• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This pisses me off

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I see the PIT player hitting the guy as he would any football player: hard and in the padding. Maybe a few more days in the weight room would have done that punter some good.

If I'm the coach for the kicker and punter on a football team. I would strong urge these guys not to try to make a tackle to a returner. There are 21 other guys on the football field and it's fast paced and you're bound to get blindsided the way Huber did.

My stance on the hit remains the same, if this hit happened to anyone else other than the punter, it'll still remain the same. It was a vicious hit regardless.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's perfectly fine, once the ball is in the air and the kicker is trying to make a play on the returner, he is fair game to be hit. It is the type of hit that these players take whether it be punter or any other special team players on the field is in question.

Does Huber deserve to be hit? Absolutely!
Was he defenseless as the NFL described it? Debatable, but I don't think he was.
Was the hit unnecessary roughness? Absolutely Yes.
I'm with you until here. You can't legislate "too hard" or "too soft" as far as hits go. He didn't launch himself off his feet. He didn't pick the guy and slam him down. He didn't throw a punch. His form was perfect IMO and the play should be chalked up to a punter getting laid out when he should have been looking for a clear path.

We can agree to disagree, and you have the NFL ruling to back you up. I just think there is a point where we need to let these guys play the game without pretending they have complete control and pinpoint accuracy when it comes to hitting one another.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're kidding yourself if you don't think there are players or teams out there who target the kicker/punter whenever possible. Bounty-gate proved that teams aren't above headhunting and since kickers/punters are generally the least athletic guys on a team and generally the easiest guys to take out, it isn't that much of a stretch to suggest that a team or a player would go after a kicker or a punter with the intention of knocking him out of the game. Whether that happened on this particular play or not, it's hard to say, but it does happen.

It's a good point because the Steelers have always been known to be a dirty organization. The embarrassing sideline displayed by their HC a few games this season says a lot as well.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're kidding yourself if you don't think there are players or teams out there who target the kicker/punter whenever possible. Bounty-gate proved that teams aren't above headhunting and since kickers/punters are generally the least athletic guys on a team and generally the easiest guys to take out, it isn't that much of a stretch to suggest that a team or a player would go after a kicker or a punter with the intention of knocking him out of the game. Whether that happened on this particular play or not, it's hard to say, but it does happen.
Target whomever you want. All 11 guys are football players. As long as you're not taking out knees or hitting late, the other player is fair game and should expect to have the other team trying to hit him. To think otherwise is fucking stupid for a football player. You're also kidding yourself if you think every punter/kicker is unaware of the fact that they are on a football field where grown men are trying to hit them. Perhaps it would behoove those players to make sure there isn't a truck barreling down in front of them while they've got their eyes locked 15 yards over their shoulder while they run.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you until here. You can't legislate "too hard" or "too soft" as far as hits go. He didn't launch himself off his feet. He didn't pick the guy and slam him down. He didn't throw a punch. His form was perfect IMO and the play should be chalked up to a punter getting laid out when he should have been looking for a clear path.

We can agree to disagree, and you have the NFL ruling to back you up. I just think there is a point where we need to let these guys play the game without pretending they have complete control and pinpoint accuracy when it comes to hitting one another.

It brings up an interesting point because look at how they have protected the QB's in this league. A minor ticky tacky hit to the head can cause the defense 15 yards, but a hit like to Huber didn't even draw a flag.

Chancellor's hit on Davis last year was clearly a clean hit that drawn a flag. Overall, there's a lot of inconsistency.
:noidea:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It brings up an interesting point because look at how they have protected the QB's in this league. A minor ticky tacky hit to the head can cause the defense 15 yards, but a hit like to Huber didn't even draw a flag.

Chancellor's hit on Davis last year was clearly a clean hit that drawn a flag. Overall, there's a lot of inconsistency.
:noidea:
Which is why I'm in favor of some sort of accountability for these helmet to helmet/defenseless receiver flags, whether that be a challenge flag or a review of the officials after every game by an independent source. Yes, that Chancellor hit on Davis last year was the perfect example. It looked illegal in real time, but it was an absolutely perfect hit in every sense per the NFL's standards.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Target whomever you want. All 11 guys are football players. As long as you're not taking out knees or hitting late, the other player is fair game and should expect to have the other team trying to hit him. To think otherwise is fucking stupid for a football player. You're also kidding yourself if you think every punter/kicker is unaware of the fact that they are on a football field where grown men are trying to hit them. Perhaps it would behoove those players to make sure there isn't a truck barreling down in front of them while they've got their eyes locked 15 yards over their shoulder while they run.

My question to you is. How is this any different than aiming high around the neck/head area? Going for the neck area is just about as dangerous as taking out knees.
Now, Gavin is 6'3" 221lbs and Huber is 6'1" 212lbs. So there's no much of a height difference there as much as you think.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm off to bed. Nice chatting with you guys.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question to you is. How is this any different than aiming high around the neck/head area? Going for the neck area is just about as dangerous as taking out knees.
Now, Gavin is 6'3" 221lbs and Huber is 6'1" 212lbs. So there's no much of a height difference there as much as you think.
Because the target area is the chest and when moving at full speed, the chest and the neck are not far apart, especially in instances where the hit receiver is tucking in preparation of being hit.

HawkCity

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where I sit on this, one he has on football pads and is still considered a football player even as a punter/kicker. Now if you try to make a tackle you are just like every other player on that field. Now the NFL has a rule in which it states that the kicker and punter are considered a defenseless player for the entire play of the down. So if this is a rule then why even punt it?, why not just let him snap the ball and run it in for a touchdown. If your on a football field you already have acknowledge that you could get hurt in this sport. The only other option would be for the kicker or punter to make there kick and run off the field after the kick.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where I sit on this, one he has on football pads and is still considered a football player even as a punter/kicker. Now if you try to make a tackle you are just like every other player on that field. Now the NFL has a rule in which it states that the kicker and punter are considered a defenseless player for the entire play of the down. So if this is a rule then why even punt it?, why not just let him snap the ball and run it in for a touchdown. If your on a football field you already have acknowledge that you could get hurt in this sport. The only other option would be for the kicker or punter to make there kick and run off the field after the kick.

The problem wasn't that the punter was blocked, it's the manner in which he was blocked. It doesn't even matter that he was a punter. Golden Tate was fined for a similar block on Sean Lee last season. It's the blind side nature of these blocks that the NFL is trying to do away with.

This is another argument that fans have about whether the NFL is making football weaker with these rules, but the fans have no input on these calls. This should have been flagged according to the rules, and it should draw a fine as well. This is how the NFL is, you CANNOT crack block, even if you think the guy should be more aware. You cannot blow up a player in this fashion.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem wasn't that the punter was blocked, it's the manner in which he was blocked. It doesn't even matter that he was a punter. Golden Tate was fined for a similar block on Sean Lee last season. It's the blind side nature of these blocks that the NFL is trying to do away with.

This is another argument that fans have about whether the NFL is making football weaker with these rules, but the fans have no input on these calls. This should have been flagged according to the rules, and it should draw a fine as well. This is how the NFL is, you CANNOT crack block, even if you think the guy should be more aware. You cannot blow up a player in this fashion.

I'm not sure about that.

What is a crackback penalty in football

While the block can be very effective it can also be very devastating. The blocker has a running start and is hitting a defensive player who is usually not expecting to get hit. So there is a rule on the books (NFL) that states if an offensive player makes this type of block, contact with the defensive player must be made at waist height or above if the blocker, in motion towards the offensive tackle, is more than two yards away, laterally, from the offensive tackle at the time of the snap.

One other clause within this rule states that the block is not illegal if made five yards or more down field from the line of scrimmage or five yards or more behind from the line of scrimmage.

Now it was an illegal hit because the defender didn't get low enough, he tried, but failed. Thus the busted jaw and teeth. He needed to be lower by three or four inches.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kickers and punters are defenseless players even on the return, just like QBs. That is the rule. I understand why you are arguing that it should not be the rule, but it is the current rule. Kickers and punters do not put on the muscle mass or weight required to take a hit by a LB or lineman. They also do not practice taking hits as part of their job. I am guessing they do practice attempting tackles.

The NFL is going away from hits and back to the original intent of the game, tackling. If you grew up with hits, like many of us did, then you can blame the players who administered and received those hits for this change in the rules.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, once the ball is punted in the air and the punter/kicker is trying to make a block or impede a return attempt, he's fair game to be tackled, blocked and hit. That I have no problem with.

The problem I have is the manner he was being hit. Call it a bang-bang play, but it was still an illegal hit which should've drawn a flag at the time being. It shouldn't have to take the NFL to watch the play and game again to find it to be illegal.

Because the hit at the time wasn't being flagged, it obviously had an impact on the outcome of the game.

As far as the NFL saying the punter/kicker being DEFENSELESS THROUGH THE ENTIRE DOWN. That's BS and I don't agree with it.