• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This hit cost him 21K? LOL at the Goodell and the NFL

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have told all of you the reasons why they make these ambiguous rules that are all open to interpretations. It has nothing to do with actual "safety."

The guise of "safety" has been very lucrative for politicians, and these same types.

In order to extrapolate dollars from ignorant millionaires and to create a perception that the NFL is proactive in making the game safer to guard against broke ex-NFL players who are suing cause they have headaches and BROKE on behalf of shyster lawyas is what this is all about.

Hey, it use to be a great game.

Much of the reason why I have been less and less excited about the upcoming seasons.

Hey all good things come to an end, and tackle football is on the clock.

We live in world where California spent a bunch of money to create bathrooms to comply with people are confused about their genders. So in order to placate their plights, male female neutral bathrooms will now be built in schools. Cause apparently there is a real crisis of girls with lady parts being confused cause they "feel" like they should have boy parts and vice versa.

That is the LAWYA overly litigious society we all live in....is my point.

Here is the hit:

Last edited by a moderator:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes perfect sense to me that the league is taking steps to reduce its liability. Will those steps reduce the quality of entertainment that the league produces? Perhaps. Seems to me, however, that with so much money at stake, it would be unwise not to adapt.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes perfect sense to me that the league is taking steps to reduce its liability. Will those steps reduce the quality of entertainment that the league produces? Perhaps. Seems to me, however, that with so much money at stake, it would be unwise not to adapt.

It is a fucking joke. Nothing wrong with that hit...at all.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the topic of this thread reminded of comments made by the Texans safety about his hit that knocked Dustin Keller out for the year:

""With the rules in this era you've got to hit low," Swearinger said. "If I would have hit him high, I would have gotten a fine. So I think I made the smartest play. I'm sorry it happened and I pray he has a speedy recovery. ... Right now it's just instinct. You see somebody come across the middle, you gotta go low. You're going to cost your team 15 yards. You've got to play within the rules.""

Really highlights some of the "unintended consequences" associated with rule changes.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't look at the hit, but I trust that you are right about it. I'm simply saying that it makes sense from a business point of view for the league to do what it can to protect its lucrative business.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just looked at the video clip and I absolutely agree with you, BB. Guess I just try to view what the league is trying to do in a way that is consistent with the Shaw quote at the bottom of your posts.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Swearinger comments were ridiculous. The Jon Bostic hit is about as good of a clean hard hit as you can get so not sure what else he can do in that situation. NFL players have said they would rather get hit up high because their legs are their livelihood. IF the NFL truly wants to protect its players they need to invest millions into designing safer helmets. There are better ones in college right now than in the pros from what I understand. To me the NFL says they are doing things to protect the players but in all actuality they are doing whatever it takes to keep themselves from getting sued. They would rather a player have a leg snapped in half than have to worry about a player getting a concussion. I understand the head is more important than the leg in the long term of things but again this comes back to designing safer equipment than actually completely changing how the game is played and encouraging guys to go low and sweep the leg (had to throw in a Karate Kid reference).

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a form tackle.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't look at the hit, but I trust that you are right about it. I'm simply saying that it makes sense from a business point of view for the league to do what it can to protect its lucrative business.

Well yeah it makes sense from a business point of view....sort of. The other thing they look at is the amount of money they collected through fines from the players.

Each year, like another aspect, they want to make more than they did the year before.

What is rather hard to find is how much money the NFL collects as a whole in fines from players and coaches every year. If you can look up that information, good luck. I have tried to find it and the only place I saw that said it would show it was taken down.

They claim to give ALL of that money to charitable causes. Of course they do. All for altruistic reasons I am sure. It is more than just creating perceptions of safety. That is their justification. Cause in reality they want to collect more in fines than they did the year before.

As far as those charities that they give to from those fines, well good luck in finding which charities those are. In every other charitable donation the NFL is all too willing to provide information for that, except of course to for the super bowl winning jerseys of losing teams they give to 3rd world countries.

world-vision-super-bowl-bears.jpg

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect that amount of money the league collects in fines each year, though a seemingly large sum, is an infinitesimally small proportion of its total annual revenues. Like many business enterprises, the league finds it good public relations to donate money to charity.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly on the bottom of every fine letter that the NFL hands out they are supposed to inform them of what charity it goes to.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seemed like a great hit to me, not sure why he was fined.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I missed the "wrapping up" part of a form tackle in the clip, I guess.

You must have, because he did it.

You don't have to have your hands touch behind him to be a form tackle.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have, because he did it.

You don't have to have your hands touch behind him to be a form tackle.

That was a great hit but it was not a form tackle by any means.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. The big hits that get guys on Sports Center are frequently not "form tackles". Not that there is anything wrong with that, unless, of course, it is a guy who whiffs while trying to make a big hit that makes the show.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shoulder to the chests, arms as far to both sides as possible, and drive. From the angle he was at you can't do much better.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

He lead with his helmet and hit him helmet to helmet, plain and simple. Form tackling is having your head to the side as you drive into the ballcarriers chest with you shoulder and wrap your arms around the guy (which is a lost art). The opinion that the hit was a "form tackle" is what is really wrong with football today, the teaching that leading with the helmet on a collision is ok. The helmet is used to protect the head, not as a weapon.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

He lead with his helmet and hit him helmet to helmet, plain and simple. Form tackling is having your head to the side as you drive into the ballcarriers chest with you shoulder and wrap your arms around the guy (which is a lost art). The opinion that the hit was a "form tackle" is what is really wrong with football today, the teaching that leading with the helmet on a collision is ok. The helmet is used to protect the head, not as a weapon.

His head was up. He didn't lead with it.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoulder to the chests, arms as far to both sides as possible, and drive. From the angle he was at you can't do much better.

Then why is the Charger's players head the first thing to move upon initial impact? Watch at 36 seconds into the clip.