• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The US Open 2014 thread

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything and everything about the USO, just post. I want to start by Fed's incredibly lucky draw. Nadal is not playing, Nole on other side, Tsonga (who beat Fed recently) is in Noke's side, and so is Murray, and Fed gets his (and everyone's) SF stooge Ferrer. Can I start dancing with joy? I know on a given day Fed can lose to anyone ( especially named Nishikori, btw whose side of the draw is that kid in), but if you are Fed you have to be licking your chops. GO Fedster!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Dimitrov is the dangerman in Fed's side, Gasquet I think is done being dangerous. It all depends on how Fed is feeling with his serve. He needs to employ same strategy as he did in Wimbledon Toronto and Cincy. Love the change in equipment ( and coach ). Hope the final is still on a monday.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regd the women I think Serena should win. No Klijsters or Henin around. It's the one two punch game of Pete Sampras in her game still. I think she can't get into longer rallies where lack of fitness can be exploited. Both USO, fast hard courts and Wimby are surfaces for players who excel in the one two punch game and tend to dictate play and overpower the opponents.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Federer needs to conserve energy in the early rounds and get done with the least time spent on court do he can push for the title if he is in the late rounds. If not of if he runs into someone's hot and peak form, it's not gonna happen regardless of the draw, I can't forget how he lost to Boredo last year. Even though his back is healed and equipment wise he doesn't have the disadvantage anymore he still seems vulnerable at times and seems out of it ( has lapses in sets ). His BP conversion rate has improved but only marginally.

The biggest boost is his health, second is Edberg in his corner and third is his new larger headsize racquet.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope Isner is able to make it to the 4th round match-up with Novak....That can easily be a 4 or 5 set match

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Federer needs to conserve energy in the early rounds and get done with the least time spent on court do he can push for the title if he is in the late rounds. If not of if he runs into someone's hot and peak form, it's not gonna happen regardless of the draw, I can't forget how he lost to Boredo last year. Even though his back is healed and equipment wise he doesn't have the disadvantage anymore he still seems vulnerable at times and seems out of it ( has lapses in sets ). His BP conversion rate has improved but only marginally.

The biggest boost is his health, second is Edberg in his corner and third is his new larger headsize racquet.

I think the only chance he has at another major are at Roland Garros or Wimbledon. It's been a long season and the surface is taxing so I just don't see him making a run at it.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the US open denied Roddick & Fish a WC entry for doubles.....

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regd the women I think Serena should win. No Klijsters or Henin around. It's the one two punch game of Pete Sampras in her game still. I think she can't get into longer rallies where lack of fitness can be exploited. Both USO, fast hard courts and Wimby are surfaces for players who excel in the one two punch game and tend to dictate play and overpower the opponents.

You are not serious. You talk as if you have no idea about tennis and that Serena was not beating Clijsters long before Clijsters ever beat her or Henin. Who do you think stampeded Justine Henin to retirement? Serena was the one who shellacked her to retirement in case you are not old enough to remember.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only chance he has at another major are at Roland Garros or Wimbledon. It's been a long season and the surface is taxing so I just don't see him making a run at it.

I know the hard courts are the most taxing on the body but consider this....

1.This is Fed's very familiar backyard (US HARDCOURTS he has thrived on for years and the crowd loves him)
2. No Nadal
3. The surface is fast and suits his game if he can finish off his service games quick and only get in baseline rallies on his opponents service games.
4. He has great form currently and only confidence from last two HC outings
5. He has one of the easiest ( if not the easiest) draws of his career.
6. The final is on a Monday ( if I am correct ), so even if he has a taxing semis which I doubt, he should be ready for the final.

Regd FRENCH OPEN: Federer can do well but against any other guy not named Nadal or someone who can overpower him. FO requires more stamina and endurance from the baseline because it is harder to create opportunities on this surface with high bounce there to attack and come to the net.

Regd Wimby: Wimbledon has essentially become a second clay court like slam esp. in the second week when the slow grass is gone with uneven bounce. Again more baseline rallies can wear an aging player like Fed. That leaves only USO AND AUSSIE open and the Australian is a slower hard court not suiting Fed's style.

The surface that is best for Fed is a low bounce fast court because the higher the bounce is the more powerful your strokes have to be to overcome the height and the topspin that can be generated on it. Fed is not the most strongest or the tallest out there to compensate for this extra factor.

So to summarize, I think the USO will be the last possible slam winning ground for Fed. If the Wimby grass was pre 2000 grass I would have agreed with you that Wimby could be one of his last shots for a slam. It was faster back then, but now it is Na-dulled and slow.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not serious. You talk as if you have no idea about tennis and that Serena was not beating Clijsters long before Clijsters ever beat her or Henin. Who do you think stampeded Justine Henin to retirement? Serena was the one who shellacked her to retirement in case you are not old enough to remember.

Welcome Shell Gasoline! Btw I am old enough to remember Graf's dominance in the women's game. :yahoo:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Shell Gasoline! Btw I am old enough to remember Graf's dominance in the women's game. :yahoo:

I am actually old enough to remember when it was Margaret Court :lol:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero American guys made it out of qualifying.
:L

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm disappointed in myself. I should have looked for tickets earlier. Now ticketmaster ground passes are gone for next sunday or monday (3rd round/round of 16) and stubhub are overcharging

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Labor day weekend is almost impossible to get tickets late. Maybe the night sessions if you are lucky.

Not going this year myself. Too many things to take care of this year. Don't want to spend the extra money. Last year was fun though. I think I might actually take a break for a while and wait until all the new construction is done.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm disappointed in myself. I should have looked for tickets earlier. Now ticketmaster ground passes are gone for next sunday or monday (3rd round/round of 16) and stubhub are overcharging

I have heard that you can get tickets from the grounds outside the stadium and they don't overcharge. I think if you get tickets for Louis Armstrong then you have access to multiple courts.