well. The man set records in two of the first three games he played in. Not bad.

Mettenberger going into his last game had the highest passer rating of all rookies a 95 pass rating. In Mettenberger first two out of three games he played he set records. He set a rookie franchise passing yards record in his very first game throwing for 300 yards,2TD 1INT. In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a MNF record for a rookie throwing for 260 yards,2TD 1INT including an 80 yard bomb with a defender in his face blocking his view. Against Philly he threw for 350 yards imcluding 8 passes over 20 yards. Against Houston completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for one touchdown and one interception and a 95 QB rating.

I wanted Tennessee to roll with Mettenberger and make him starter but i have to support Mariota now because thats who the GM picked. However i will always be a fan of Mettenberger's the guy has heart and has loads of confidence. Mettenberger said in one of his interviews bring on Winston,bring on Mariota,bring on whoever the guy has confidence and he can play.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to troll, but what's the real difference between Carr and Mettenberger right now? Both have huge flaws as of right now and don't rate very well, but each showed flashes of potential. I still believe Carr will be the best in the end from that draft, but....

The Iron Jaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that right now Mettenberger is on at least two are three lists as one of the top backups in the league and he did this as a rookie on a team with no defense,no offensive line or running game. I think thats pretty impressive for a rookie with nothing to work with,No? Thats your opinion and thats cool but i've seen at least five or six posters lately comment on how Mettenberger wasn't that good and i got half to admit they haven't even see the guy play. Mettenberger will fetch way more than a fifth round pick if he plays good again this year thats not even a debate there will be a market for him. Looking at the stats and watching him play he did pretty well. The man set records in two of the first three games he played in. Not bad.

Mettenberger going into his last game had the highest passer rating of all rookies a 95 pass rating. In Mettenberger first two out of three games he played he set records. He set a rookie franchise passing yards record in his very first game throwing for 300 yards,2TD 1INT. In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a MNF record for a rookie throwing for 260 yards,2TD 1INT including an 80 yard bomb with a defender in his face blocking his view. Against Philly he threw for 350 yards imcluding 8 passes over 20 yards. Against Houston completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for one touchdown and one interception and a 95 QB rating.

I wanted Tennessee to roll with Mettenberger and make him starter but i have to support Mariota now because thats who the GM picked. However i will always be a fan of Mettenberger's the guy has heart and has loads of confidence. Mettenberger said in one of his interviews bring on Winston,bring on Mariota,bring on whoever the guy has confidence and he can play.
I did credit Mettenberger and note the lack of a team around him. However, I am pretty firm on the 5th-round draft pick in exchange for Mettenberger.

I could say 2 reasons, but I can ravel it into four words... 'Robert Griffin the Third'... Between the sensational rookie year he had, along with his injuries, he's fallen so far off from where he was after his rookie year. This is the reason why I wait to judge quarterbacks until 3 years in the league whether they are booms or busts (though I'll predict after they come out of college, obviously).

RGIII is the reason why teams can't go giving up a 1st or a 2nd for this man. Because if he was THAT good, then why the Titans wouldn't draft elsewhere than quarterback is beyond me.

Best of luck to Mettenberger, and I hope he remains healthy to see if he really could be one of the top tier quarterbacks in the league... But it's an incredibly risky roll of the dice to gamble a 1st for a QB who is beginning to prove to be injury prone.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a new NFL rookie record on MNF completing 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards including an 80 yard bomb for a TD ending the game with two touchdowns and one interception and a 110 QB rating."

to be fair steeelrs d stunk

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills have Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel. Why add Mettenberger to fight for the 3rd string position with Matt Simms and Tyrod Taylor?

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills have Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel. Why add Mettenberger to fight for the 3rd string position with Matt Simms and Tyrod Taylor?

lol,i can tell you are either joking or haven't really seen Mettenberger play much. Mettenberger would be joining to take the starting job at QB. Mettenberger is better at this point than Manuel and Cassel. Mettenberger was the top rookie QB with the highest passer rating going into his sixth and last game before he got hurt. Mettenberger set franchise and NFL records in two of the six games he played in. Mettenberger was voted one of the top backup QB in two different publications including NFL.com in the last week.