• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Trey Burke Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keyword there is yet. I won't bet anything or say that he would be great, but there will be something more, not just stats-wise.

I hope so. Or else, after a certain point, just move Hayward there.

As I mentioned about Burke though, I've seen plenty of other young PGs on bad teams get more assists than Burke has.

Hayward reminds me of Turkoglu. Inconsistent shot, really better as a passer and rebounder than scorer.

I remember during the 2009 playoffs, if you look at the sum of the home and road games, Turkoglu scored 120+ more points in road games, then home games. That's the kind of inconsistency he had.

I also remember Turkoglu was a beast in this game. 20 points, 13 rebounds.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200205130SAC.html

Watching John Wall today, the way Wall drives and uses screens, is something I rarely see from Burke.

Still, Wall hasn't played well enough for me to love him. Only like him in small bursts.

Conley Jr. , Andre Miller, and Tony Parker are still probably my favorite PGs in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, watching Nene and Gortat, they have more skills than Favors and Kanter.

Favors and Kanter might be good at 1 or 2 things, but Nene and Gortat can do 4-6 things.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. Or else, after a certain point, just move Hayward there.

As I mentioned about Burke though, I've seen plenty of other young PGs on bad teams get more assists than Burke has.

it doesn't matter. He isn't them and they aren't him. There's improvement to be had and that may be good enough if he works hard. I just hope he keeps the mindset of distributing the ball (at getting better at it) and not focus on scoring more. Shooting better should handle that. Being a better assist man will open things up for his shot, if he shoots better (not looking for good/great, just sufficient). So focus on running the offense. Try to be the assist man. May fall short, but try to do it. Dying breed? Alas, not expecting it, but pleeeeease have the mindset. I'm going to twitter him and I don't tweet. Assist, man!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it doesn't matter. He isn't them and they aren't him. There's improvement to be had and that may be good enough if he works hard. I just hope he keeps the mindset of distributing the ball (at getting better at it) and not focus on scoring more. Shooting better should handle that. Being a better assist man will open things up for his shot, if he shoots better (not looking for good/great, just sufficient). So focus on running the offense. Try to be the assist man. May fall short, but try to do it. Dying breed? Alas, not expecting it, but pleeeeease have the mindset. I'm going to twitter him and I don't tweet. Assist, man!

I don't think he has the mindset to score. I just don't think he creates those assist opportunities on his drives, or use of screens. Yet.

Stats such as Usage Rate or FGA show he doesn't shoot much.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know... Guilt by association, but please don't do something stupid, get accused of doing something illegal, get in a fight, or anything else. Overall unlikely, but I wouldn't be overly shocked. Cousins hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt and there are other cool people to hang out with and gain influence. Nothing to do with race, just Cousins' history and athlete's offseason exploits.

http://jazzfanatical.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/10453704_650549951700136_752307079_n.jpg

10453704_650549951700136_752307079_n.jpg

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins and Davis haven't done anything illegal in their careers.

As far as fights:

* There's this with Rondo from February 2011. This was not a fight, and it was 3 years ago.

[youtube]f-wbrYhdHxg[/youtube]

* There's this with Donte Green from February 2011. This was a fight, but I'll say it was 3 years ago.

DeMarcus Cousins Suspended After Reported Fisticuffs With Donte Greene - Sactown Royalty

* There's this "punch" to Beverely.

Dirty play, probably, but a lot of players do this.

Stockton and Malone would do this, and I liked it. Malone with his elbows.

During the last Stockton-Payton game with Payton as a Super Sonic, Stockton tried to shove Payton out of bounds when the ref wasn't looking. He was disappointed he was caught for the foul.

He also elbowed Payton (inadvertently I think) in the Adam's Apple. Payton went crashing to the ground.

What always has bothered me was that the refs just stopped play, and let the medical staff try and bring Payton back up from the floor.

They didn't require the Super Sonics to take a medical timeout.

They didn't even call a foul, should have been a Jazz loose ball foul.

* Cousins grabbed O.J. Mayo by the balls in December 2012. He was given a technical.

Cousins does get a lot of technicals, but so do Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler, Jerry Sloan, Kobe Bryant, Joakim Noah, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Deron Williams, etc.

To say that Cousins gets in fights, that's a stretch. Other than the fight with Donte Greene, there other 2-3 incidents have been extra motion on individual plays. For example, the Beverly incident should have been a flagrant foul 1, that's about it.

No foul was called at the time, but the league suspended him afterward.

So in 4 years, that's 1 fight, and a few flagrants and technicals.

You know who got into fights? Reggie Miller. He got into fights with Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant.

THIS is a fight:

And the Pacers in general were always involved in fights in the 90s.

Charles Barkley also got into fights.

Shaq would get into fights.

What Cousins has done so far, is 1 fight, and the rest are a few technicals and flagrants. Now I agree he needs to treat the refs better and stop complaining to them.

And hey, he's had it done against him too. Such as this Chalmers flagrant foul on Cousins:

Just because Burke is with someone who gets technicals on the court, it doesn't mean Burke will also start getting technicals. Even if he were with someone who got into fights, it wouldn't mean Burke would then start getting into fights.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these lack context and it feels like refs miss it when others either instigate or retaliate, but I have a pretty high standard of who I want my players to hang out with or what they should do on or off the court.

I wouldn't ban them from games or from doing what they want if I were coach. I would just prefer they stay out of associations. Players are targets, they often are at the wrong place at the wrong time (you don't control the time, just the place), people make shit up, women try to dig for gold or accuse r*pe, guns go off, drugs are done around you, fights that have nothing to do with you happen at clubs or home parties, and for what? Even if you are innocent, I say keep your head out if these things.

Business, not moral reasons. It's no fun for some, but works. It's like abstinence, no fun but it works. Not that I practice nor preach abstinence. I've been to a club before, but I'd have skipped it if I were famous. I could buy whatever perks I would get. I'd get attention and notoriety for whatever I did to be famous. Yes, boring, but ask Kobe if he wishes he called it a night before the girl came to his hotel room. Ask Pacman. Ask Ray Lewis. Ask Roethlisberger.

Not saying that Burke or Cousins were at a club. Again, the following is slanted and there are unfair things in the videos, but would you be surprised if something stupid happened with Cousins? Not saying it is probable, just that there are a lot of cool people to hang out with.

Having said that, I'm not mad at Burke or Cousins, just paranoid and really don't want stupid stuff. Burke could have stupid things all by himself. With Stockton? With Malone? With Favors? With his high school friend? With college buddies? Etc. Maybe unfair to Cousins, but he's like the guy my daughter will come back with for prom. Stay away from my daughter! I don't care if you are valedictorian! Not that Burke is like a daughter or son to me.

How Many Second Chances Does DeMarcus Cousins Deserve? | Bleacher Report

DeMarcus Cousins: Suspension Won't Straighten out Troubled Kings Center | Bleacher Report

Troubled but talented DeMarcus Cousins to receive contract extension from Sacramento Kings soon | Crossover Chronicles

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malone = the mal one. Mal is bad in Spanish never hang out with the bad one, hang out with one with a ton of stock.

Don't kill me, Nuraman. Cheesy is a social, not legal, crime.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of these lack context and it feels like refs miss it when others either instigate or retaliate, but I have a pretty high standard of who I want my players to hang out with or what they should do on or off the court.

I wouldn't ban them from games or from doing what they want if I were coach. I would just prefer they stay out of associations. Players are targets, they often are at the wrong place at the wrong time (you don't control the time, just the place), people make shit up, women try to dig for gold or accuse r*pe, guns go off, drugs are done around you, fights that have nothing to do with you happen at clubs or home parties, and for what? Even if you are innocent, I say keep your head out if these things.

Business, not moral reasons. It's no fun for some, but works. It's like abstinence, no fun but it works. Not that I practice nor preach abstinence. I've been to a club before, but I'd have skipped it if I were famous. I could buy whatever perks I would get. I'd get attention and notoriety for whatever I did to be famous. Yes, boring, but ask Kobe if he wishes he called it a night before the girl came to his hotel room. Ask Pacman. Ask Ray Lewis. Ask Roethlisberger.

Not saying that Burke or Cousins were at a club. Again, the following is slanted and there are unfair things in the videos, but would you be surprised if something stupid happened with Cousins? Not saying it is probable, just that there are a lot of cool people to hang out with.

Having said that, I'm not mad at Burke or Cousins, just paranoid and really don't want stupid stuff. Burke could have stupid things all by himself. With Stockton? With Malone? With Favors? With his high school friend? With college buddies? Etc. Maybe unfair to Cousins, but he's like the guy my daughter will come back with for prom. Stay away from my daughter! I don't care if you are valedictorian! Not that Burke is like a daughter or son to me.

How Many Second Chances Does DeMarcus Cousins Deserve? | Bleacher Report

DeMarcus Cousins: Suspension Won't Straighten out Troubled Kings Center | Bleacher Report

Troubled but talented DeMarcus Cousins to receive contract extension from Sacramento Kings soon | Crossover Chronicles

What I see is on the court quick dust-ups with players that lead to flagrant or technical fouls.

I see someone who lets things get to him on the court while in the middle of a game. Things like fouls, uncalled fouls, etc.

But it's stopped at flagrant and technical fouls. It hasn't escalated into fights (other than an off-court one with Donte Greene)

These aren't even fights.

It's not that different from other emotional players that get caught up in things on the court.

Shaq and Barkley would do way worse, and actually get into fights.

Stockton and Malone would do some dirty plays themselves.

Off the court, Cousins has never been in trouble for partying too much, or clubbing too much, etc. Things are quiet for him off the court.

He's been a father since 2012.

Off the court, you wouldn't want Burke and Davis to hang out with Cousins, when he's doing these less reported activities?

DeMarcus Cousins feeds families, dresses as Santa in REALDMC Episode 3 - A Royal Pain - A Sacramento Kings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

Here he is after signing his contract extension, donating toward local charities.

Y! SPORTS

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why you focused on fights so much. I wouldn't have liked him hanging out with the Bird Man and he's clean on and off the court.

As far as the charities, that's great, but that's why I said there are other cool guys to hang out with. Most players in the league don't get in trouble off the field. He's one of them. I just don't trust that something stupid won't bring Burke into a headline - even if it's not his or Cousins fault.

It's a preference, an opinion I have. I don't have piles of evidence. It's a feeling.

As said, I wouldn't stop him or even talk to him about it (outside of the general rookie symposium to everyone) if I were coach.

Kaepernick didn't do anything wrong, but his took weeks to resolve and the coach said this: Jim Harbaugh gives San Francisco 49ers a pointed message after minicamp ends - ESPN

Aldon Smith of the Niners was stabbed when he was reportedly breaking up a fight at a house party at his place. The conclusion was that he shouldn't have been there or thrown the party to those he didn't know of could have known to be rowdy.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a preference, an opinion I have. I don't have piles of evidence. It's a feeling.

As said, I wouldn't stop him or even talk to him about it (outside of the general rookie symposium to everyone) if I were coach.

Ok, thanks.

I think Cousins gets in trouble on the court (letting incidents on the court get to him and making him lose focus), but not off the court.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ The bad part of social media. :L

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid shot horrible bad in summer league this year again. I'm dubious of Trey. I hope like heck he can figure out how to shoot straight by December. If he can't, then he has no business continuing as our starter. He's also got to figure out how to get to the ft line.