• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Australian Open 2014....10 days to go

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the first tennis major of the year begins on Jan 13...just 10 short days from now. Here are some thoughts.

Men

Time to face facts. With the undeniable decline of Federer, the "big 3" in men's tennis right now are Rafa, Djokovic, and Murray. It's hard not to pencil in all 3 of them to make the semis, and set up a final between 2 of them. Outside of this big 3, nobody else has made an Aussie Open final since 2010, when Federer won it.

Federer recognized he had to make a significant change, and has wisely, I believe, taken on Stefan Edberg to coach him for at least the first couple of months of 2014. I'm not sold on how much it will help him factor in at the 2014 Aussie Open; however, it does set up an interesting dynamic, given that Murray is being coached by Lendl, and Djokovic recently added Boris Becker to his corner. For these 3 coach-player dynamic duos, we're talking about 45 majors....that's about 1/3 of all major titles won in the past 30 years.

I predict Djokovic will make the final again, regardless of whether he plays Murray in the semis or not. If Nadal draws Murray in his half, I think I'd have to put my money on Nadal winning it given Murray's extended layoff in 2013. So I'd put my money on it being a Nole/Rafa final.

Interestingly, if Murray were to somehow win it, he'd have 3 of the 4 majors under his belt, and only need the French for a career slam.

Women

It's all in Serena's hands. I'm pretty sure she'll be on a mission to permanently exorcise memories of her 2013 Aussie Open by coming in strong and focused in Melbourne next week. If she plays at or near her best the entire tournament, nobody will be able to stop her.

Serena plays Azarenka tomorrow in the Brisbane final, and I'll be surprised if Serena doesn't win that one. Vika beat Serena last week in exhibition, but exhibitions are just that.

Interestingly, Sloane Stephes has just hired Paul Annacone as her coach. We'll see if that helps her build on an impressive 2013.

Shoulderpova managed to get deep into a 2nd set with Serena yesterday, but it was more because Serena had some lapses in concentration than anything else.

Where's the next generation of young players, both for the women and men?

Please, kids, make a splash in 2014. The sport needs it. Seeing a youth insurgence at the first major of 2014 is as good a time as any.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. No surprises.

Womens tennis is getting really boring. Hopefully that changes in 2014

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch Fed make a surprisingly far run in this tourney to at least the SF

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch Fed make a surprisingly far run in this tourney to at least the SF

I think it would be a surprise. Not the best surface for him and the heat can be unbearable. When you get older that becomes more of a factor.

Also, I do agree because it is so early in the season there tends to be more upsets. Just not usually at the very top though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be a surprise. Not the best surface for him and the heat can be unbearable. When you get older that becomes more of a factor.

Also, I do agree because it is so early in the season there tends to be more upsets. Just not usually at the very top though.

But he may not need to upset many of the top players to make the SF For all we know he may be in the same Quarter as Murray or Ferrer

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he may not need to upset many of the top players to make the SF For all we know he may be in the same Quarter as Murray or Ferrer

Agreed. I have stated in other threads that if he gets the right draw he can win another major.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge Fed fan.

He lost to a fellow grandpa on the ATP tour, Lleyton Hewitt, in a final yesterday after barely beating Jeremy Chardy the day before.

At his age, with his level of decline, and with the top 3 in the world holding 21 majors between them, it would take a miracle for him to make another major final, much less win one.

His best bet would be Wimbledon. When Sampras pulled out his miracle US Open win, he was younger than Fed is now, and playing in one of the weakest fields in decades. Fed doesn't have that luxury.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a funny feeling that del potro wins the mens. no idea why

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a funny feeling that del potro wins the mens. no idea why

Very possible. I really want him, Tsonga, or Wawrinka to win.

Draw should be coming out in a few days so that should be interesting

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge Fed fan.

He lost to a fellow grandpa on the ATP tour, Lleyton Hewitt, in a final yesterday after barely beating Jeremy Chardy the day before.

At his age, with his level of decline, and with the top 3 in the world holding 21 majors between them, it would take a miracle for him to make another major final, much less win one.

His best bet would be Wimbledon. When Sampras pulled out his miracle US Open win, he was younger than Fed is now, and playing in one of the weakest fields in decades. Fed doesn't have that luxury.

Fed is still adjusting to the larger headsize frame I think. It will be unwise to expect big things right away. Maybe at the French or Wimbledon. His body is still holding up pretty good.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fed is still adjusting to the larger headsize frame I think. It will be unwise to expect big things right away. Maybe at the French or Wimbledon. His body is still holding up pretty good.

I agree that it's unwise to expect big things from Fed.

However, we're talking about Lleyton Hewitt, who is 32, and hadn't won a title of any kind in over 3 1/2 years, and hasn't made a QF at a major in almost 5 years.

Beating Hewitt at a 250 tournament isn't my idea of expecting "big things" from Federer.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it's unwise to expect big things from Fed.

However, we're talking about Lleyton Hewitt, who is 32, and hadn't won a title of any kind in over 3 1/2 years, and hasn't made a QF at a major in almost 5 years.

Beating Hewitt at a 250 tournament isn't my idea of expecting "big things" from Federer.

I know what you mean, but they have an old rivalry and a very competitive one which Hewitt had on his side before Federer turned the tide. They know each other's games well so I am not too surprised by Hewitt beating Federer every once in a while, or Haas "turning the tables" every now and then. Its not like Hewitt can't hit the ball. He was number one, won a couple of slams, and plays very fiercely. Not too worried about this loss.

The thing I like in Federer's regimen for 2014 is the addition of the new coach (Edberg) and the new frame (which came at the right timing, he should have had enough practice with it by Wimby which he is more likely to win than other slams). Fed doesn't have too many points to defend either so less pressure going into those events.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and actually, Hewitt's last title 3.5 years ago came in defeating Federer.

Hewitt's a shell of his former self, though, and new racquet or not, Federer losing to him in a 250 final is shocking. I think it's time that we all just get used to it. He looks slow and weak, and nobody is afraid of facing him anymore.

I just really hope Nole and Murray keep Nad(roid)al from tying or breaking his major record, though I don't see much getting in his way.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger-Federer-Vs-James-Blake-Best-Shot.gif

Fed used too make it look so easy. Man I miss watching him in his prime.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger-Federer-Vs-James-Blake-Best-Shot.gif

Fed used too make it look so easy. Man I miss watching him in his prime.

indeed. it was amazing.

he forced everybody to up their game, from the bottom up. and they did. and now he's a step slower given his age. when guys start messing around with new frames every few months, you know they're in denial. i love fed, and hope he plays as long as he's happy. but i can't imagine him continuing if he goes out early at 2-3 majors this year.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/tennis/133038-sloane-stephens-names-new-coach-paul-annacone.html

and

So, the first tennis major of the year begins on Jan 13...just 10 short days from now. Here are some thoughts.

...Federer recognized he had to make a significant change, and has wisely, I believe, taken on Stefan Edberg to coach him for at least the first couple of months of 2014. I'm not sold on how much it will help him factor in at the 2014 Aussie Open; however, it does set up an interesting dynamic, given that Murray is being coached by Lendl, and Djokovic recently added Boris Becker to his corner. For these 3 coach-player dynamic duos, we're talking about 45 majors....that's about 1/3 of all major titles won in the past 30 years...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sydney and Brisbane winding down. 4 more days till the open. Man I wish I could go to an Auusie open.

Tennis season 2014 is finally starting!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aussie open and the US open are my favorite 2 majors

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
almost there

for those with directv, they already have channels 701-707 set up for aussie open coverage :)