• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts On QB Zach Mettenberger In Buffalo

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Titans fan here and i loved Mettenberger from the first game i watched him play. Mettenberger to me reminds me of a young Jim Kelly in that he is a gunslinger he can throw accurate passes all over the field he has a rocket for an arm.

I saw this guy play and trust me he is gonna be good when he gets his shot. He couldn't win his first few games with TN because of how terrible the defense was and how bad his offensive line and run game were.

I was thinking with how stacked the Bills roster was and how all they needed was a QB. I left a link for highlights watch him closely he looks really good for a rookie. Remember he couldn't win a game because the defense ranked last in the league giving up nearly thirty points a game and he also had a crappy offensive line and no run game. He did however have some receiving talent. Watch the highlights click link.

During the 2014 NFL preseason Mett was the leading passer of all NFL QB's completing 47 of 68 passes good for 69 percent of passes completed for 659 yards.

In his first preseason game lead a last minute comeback against Green Bay directing a five-play, 80-yard drive to win the game 20-16. He connected with wide receiver Brian Robiskie for a 38-yard completion across the middle to set up Battle's seven-yard touchdown run.

Second preseason game against New Orleans he completed 20 out of 25 passes,80 percent of his passes were completed including a 64 yard pass to Hunter.

In his last preseason game he completed 12 of 17 passes.70 percent of passes were completed. Not bad for a rookie drafted in the sixth round.

In Mett's first full game of action against Houston he went 27 of 41 completing 66 percent of his passes for 300 yards with two touchdowns,one interception and a 93.4 QB rating. In his very first game he set a new franchise passing record with 300 yards.

On the road against Baltimore in his second game he looked sharp in the first half leading the first few drives down the field he completed 16 of 27 passes with one touchdown and one interception.

In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a new NFL rookie record on MNF completing 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards including an 80 yard bomb for a TD ending the game with two touchdowns and one interception and a 110 QB rating.

Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with two touchdowns and one interception and an 88 QB rating.

In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for one touchdown and one interception and a 95 QB rating.

Going into his sixth game he lead all rookies in QB rating and got hurt due to most of the offensive line being third tier players,backups,etc. he completed 14 out of 24 passes for 125 yards and an interception before being hurt and out for the season.

To be honest he only got six games to show what he could do but i think he did a mighty fine job considering he had a shoestring offensive line,a non existent running game and a defense that was the worst in the league.

The only reason Mettenberger is not the starter is the GM thought Marcus Mariota was too good to pass up so they drafted him. I wish the team would've trade Philly the second pick and took all the players and draft picks offered and rolled with Mettenberger.

After all mark my words he will make some team really happy. He does have talent

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still for the life of me can't understand why they didn't give Mettenberger another year. Even more bizarre is the situation with Mariota.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still for the life of me can't understand why they didn't give Mettenberger another year. Even more bizarre is the situation with Mariota.

I'm not even going to keep going on that...

Mettenberger would SHINE for Buffalo or most other NFL teams not named the Titans or Jaguars.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be very welcome in Buffalo.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could tell from the start the guy could play. Then when i saw how dedicated he was he won me over. He literally told Titans ownership,media and fans that he would take on any newcomers and beat them in a competition. The guy has heart,fire and blazing with confidence. I don't understand why they don't let Mariota sit a year and learn and watch Zach play.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why they don't let Mariota sit a year and learn and watch Zach play.

Because it makes perfect sense? :noidea:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only complaint about your thoughts on him is more your thoughts about the Titans OL. They graded out in the top half of the league for OL play this past year. Mettenberger was being pressured mostly because teams sent more blitzes his way as they do every rookie hoping to speed them up causing them to make a mistake. It also though opened up a lot of 1-on-1 passing opportunities for him.

As for him going to Buffalo I am a little surprised they didn't try to get a guy like him. Buffalo is a QB away from being one of the tougher teams in the league in my opinion. They have a top-5 defense, a decent OL, a top-5 RB, some decent WR/TE targets. So yes the QB is the only missing piece.

tnzazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mett is the man. He's also hilarious.

Personally, I believe Mariota is going to be a superstar and will be better then Mett. I didn't want Mariota but he has changed my perception. With that said, still love Mett and he can play. Any team would be lucky to have him.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mett is the man. He's also hilarious.

Personally, I believe Mariota is going to be a superstar and will be better then Mett. I didn't want Mariota but he has changed my perception. With that said, still love Mett and he can play. Any team would be lucky to have him.

Based on what??? Help me understand this euphoria surrounding Mariota? I think you guys are smoking some Maui Wowee or something.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only complaint about your thoughts on him is more your thoughts about the Titans OL. They graded out in the top half of the league for OL play this past year.

Man, did you see how porous that line was at the end? We had a dude off the Falcons practice squad playing damn RT!!!

Yes, the OL looked like best-in-league coming in to training camp. Hell, we had freakin Lewan and Michael Roos at LT alone.

Then the shit hit the fan. I don't know where you got that info but by the bye week, the OL was already decimated. And Oher is atrocious at RT.

Now, the problem is that AND I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT the OL is really pissed off about Mettenberger's mis-treatment. And make no mistake, he was lied to to his face.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude looks like he deserves a real shot. Can't really believe that they fell for the Mariota hype. But I'm glad they did.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would it take for the Titans to trade him away though? They wanted quite a bit for Mariota, or at least that draft pick, if I recall correctly. And if Mettenberger leaves they're stuck with a guy who will in all likelihood be a bust ( or at the very least take awhile to adjust to an NFL offense) and clipboard Jesus. Not a great position to be in.

tnzazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what??? Help me understand this euphoria surrounding Mariota? I think you guys are smoking some Maui Wowee or something.
Every single person including coaches, players, and media have said he was beyond impressive. I have never heard these type of comments in regards to a Titans QB that is a rookie....never.

Does he have a long way to go? Absolutely, but he is apparently WAY ahead of the curve.

tnzazz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is trading Mettenburger. The Titans like him and expect him to play some. Not too mention, he's under contract.

I can't wait when Mariota opens everyone's eyes and all the bust talk goes away. Dude is for real. This is coming from a guy who was pissed that we drafted him because I wanted Mett. He has totally changed my mind.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mettenberger's mom has found the Hoop.

The one stat Mettenberger looks good in is his Yards Per Attempt which is generally the most important behind TD/INT ratio. The rest, especially the Ws and Ls make it pretty hard to decipher much upside. He'll get his chance on the Titans but no team in their right mind would trade for him.

Footballoutsiders has Mettenberger as their 40th rated QB last year with more than 100 attempts. Manuel was 35th. Thats certainly only one way to judge a QB but people thought Manuel had talent after his first year, too, and it wouldn't make sense for Buffalo to give up on him for anything but a legit franchise draw. There is a reason why they say drafting the wrong QB takes a team back 5 years. Its because you have to figure out if its the wrong QB first.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going to keep going on that...

Mettenberger would SHINE for Buffalo or most other NFL teams not named the Titans or Jaguars.
Hammer, Imagine what he could do on the Pats?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans are going to LOVE Mariota. Once the Titans management gets their head out of their asses and sign Mariota to his terms Tennessee fans will forget about Mettenberger after the first snap of week 1.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is trading Mettenburger. The Titans like him and expect him to play some. Not too mention, he's under contract.

I can't wait when Mariota opens everyone's eyes and all the bust talk goes away. Dude is for real. This is coming from a guy who was pissed that we drafted him because I wanted Mett. He has totally changed my mind.

I am a huge Mett supporter but even though i didn't like it at first i've really came around on Mariota as well. He totally changed my mind too. They say its rare to see a QB dominate physically and mentally like he has. He was first in a lot of combine categories he was in and also he is supposedly gifted with an incredible memory as well and is supposed to have lightning fast recall.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single person including coaches, players, and media have said he was beyond impressive. I have never heard these type of comments in regards to a Titans QB that is a rookie....never.

Does he have a long way to go? Absolutely, but he is apparently WAY ahead of the curve.

I noticed this as well. First time in the nearly two decades i've been following this team that i've ever seen coaches,media and players rave about a QB. Even Kuharsky raved and that is something he never does so i definitely think there is something special with Mariota. Only thing thats so hard is after waiting so long for a good QB we had two good ones fall to us but only one can be the starter.