• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things could be worse?

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1686647064633.png

1686647102685.png

WOW! As of right now we are a playoff team!

VS the rest of the NL. WE are killing the Central ... eh minus the Cubs...

1686647228767.png

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Grant Brisbee today:

Here are the most-used Giants relievers this year, along with where they rank in all of baseball when it comes to innings pitched in relief this season:

4. Jakob Junis
22. Tyler Rogers
32. Tristan Beck
42. Camilo Doval
72. John Brebbia (with starts included)
156. Taylor Rogers
160. Sean Manaea
171. Scott Alexander
252. Sean Hjelle
255. Ryan Walker
285. Ross Stripling

Of the traditional relievers, Tyler Rogers has a hefty workload, as you would expect, and so does Doval. After that, though? It’s light use for a team that leans on its bullpen like few others in baseball.

Junis is an outlier, except he’s not being deployed like a regular reliever. He’s the truest hybrid the Giants have on the roster. He’s pitched a four-inning game, and afterward, he got five days rest. He’s pitched four different three-inning games, and afterward, he got at least four days rest. He’s pitched six two-plus inning games, and he got at least four days rest after all of them.

He’s the secret sauce in all this. He’s absorbed more innings as a reliever than all but three pitchers, but when it comes to his rest after extended outings, he’s closer to a starting pitcher. He would rank 130th in innings pitched if he were a starter, which he’s not. But he’s not not a starting pitcher.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Grant Brisbee today:

Here are the most-used Giants relievers this year, along with where they rank in all of baseball when it comes to innings pitched in relief this season:

4. Jakob Junis
22. Tyler Rogers
32. Tristan Beck
42. Camilo Doval
72. John Brebbia (with starts included)
156. Taylor Rogers
160. Sean Manaea
171. Scott Alexander
252. Sean Hjelle
255. Ryan Walker
285. Ross Stripling

Of the traditional relievers, Tyler Rogers has a hefty workload, as you would expect, and so does Doval. After that, though? It’s light use for a team that leans on its bullpen like few others in baseball.

Junis is an outlier, except he’s not being deployed like a regular reliever. He’s the truest hybrid the Giants have on the roster. He’s pitched a four-inning game, and afterward, he got five days rest. He’s pitched four different three-inning games, and afterward, he got at least four days rest. He’s pitched six two-plus inning games, and he got at least four days rest after all of them.

He’s the secret sauce in all this. He’s absorbed more innings as a reliever than all but three pitchers, but when it comes to his rest after extended outings, he’s closer to a starting pitcher. He would rank 130th in innings pitched if he were a starter, which he’s not. But he’s not not a starting pitcher.
Tristan Beck, it should be noted, is 32nd on the list despite only being in the big leagues from April 20th to June 11th. He hasn't started a game all season and appeared in only 13 games with the Giants. He threw 5+ innings twice, 2 more games with 3+ innings and another 4 games with 2+ innings pitched. His rest wasn't quite as long as Junis between games. It is very strange, to me, that he even got sent down to AAA. He's been valuable to the big league club.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tristan Beck, it should be noted, is 32nd on the list despite only being in the big leagues from April 20th to June 11th. He hasn't started a game all season and appeared in only 13 games with the Giants. He threw 5+ innings twice, 2 more games with 3+ innings and another 4 games with 2+ innings pitched. His rest wasn't quite as long as Junis between games. It is very strange, to me, that he even got sent down to AAA. He's been valuable to the big league club.
And when he was used, it was in “sacrificial lamb” situations. He was “taking one for the team” most times out.

Tough way to start your career, but I think he earned a lot of respect from the FO AND the locker room.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very proud of this tread...

Warning Romany Malco GIF by ABC Network

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet baby jeebers...

Thread. I'm very proud of this thread. lol.
Seriously some good content being posted. :)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when he was used, it was in “sacrificial lamb” situations. He was “taking one for the team” most times out.

Tough way to start your career, but I think he earned a lot of respect from the FO AND the locker room.

I thought it was great when the Giants picked up Beck from the scrap heap. His AA and AAA numbers were not great, but he throws hard and was an elite pitcher in college. Glad to see him doing well. I could see him maybe becoming a #4-#5 starter. And he is relatively young and inexpensive. Bonus-Bonus.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was great when the Giants picked up Beck from the scrap heap. His AA and AAA numbers were not great, but he throws hard and was an elite pitcher in college. Glad to see him doing well. I could see him maybe becoming a #4-#5 starter. And he is relatively young and inexpensive. Bonus-Bonus.
When we got him, I thought he was a legit get for the garbage we sent in return (he was the centerpiece we got back for peepee dance).

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your love affair with the Pirates?
Well if you're asking me... after we left San Mateo, CA when I was but a wee lad we moved to East Mckeesport, PA.
Not too far from Pittsburgh. We went to several Pirate games, and yes ugh steeler games, and I've had a soft spot for them ever since. But not the steelers. I hate them.

I also have in laws there and they are Pirates fans so I don't mind them so much...

I also root for the ChiSox and Orioles... but that is due to a couple of college roommates ...

Last edited:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you're asking me... after we left San Mateo, CA when I was but a wee lad we moved to East Mckeesport, PA.
Not too far from Pittsburgh. We went to several Pirate games, and yes ugh steeler games, and I've had a soft spot for them ever since. But not the steelers. I hate them.

I also have in laws there and they are Pirates fans so I don't mind them so much...

I also root for the ChiSox and Orioles... but that is due to a couple of college roommates ...
I was traumatized in the fourth grade when we lost to the Pirates in the NLCS. Since, I've become a fan (We Are Family when I was in HS). Also, THIS GUY, native SF who went to my HS:

images.jpeg

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants big picture stats and MLB ranks in 2023:

107 wRC+ (T-7th)
3.92 rotation ERA (6th)
3.77 bullpen ERA (11th)
+11 OAA (T-6th)

Not hard to see them finishing top 5 in all categories.