• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your thoughts on Drake Maye?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie QB gives you financial control for 5 years. Average GM and coach tenure is about 3 years IIRC. I think generally all three people have their fates intertwined. The rookie QB contract gives you money to support the development of the QB.

The Bears, on the other hand. They might break a record for coaches they run through with Fields if he sticks around.

The Falcons clearly need to make a move at QB, but currently being at the #10 slot would make it tough to move up for one of the top 2. Non-QB teams aren't going to trade down away from Harrison without a strong offer (although I do think Nabers is a very solid prospect in his own right). A Fields to the Falcons trade seems the more affordable route. I suppose Kyler could also be potentially available, but much more expensive and not a very robust option for a Falcons team that loves to run.

Fields to the Falcons, Bears take Caleb (and Nabers?)...could be interesting. Of course, Bears could also trade out of #1 for a haul of picks and continue to build early in the draft this year and next, like they did in the last draft.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and working for the Patriots?

I am thinking so yes. I think he will probably have his "gm" power reduced but will still remain

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking so yes. I think he will probably have his "gm" power reduced but will still remain
Yeah, I think Kraft has to sit down with Bill and get him to give up the GM duties for things to work. That roster, especially on offense is not good.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For thhe Bears Fields is not the answer.....
A freeagent qb is not the answer.....

Only answer for them is to draft one........

Its either C-Will or D-Maye.......

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A perfectly fine prospect that is probably overvalued by being the 2nd best prospect behind Williams. I doubt he's a top end QB. Might be mid, however.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Kraft has to sit down with Bill and get him to give up the GM duties for things to work. That roster, especially on offense is not good.

Yeah or IF he doesn't do that at least put his foot down and say, "Listen you are a shit drafter lately... I am making the calls here!"

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington benching Howell yesterday was an odd choice. Team is going nowhere and one of the remaining tasks was to continue to evaluate Howell moving forward. Did they just end that evaluation? Are they now in the QB mix in the draft?
That talk has certainly ramped up with the fans, who know who the people who make the decision even are and what they think of Sam Howell? The general feeling is Howell has an obvious ceiling and the way to win in the NFL is to have a top guy.

I actually like Drake more than Williams whose attitude scares me. The wild card is Daniels.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A perfectly fine prospect that is probably overvalued by being the 2nd best prospect behind Williams. I doubt he's a top end QB. Might be mid, however.
I think the odds are only two of the top six QBs will be worth anything more than mid so you're probably right. I just think that if you see a prospect that has the size, the arm talent, the ball placement, and the wheels to get a first down then you have to take a shot if you don't already have someone on your roster checking all of those boxes. So I do think Maye will be either pick 2 or pick 3 depending on how the draft falls. Of course, I'm also describing Will Levis from last year and he fell out of the first round so there is more to the QB position than just tools. I think thats where the evaluation of Maye will be tough. I only watched a couple of games and I saw a lot of 'that play never had a chance' due to the defense blowing up North Carolina's oline. There does seem to be a boom/bust factor to Maye imo.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He goes to the Pats at two.

Bottom line for every Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russel, there are Tom Brady's and Brock Purdy's. No player is a lock when transitioning to the NFL. But they are scouted, and poked and prodded and studied and teams make the call. He will be the second player of the board.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the odds are only two of the top six QBs will be worth anything more than mid so you're probably right. I just think that if you see a prospect that has the size, the arm talent, the ball placement, and the wheels to get a first down then you have to take a shot if you don't already have someone on your roster checking all of those boxes. So I do think Maye will be either pick 2 or pick 3 depending on how the draft falls. Of course, I'm also describing Will Levis from last year and he fell out of the first round so there is more to the QB position than just tools. I think thats where the evaluation of Maye will be tough. I only watched a couple of games and I saw a lot of 'that play never had a chance' due to the defense blowing up North Carolina's oline. There does seem to be a boom/bust factor to Maye imo.

In retrospect, Levis has looked worthy of an earlier pick. Must have been that mayo coffee thing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He goes to the Pats at two.

Bottom line for every Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russel, there are Tom Brady's and Brock Purdy's. No player is a lock when transitioning to the NFL. But they are scouted, and poked and prodded and studied and teams make the call. He will be the second player of the board.

Maybe not for every. The late round unquestioned starting QBs are much rarer than 1st round busts.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not for every. The late round unquestioned starting QBs are much rarer than 1st round busts.
True but you get the point. It's almost always a crap shoot. Great college talent does not always transfer to the NFL

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but you get the point. It's almost always a crap shoot. Great college talent does not always transfer to the NFL

Absolutely. The colleges have largely given up trying to produce pro system passers, having OCs call plays at the LOS and QBs only required to make 1 or 2 reads. The NFL had to adopt college style offenses to some degree to get more out of these prospects.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average.

Reminds me of his predecessor at North Carolina in Sam Howell, and mostly like Mitch Trubisky (Another North Carolina dude).

How anybody could draft another North Carolina QB in the top 2, much less the 1st 2 rounds is mind-boggling to say the least.
Russell Wilson?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in north carolina then.

Personally prefer the raleigh area.

He was drafted out of Wisconsin though. Had some time to improve his stock (and still lasted until the 3rd round). Teams were critical of his size.