• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Trey Burke Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MHSL82, can you bump your post again of why you like Burke over Carter-Williams? I think you called him MCW in the post I'm thinking of. You gave a reason as to why you don't care how Carter-Williams does. It was a long post, not a short one.

And then can you put it in the The "Where the Hell Do I Post This?" Thread, so I can find it the next time I want to re-read it?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the breakdown for Trey Burke:

In the first 13 games, he shot 48/150 (32.0%) with one 5/9 game.
In the next 5 games, he shot 29/55 (52.7%) with one 1/6 game.
In the next 11 games, he shot 47/135 (34.8%) with one 5/9 game.

Here is the cherry picking of Dante Exum

In the first 7 games, he shot 16/33 (48.5%) with one 1/5 and 1/4 games in there.
In the next 3 games, he shot 3/13 (23.1%).
In the next 2 games, he shot 5/9 (55.6%).
In the next 10 games, he shot 10/38 (26.3%).
In the next 5 games, he shot 13/20 (65.0%).
In the last 2 games, he shot 4/10 (40.0%) with the last being 2/3.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, you know I'm a patient guy and that I've been a Burke supporter, but damnit, Trey.

Trey has 35 shots and 1 assist in the last two games (63 minutes of play)... He now has more shots attempted than points scored, and that fucking includes free throws.

Going to the bench is going to do us no good if the bench is as lousy with him as the starting lineup was with him (relatively speaking compared to other benches, as I know starters > bench). Injuries have hurt, as the bench players are now starters.

Now going to the bench will help us when Dante figures it out and beefs up, etc., but even short-term, this should have helped, as Burke should improve the bench as Exum should be the same as a can't-shoot can't-assist Burke did in the lineup.

Assists are hard to come by in our system when it comes to ONE guy, but if you can't assist, make your shots or don't take them. At this rate anyway. I believe in natural shots, take it in the offense, but at what point does a shot not become natural if you naturally miss 2/3rds of your shots? OK, exaggeration.

I want my PG to either be good at shooting or be like Stockton and pick his shots - and Stockton was great at shooting to boot. Not fair expectation, but I'm only talking about shot selection and making the easy ones. Distribute the ball! Get others shots. It's hard to do, but is it really hard for that to be your goal? Taking so many shots is not indicative of trying to RUN the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he needs a Coach B and Coach Alexander pep talk.

Trey will always take an obscene amount of shots. I don't follow the Jazz but who exactly does Trey have to dish the ball to and is anyone helping to create space for open looks? Even give him a lane and he can take it all the way. He's quick enough, with good enough handles to penetrate more often than naught but he's not an Allen Iverson type...

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's ruining my fantasy team. Would probably trade him and Kanter if I were the Jazz GM.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he needs a Coach B and Coach Alexander pep talk.

Trey will always take an obscene amount of shots. I don't follow the Jazz but who exactly does Trey have to dish the ball to and is anyone helping to create space for open looks? Even give him a lane and he can take it all the way. He's quick enough, with good enough handles to penetrate more often than naught but he's not an Allen Iverson type...

I will say, he's clutch and a humble/modest person. I didn't see him pounding his chest or doing the balls dance when he hit the game winner this year. I didn't see him pout or show frustration when he went to the bench, but know he took it seriously and has pride. So, I do like him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured it out, Trey is not Williams, a PG, he's Kobe, a... a... a shooter. They shot a similar percentage this year. Though he's done a better job in this last third of the season with taking fewer and making more (I think, haven't researched it, yet). (Yes, I posted this last year.)

Kobe comment on Williams playoffs performance vs Miami
"In a feature with Sports Illustrated over the summer, Bryant referenced Deron Williams's 0-9 game against the Miami Heat in Game 2 of the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, the worst shooting performance of Williams's career. Bryant said Williams, who dealt with ankle injuries all of last season, "psyched himself out". "‘I would go 0-30 before I would go 0-9," Bryant said. "0-9 means you beat yourself, you psyched yourself out of the game, because Deron Williams can get more shots in the game. The only reason is because you've just now lost confidence in yourself.’"
Williams response"
"I'm a point guard," Williams said about adopting Bryant's mentality. "If I'm 0-for-fucking-9, I'm not shooting 20 more shots. Not going to happen. I'm a point guard. I'm going to find somebody else. Kobe Bryant, that's what he's supposed to do. He's got that mentality. That works for him, I got my mentality, it works for me."

Bravo, Deron.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey has only shot 21 shots in the Jazz's last 4 games. Pretty good. He's also shot 42.9% from the field. Pretty good for him. I mean, he only played 2 of those 4 games, but still...

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured it out, Trey is not Williams, a PG, he's Kobe, a... a... a shooter. They shot a similar percentage this year. Though he's done a better job in this last third of the season with taking fewer and making more (I think, haven't researched it, yet). (Yes, I posted this last year.)

Kobe comment on Williams playoffs performance vs Miami
"In a feature with Sports Illustrated over the summer, Bryant referenced Deron Williams's 0-9 game against the Miami Heat in Game 2 of the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, the worst shooting performance of Williams's career. Bryant said Williams, who dealt with ankle injuries all of last season, "psyched himself out". "‘I would go 0-30 before I would go 0-9," Bryant said. "0-9 means you beat yourself, you psyched yourself out of the game, because Deron Williams can get more shots in the game. The only reason is because you've just now lost confidence in yourself.’"
Williams response"
"I'm a point guard," Williams said about adopting Bryant's mentality. "If I'm 0-for-fucking-9, I'm not shooting 20 more shots. Not going to happen. I'm a point guard. I'm going to find somebody else. Kobe Bryant, that's what he's supposed to do. He's got that mentality. That works for him, I got my mentality, it works for me."

Bravo, Deron.

So why did you bring up Burke?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey has only shot 21 shots in the Jazz's last 4 games. Pretty good. He's also shot 42.9% from the field. Pretty good for him. I mean, he only played 2 of those 4 games, but still...

More cherry popping stats I see.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why did you bring up Burke?
Burke shot 2-19, 4-22, and one other game around 1-19 or something. He's not a guy to pass when his shot is off, and that's most games. I like my PG being and saying he's a PG.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burke shot 2-19, 4-22, and one other game around 1-19 or something. He's not a guy to pass when his shot is off, and that's most games. I like my PG being and saying he's a PG.

Thanks. I didn't know he had those FGA totals in some games.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuraman will know, but I want a PG who is like a QB - field general. In the last three games I've watched, he's done this. We do swing the ball a lot compared to the Stockton days, but I SEE PLAYERS LOOKING TO GET HIM THE BALL!

A possible explanation on why the ball is swung more, in today's NBA:

+++++++++++

We Interrupt This Eulogy for the NBA Post-Up Game to Bring You Its Rebirth

Multiple front-office gurus have whispered that post passing might become the NBA’s next great undervalued skill, even as the league appears to veer away from post-ups. “The thing I am sold on completely,” Karl says, “is that today, you need as much passing on the court as possible.” If Tom Thibodeau–style defenses can strangle one side of the floor, offenses have to swing the ball until they find something good.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burke was a 90.3% FT shooter on 113 FT attempts, his rookie year.

I guess that wasn't a big enough sample size. In 145 attempts the next year, he shot 75.2%.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tue, Oct 27

Utah head coach Quin Snyder has still not decided who will start on opening night for the Jazz.

Advice: Rudy Gobert, Derrick Favors, Alec Burks and Gordon Hayward are all expected to be in the starting lineup for Wednesday's game against the Pistons, but who gets the nod for the starting point guard position in Utah remains a bit of a mystery. Trey Burke did have himself a productive preseason, averaging 15.3 points, 1.7 three-pointers and 1.3 steals per contest, but the 2.5 assists per game illustrates the issue here as he's not a guy that particularly looking to get his teammates involved. Raul Neto on the other hand is a pass-first point guard, so there's a chance Snyder leans his way, so Burke can keep with his trigger happy ways off the bench as the team's sixth man. All will be revealed on Wednesday, but Burke is the better point guard to own out of the two starting candidates in Utah.

More: Andy Larson on Twitter

(Rotoworld.com)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz gave up 2 first round picks for Burke, and he's off the team now.

2013 Draft Day Trade Tracker

One of their original picks, Dieng, would have been a nice rotational player to still have had.