• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The US Open 2014 thread

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Labor day weekend is almost impossible to get tickets late. Maybe the night sessions if you are lucky.

Not going this year myself. Too many things to take care of this year. Don't want to spend the extra money. Last year was fun though. I think I might actually take a break for a while and wait until all the new construction is done.

You are indeed the old lion!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah except ashe. The ground pass during labor day weekend for the day session is amazing. So much action on the grounds.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to get itch to go next weekend. Saturday looks like a total washout so depending on the weather Sunday, I probably will attend. Right now Stubhub has ground admission tickets for $109 which isn't that terrible. So if that still there tmr or even late tonight I will get it.....Or I may just go on Monday as they have grounds admission passes for just $87

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Order of play is out for tmr btw

On Ashe in the day session Halep, Venus, & Wawrinka are on court which Maria & Novak having the night session.

Armstrong has Radwanska, Murray, Sloane, & Raonic

The best match of the day IMO is Youzhny vs Kyrgios. No other match really catches my eye

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best match of the day IMO is Youzhny vs Kyrgios. No other match really catches my eye

I love Wawrinka-Vesely as an old generation versus new generation match. Also, three years ago Haase took Murray to 5 when Murray was playing much better.

Either of those could be a blowout, but if Wawrinka or Murray have one of their famous off days, they could be good.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW i just looked at a 10 day weather forecast for NYC and man if shit doesn't change, Saturday-Monday/Tuesday looks really bad. A lot of rain is in the forecast especially for Saturday

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno why I am extra thrilled for this USO. Feels like Wimbledon almost. Can watch live and for free with the USO live app in my iPhone too.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the espn app and tennis channel app so I'll be watching all day at work once it gets to the 3rd round. I don't care to see top players steam roll shitty opponents in the first 2 rounds. If I see a good match, I'll tune in while at work but other wise I will only watch the night session until for the first 3 days but will keep track of scores

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't help myself. I just bought GA tickets for labor day. 78 bucks

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MEN's Draw:

Djokovic's quarter:

Isner-Kohlschreiber 3rd round could be a decent match. I'll pick Isner in 4.

Djokovic-Isner 4th round: Isner has a chance, but still have to go with Djokovic in 4. A good matchup of styles with a great server vs. great returner. Djokovic is a good server himself too, now.

Murray-Haase 1st round: Yes, I said 1st round. These guys have played some good matches in the past. They played a 5 setter at the USO in 2011.

I'll pick Murray in 4.

Tsonga-Benneteau 3rd round: This could be interesting if Tsonga has trouble breaking Benneteau. Tsonga in 3.

Murray-Tsonga 4th round
: I intermittently pick Tsonga in these matchups, even though he hasn't rarely beats Murray in a GS. I'll pick Tsonga again this time. Tsonga in 3, it's just not going to be Murray's day.

Djokovic-Tsonga QF: This is a GS, Djokovic will play well. Djokovic in 3. I wouldn't mind being wrong, just to see Tsonga break through.

Wawrinka's Quarter:

Wawrinka-Falla 3rd round: This could be a tight 4-5 setter, if Falla is serving well. Wawrinka in 4.

Wawrinka-Raonic QF: My gut says Wawrinka will play a match with too many errors and lose.

I like watching Wawrinka more though, I'll hope that he plays his best and wins in 5.

Ferrer's Quarter:

Tomic-Ferrer 2nd round: I feel this will be a quick upset, one of the bigger ones to this point in the tourney. Tomic in 3.

Tomic-Simon 3rd round: Tomic has more variety of shots. Simon has the steadier game. I'll pick Simon, partly because I want to see him win, and partly because Tomic has never played a match from start to finish that wowed me.

Cilic-Janowicz 3rd round: I think Janowicz will have more aces, but Cilic has the more varied game. Cilic in 5.

Cilic-Simon 4th round: Interesting contrast of styles. Sometimes Cilic doesn't look good moving, Simon might do that to him. Simon in 5.

Berdych-Feliciano Lopez
4th round: Berdych might have some trouble, but he'll most likely win. Berdych in 3.

Berdych-Simon QF: Berdych has too much consistency and power (even though Berdych can hit too many long shots too). Berdych has the chance to really blow Simon out. Berdych in 4.

FED's Quarter:

Monfils-Dimitrov 4th round: The former rising star (Monfils) vs. the current rising star (Dimitrov).

Dimitrov probably has more talent and is more consistent. However, I'm feeling Monfils isn't going to surrender.

Please, let this be a night match, because Monfils will have even more fun with the crowd.

Monfils in 5.

FED - Monfils QF:
If this were a smaller tourney, Monfils would have a chance. However, it's very unlikely Monfils can take 3 sets from FED. FED in 3.

Djokovic-Wawrinka SF: I really really hope they paly a 5-setter for the 4th straight time in a GS.

I want this to be a real rivalry, so I'll pick Wawrinka. Wawrinka has to show he can beat Djokovic more than once in a GS, for this to be a rivalry.

Berdych-FED SF: Berdych has beaten FED a few times in GS. He has a great chance of doing it again.

FED needs to break Berdych 4x to win IMO.

FED in 4.

Wawrinka-FED Finals:
Both players will be confident.

Wawrinka has more power on his serve.

I don't trust FED's serve in windy weather as much as Wawrinka's.

I think the difference will be, while Wawrinka can beat most players from the baseline, if FED is coming to the net, he'll most likely win those points, and that's something Wawrinka might not be good at stopping.

FED in 5.

Weird, I can't believe I didn't pick Djokovic to win this, I think I have the past few years.

WOMEN's Draw:

Serena's Quarter:

Serena - Schiavone 2nd round: 3 years ago, this would have been fun to watch. Now, it will be an easy Serena win.

Serena - Ivanovic QF: Yes, Ivanovic beat her at the AO. I don't think Ivanovic will be due for another win until 1-2 more matchups.

Serena in 2.

Kvitova's Quarter:

Kvitova-Azarenka 4th round: This could be the match of the tourney. Azarenka in 3, better movement.

Bouchard-Azarenka QF: Bouchard has a little more variety IMO, but Azarenka is more relentless. Azarenka in 2.

Radwanska's Quarter:

Not too sure, either Radwanska or Kerber will come out of this quarter. Kerber doesn't have any big weapons, but for some reason I think she'll make it through.

Halep's Quarter:

Halep-Venus 4th round: Venus is 3-0, but Halep is improved. I'll take Halep in 2.

Sharapova-Lisicki 3rd round: I like Lisicki more because she double faults less. Lisicki in 2. Sharapova is 5-1, but oh well.

Lisicki-Wozniacki 4th round
: Wozniacki overpowered, as usual. Lisicki in 3. Rooting for Wozniacki though.

Halep-Lisicki QF: Lisicki's power will be too much that day.

Serena - Azarenka SF: I don't like how Azarenka plays from behind in most of these matchups. Serena in 2. Azarenka has to work too hard to win games, and she rarely takes the 1st lead in a set.

Kerber-Lisicki SF
: Lisicki with the power, again. Kerber is 5-0 against Lisicki though, wow. Still, Lisicki should win at some point.

Serena - Lisicki Finals: This could be a good match if Lisicki can do more than serve.

Still have to pick Serena, I'll say in 3. 3rd set will be an easy one though.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haase-Murray is the only interesting thing I see tomorrow. That's a morning match.

Other than that, I'll just watch the annual opening day Arthur Ashe Court ceremony that they have before the night session.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the AO is that slow. Or, I don't think the USO is always fast. Sometimes the wind slows the speed down.

The surface that is best for Fed is a low bounce fast court because the higher the bounce is the more powerful your strokes have to be to overcome the height and the topspin that can be generated on it. Fed is not the most strongest or the tallest out there to compensate for this extra factor.

This suggests that Plexicushion, the AO surface, produces a low bounce too:

+++++++++++++++++

Plexicushion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plexicushion bounces lower and more predictably than the hard court surface previously used by the Australian Open before 2008, Rebound Ace.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

This rates them both as fast, with the USO getting the slight edge.

But, that same article later says that he thinks Court Pace Rating is flawed. So take that into consideration.

+++++++++++++++++++

Tennis Court Surfaces and Court Speeds - peRFect Tennis

Grand Slams

Grand Slam Surface Court Pace Rating

Australian Open Plexicushion Prestige Category 4 – Medium-Fast

French Open Clay Category 1 – Slow

Wimbledon Grass Category 3 – Medium

US Open Pro Decoturf II Category 5 – Fast

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Wawrinka-Vesely as an old generation versus new generation match. Also, three years ago Haase took Murray to 5 when Murray was playing much better.

Either of those could be a blowout, but if Wawrinka or Murray have one of their famous off days, they could be good.

Nice call S, Haase giving Murray all he can handle and definitely outplaying him now

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The USO live app doesn't show live matches till this Saturday. Darn!! Will have to catch the live action on sportlemon.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Shell Gasoline! Btw I am old enough to remember Graf's dominance in the women's game. :yahoo:

Well, tennis clown, anybody who is old enough also knows the "Graf's dominance" was made possible by Graf's deranged German fan taking a knife and butchering Monica on her back. Everybody knows Graf had no answer in GS to the emerging power and dominance of Monica. Only when Monica Seles was out of the way for those two years and after did Steffi Graf come back to "dominate."

But this is not about Graf, therefore learn to respond specifically to a post without obfuscating.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schedule for tmr is out.

In the day session at Ashe Ivanovic, Big John, and Kvitova are on court. In the night session to no surprise it is Fed & Serena.

On Armstrong it is Querrey, Bouchard, Ferrer, and Keys.

Not many interesting matches at all.

Isn't the first round 3 days long here?

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, tennis clown, anybody who is old enough also knows the "Graf's dominance" was made possible by Graf's deranged German fan taking a knife and butchering Monica on her back. Everybody knows Graf had no answer in GS to the emerging power and dominance of Monica. Only when Monica Seles was out of the way for those two years and after did Steffi Graf come back to "dominate."

But this is not about Graf, therefore learn to respond specifically to a post without obfuscating.

Graf's h2h vs Seles 10-5.

Read up. This should enlighten you. Probably written by a proSeles (but not blind) tennis fan... Still Graf rules.

Monica Seles Stabbing: Steffi Graf?s Legacy | Tennis Frontier

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Graf would have eventually beaten Seles more consistently again anyways.

That's how some good rivalries work.

For example, Evert won against Navratilova early on, then Navratilova, then they would alternate more or less.

Nadal beat Djokovic for a few years, then Djokovic came back, now they somewhat alternate.

I think Graf and Seles could have been like that.

Or, who knows how long Seles would have peaked. She was still good enough to win 21 titles, including a GS, AFTER her comeback. It's not like she was 1/2 the player she used to be. She was still good.

Maybe she would have played at about the same level by 1995, 1996 anyways.