• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Australian Open Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm disappointed in Dimitrov. He had a chance to take the 3rd set in the TB on his serve and he makes a crucial error. You can't afford to miss opportunities like that when you're playing the top players

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm disappointed in Dimitrov. He had a chance to take the 3rd set in the TB on his serve and he makes a crucial error. You can't afford to miss opportunities like that when you're playing the top players

Agreed. He seemed poised to win but blew it with long shots.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very quietly, Stefan Kozlov is into the Australian Open Junior finals before his 16th b-day. He's the #2 seed. If he can take down #1 Alexander Zverev, the young American will join an elite group (Young, Tomic) of people who won a GS that young.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw him play at Newport. Kid is very good. Tough task though.

Hoopla Bookie

Bet Bot
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,153,284.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Women's Final Betting

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...89-1-25-tennis-li-vs-cibulkova-3-30am-et.html

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Djokovic-Wawrinka: Wawrinka struggled with his serve in the 4th and 5th set, getting into many 0-30 type holes in his service games. But he fought hard and won most of them.

I thought his shot-making was a little better in the match last year, but he probably made less mistakes this year late in the match, and capitalized on Djokovic's last two errors of the match.

Good to see him break through, players like him need to see that they can beat the top guys in majors too.

FED-Murray: FED was able to dictate for the entire match, but Murray fought hard and did the best he could FED was just better for the night. But Murray didn't play bad at all, he wasn't making mistakes. He just couldn't end points.

This wasn't the Murray of 2-3 years ago, where he still didn't look like he was as talented. This was Murray trying as hard as he could on that night.

FED did well at the net, just like with the Tsonga match.

Wawrinka-Berdych: With 3 tiebreak sets, not much separated them. Berdych tends to spray the ball a little more, so Wawrinka was ok with just extending the rally a little and letting Berdych hit it out.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictions:

MEN's Draw:

Nadal's Quarter:

Nadal-Del Potro QF: Nadal wins most of them. Nadal is also better on hard courts now than in 2009, when Del Potro won most of them.

Del Potro also hasn't gotten past the QF here, and has never made a great run IMO. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but that he hasn't done it yet.

I think Nadal in 4.

Murray's Quarter:

Murray-Isner 4th round: I always wish Isner would do better here, maybe this will be the year. I don't think I've seen this matchup before. I look forward to it then. Isner has to come forward more. I'll be optimistic for a good match and say Murray in 4.

I think Murray is going to win the AO one year tough, you can't get to 3 Finals and not eventually win it, right?

Federer-Verdasco 3rd round: I don't know the impact FED's new racquet and coach will have yet, so that's a wildcard.

I'd like FED to have an easy win against a good player, but FED has to show he can have an easy win first, before I believe in him again.

I'll say this goes the distance, FED in 5, although I'd like a 3 set win.

Tsonga-Simon 3rd round: Cilic might not get past Granollers or Simon in the 1st two rounds. Cilic has been a scrub in recent years. So I picked Simon over Cilic in the 2nd round.

Now as for Tsonga-Simon, I'd like to see how the two styles are in this matchup. Tsonga is the better player, but this has the potential to be a good 5 setter.

Tsonga in 4.

Tsonga-Federer 4th round: Have to give the edge to Tsonga now until FED proves otherwise. Tsonga in 3.

Tsonga-Murray QF: Tsonga has beaten him before here, although that was in 2008. I think they match up better on grass, where the points are shorter. Murray is the better hardcourt player. But Murray is coming off of injury. But so is Tsonga, he's only been back for a few months.

I guess I'll go with Murray in 3, just have a feeling that neither will be playing their best.

Ferrer's Quarter:

I'd like to see a Berdych-Haas 4th round. I'll pick Berdych to come out of this quarter.

Djokovic's Quarter:

A Gasquet-Davydenko 2nd round match could be interesting. I'll pick Gasquet in 3, but hope for a good match.

Gasquet-Wawrinka 4th round: I'll take Wawrinka in 3, just too much offense and quick power. But sylistically, should be a fun match.

Djokovic-Wawrinka QF: The dream is for Wawrinka to finally win one of these. I hate seeing someone come close but not win one.

Djokovic has a 15-2 H2H record.

I'll pick Wawrinka in 4, even though my head tells me not to.

Nadal-Murray SF: It's hard to get against Nadal after his hard court season last year. Nadal in 3.

Berdych-Wawrinka SF: I have no idea what to expect from this one. Wawrinka is a more complete player. Berdych can get into a rut where his shots are too long.

I'll pick Wawrinka in 3.

Nadal-Wawrinka Finals: This matchup has rarely been competitive. I'd hate for Wawrinka to get this far, only to get blown out, but that's what I see coming. It's got to be disheartening if he does get blown out.

Nadal in 3.
From my pre-tourney predictions, got both Finalists right.

Unfortunately, I didn't think the Finals would be good, pre-tourney.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played 5 times since 2012 but 3 of the meetings were on Clay so we can throw that out of the window. In their most recent 2 meetings which both took place on hard court, 3 of the 4 sets went to a TB even though Rafa won all 4 sets.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to sleep now but setting my alarm for 430 AM so I can see the match

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to sleep now but setting my alarm for 430 AM so I can see the match

I took a nap from 4pm-5:30pm. I should be good for the Finals.

Hope Stan wins, despite the h2h. I hope it's a better match than the 2013 FO Finals with Ferrer and Nadal, or the Madrid Finals with Wawrinka and Nadal.

Here's a clip of the awkward champagne scene from Madrid:

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the 3rd year in a row, I think the AO will be my favorite major. It just seems to have the best matches.