• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The XFL might make a comeback in 2018

If it came back, will it succeed this time?

• Total voters

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better chance the mullet makes a comeback than the XFL...
LOL, probably but if I were marketing it I'd sell it as "Not your Father's Professional Football".

One ad would be "No Goodell" with a crossed out circle over his face.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is already plagued with many mind numbingly boring games, so much so that fans are starting to become indifferent. If you can't maintain a certain level of excitement, you can have all the leagues you want and the people won't watch. You know, unless the whole topless cheerleader thing pans out.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, probably but if I were marketing it I'd sell it as "Not your Father's Professional Football".

One ad would be "No Goodell" with a crossed out circle over his face.
Marketing was never the problem the first time. The first game was hugely successful with attendance and ratings. But people soon saw that it was all smoke and mirrors and they were watching really crappy football by untalented players so it fell off the cliff. Of course, it didn't help to have the marquis player get injured on the ball scramble 2 seconds into the season. All the gimmicks in the world won't matter if the on-field product is crappy, imo.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy the theory that the XFL failed because it was 'bad' football ... People love college football and it is an inferior product (talent-wise) to the talent that was in the XFL.

I just don't know if there is any additional demand for the product of American football that needs to be supplied to consumers ... with all of the college football and NFL games, people just don't really want any more football ...

that's why arena football, usfl, xfl, and every other start up has failed ...

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it would work but it is the right time to do it. People are fed up with all the rule changes and ratings are dropping. So is this the reason trump decided to attack the NFL this yr?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marketing was never the problem the first time. The first game was hugely successful with attendance and ratings. But people soon saw that it was all smoke and mirrors and they were watching really crappy football by untalented players so it fell off the cliff. Of course, it didn't help to have the marquis player get injured on the ball scramble 2 seconds into the season. All the gimmicks in the world won't matter if the on-field product is crappy, imo.

For me their first marketing team did nothing for me, and I only watched a little bit of a few games.
I dont think all the marketing in the world will get us old folks to tune in but if they just aim at the young they might get them to flip over as they're not as tied to their teams.

If the XFL is going to survive they need to gain fans, I'm old, I'm not migrating over.

If the XFL sets rules favorable to players not being suspended without proof a few NFL players might take a look, and college kids who like to take recreational drugs will sign there rather than the NFL.

I don't think the XFL will survive, just giving my thoughts on what they need to do for a chance.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Leach will be the first coach hired, book it

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The XFL failed because it was too much h like wrestling. Gimmicks and stupid shut don't work with most football fans.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just keep Trump away from it.
r4427v75ph401.jpg

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timing is much better now than it was then.

The ratings of the NFL are down. I don't think it will last much longer though. Either people are comfortable not watching football altogether or they will go back watching NFL. The coverage of protests are way down compared to before and NFL is still the standard for football. Arena Football League and Canadian Football League will not go up in ratings. If XFL promotes themselves right, it could get decent ratings, IMO.

Also, XFL and WWF/E connection was horrible timing. It was right in the peak of Monday Night Wars and the story lines were borderline breaking rules for censorship, if not going too far. So, Vince McMahon incorporated that into the XFL when ratings started to drop, and it became more about gimmicks than football. Now, WWE is not pushing censorship. I also think there are many decisions that they look back now and think "Why did I do that?" I think XFL and WWE connection now wouldn't so bad.

Some things they should do/don't do

(Don't do) - Cheerleader storylines
(Do) - Great promo commercials
(Don't do) - Compare themselves to NFL
(Do) - Experiment with coverage techniques
(Don't do) - Fumble recovery to start the game
(Do) - Look into the real issues of concussion/head injuries
(Don't do) - Panic when ratings drop after a few weeks and create stupid storylines/gimmicks
(Do) - Instead of competing with NFL, try work with NFL GMs and be a development league

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The XFL failed because it was too much h like wrestling. Gimmicks and stupid shut don't work with most football fans.

The gimmicks didn't bother me, then again, I was s 17 year old wrestling fan at the time (I'm not proud of it).

The product just wasn't there. They had minimal coaching staffs, no time to practice because of how poorly it was planned. The most featured games usually sucked.

I'm all for a minor league system in the NFL. But it should be partnered with the NFL and run in conjunction with the league year.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it COULD work.......if they're serious about FOOTBALL

not all the wrestling crap they tried, sending camera men into the cheerleader dressing rooms, etc......

Focus on developing real teams and coaching. Hire some quality coaches, start with maybe 8 teams, work your way up to a larger league. Have a very lengthy ramp up time......give the teams 2 months to practice and workout. Don't have greater than a 10 game season to help keep injuries to a minimum.