• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL The Patriots starting QB in week 1 of the 2018 season will be...

The Patriots starting QB in week 1 of the 2018 season will be...

• Tom Brady

• Jimmy Garoppolo

• Effing potato salad, but I'm putting eggs in it

Results are only viewable after voting.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not like we're talking mid round picks which are more akin to lottery picks at times. #1 overall picks being talked about here. So many ways that trade can go wrong and very few ways it can go right. It reeks of Matt Cassel.

Even in a small sampling, nothing about JGs game reminds me of Matt Cassell

I'm a huge believer in Jimmy, BB being a huge believer just makes me feel stronger about it

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in a small sampling, nothing about JGs game reminds me of Matt Cassell

I'm a huge believer in Jimmy, BB being a huge believer just makes me feel stronger about it
As someone who still to this day sees people claim Cassel looked good in NE, I don't believe any hearsay about NE backups. Hard and steady rule.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if he is less risky on the field which is pretty plausible, the biggest window most teams are going to have is actually with a QB on a rookie contract. Think about what Oakland looks like if Carr (or Mack and Cooper for that matter) all get top contracts for their positions? Seattle before the Wilson deal?

I keep telling Raiders fans they got a 2-year window to win the Super Bowl then things get very very difficult after that. Aaron Rodgers is a great showing of what happens when a QB is taking up a huge part of the cap. Yes the team is still competitive and most years makes the playoffs. The issue is they don't have the all around depth and talent to fully compete for actual Super Bowls.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who still to this day sees people claim Cassel looked good in NE, I don't believe any hearsay about NE backups. Hard and steady rule.

Agreed. Why teams continue to trade with the Patriots I have no idea. Rarely ever do we see it work in the favor fo the team trading.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are so many issues with this.

1) Jimmy G. only has 1 year left on his rookie deal. So big money is getting ready to come his way even if he plays average.

2) As a team you just gave away a possible cornerstone piece that was on a 4-year relatively cheap deal compared to what the production could be. To me both Jimmy G and Garrett are both unknowns. One costs the team a whole heck of a lot less.

3) While this wasn't the best QB class by any means a rookie QB is cheap and a team can surround them with lots of talent. Beyond Manning and Brady there are not really any other QB's winning beyond their rookie contract because teams just can't surround their QB with enough talent because of the bloated QB contracts.

4) I think things worked out pretty well for the Browns in the sense of next year's QB class does really look good. Yes that is said many of years but there are some guys that are showing much more than what this QB class ever did. The Browns now have 2 1st round picks to go make something happen to get their guy and still have a very young roster around that QB to build with.

I think where I differ with you guys is how we view the particular player

Assuming the Browns work out the details of an extension

Do you not agree a QB you view as a guy that can change the fortunes of your franchise is worth the #1 pick in a QB weak draft?

I just happen to believe JG is a franchise QB

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think where I differ with you guys is how we view the particular player

Assuming the Browns work out the details of an extension

Do you not agree a QB you view as a guy that can change the fortunes of your franchise is worth the #1 pick in a QB weak draft?

If you are completely sold out on that idea then maybe. Like I said earlier how many QB's past their first contract beyond Manning and Brady have won a Super Bowl? I think the cut off for QB's is something like they cannot take up more than 12% of their team's cap. Heck Manning took a pay cut the year he won it and Brady has been working on cheaper contracts for quite some time. So even those seasons have to be handicapped a bit.

That is why the trading for Jimmy G. when you only get one discounted season before having to pay him big money makes it difficult to justify in my mind.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep telling Raiders fans they got a 2-year window to win the Super Bowl then things get very very difficult after that. Aaron Rodgers is a great showing of what happens when a QB is taking up a huge part of the cap. Yes the team is still competitive and most years makes the playoffs. The issue is they don't have the all around depth and talent to fully compete for actual Super Bowls.
While true- Reggie has a pretty strong track record drafting the past few years so I don't think they'll go to the dustbin (at least not quietly) like say the Ravens have recently. This is the biggest window they'll maybe ever have but I tend to believe they'll be around well after Carr, Mack, and Cooper get their megadeals. For that reason, I am really hoping this Mahomes thing works out, because few things are more annoying in sports than Raider bandwagons.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are completely sold out on that idea then maybe. Like I said earlier how many QB's past their first contract beyond Manning and Brady have won a Super Bowl? I think the cut off for QB's is something like they cannot take up more than 12% of their team's cap. Heck Manning took a pay cut the year he won it and Brady has been working on cheaper contracts for quite some time. So even those seasons have to be handicapped a bit.

That is why the trading for Jimmy G. when you only get one discounted season before having to pay him big money makes it difficult to justify in my mind.

I don't know if he is looking at a potential Carr deal

Is it crazy to suggest you sign him for Ossweiler money providing roster flexibility?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if he is looking at a potential Carr deal

Is it crazy to suggest you sign him for Ossweiler money providing roster flexibility?
Carr is going to smash Luck's deal I think. Raiders got zero leverage on him at all. Especially when he gets to compare to Stafford and Cousins. 25M is his floor, imo. As for Jimmy G he won't be THAT far behind. QB's have teams up against the gun.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other issue with this scenario is that a franchise QB on the Browns is still on the Browns.

You look at the career arc of Marc Bulger or even Joe Flacco and you realize that you have to surround a guy with talent or he is going to struggle. With Garappolo leaving his rookie contract, he immediately becomes an anchor on the roster if he isn't a top 15 QB.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr is going to smash Luck's deal I think. Raiders got zero leverage on him at all. Especially when he gets to compare to Stafford and Cousins. 25M is his floor, imo.

Agreed. With that said, I actually think the Browns would be getting Jimmy at a good time, he doesn't have leverage to demand a break the bank deal

So he backs up Brady in 17

What kind of contract does he look at on the open market heading into 18?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While true- Reggie has a pretty strong track record drafting the past few years so I don't think they'll go to the dustbin (at least not quietly) like say the Ravens have recently. This is the biggest window they'll maybe ever have but I tend to believe they'll be around well after Carr, Mack, and Cooper get their megadeals. For that reason, I am really hoping this Mahomes thing works out, because few things are more annoying in sports than Raider bandwagons.

I guess I will disagree some with this. His record drafting beyond Carr, Mack, and Cooper hasn't been all that great. Karl Joseph did decent as the season went on but beyond him only Washington did anything of worth this past season from that rookie class. The year before that Cooper is the only quality starter. Edwards keeps getting injured and Walford has been inconsistent at best. 2014 was his best draft by far with Mack, CArr, Jackson, and Ellis all contributing well.

I guess to me picks like Mack and Cooper were very easy picks. Both top-5 picks and both very talented players. Much easier to pick in the top-5 compared to where they will now most likely be picking bottom half of the draft. That is where I respect GM's more when they can find talent later in the 1st round and late in the draft that become contributors. If you look at the Raiders retention rate of draft picks it is actually one of the lower in the NFL. They are the worst in the AFC West by quite a wide range.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. With that said, I actually think the Browns would be getting Jimmy at a good time, he doesn't have leverage to demand a break the bank deal

Sure he does. Kirk Cousins is in position to ask for Luck money. Why wouldn't Jimmy G?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other issue with this scenario is that a franchise QB on the Browns is still on the Browns.

You look at the career arc of Marc Bulger or even Joe Flacco and you realize that you have to surround a guy with talent or he is going to struggle. With Garappolo leaving his rookie contract, he immediately becomes an anchor on the roster if he isn't a top 15 QB.

I don't see how he has the track record to cripple any franchise financially

Not on this upcoming deal at least

After another season holding a clipboard

What kind of money you think next season?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say he is still looking at a huge contract. Pats played their hand by not making the deal. They like him so good chance they are trying to sign him on a 2-year deal to keep him around. Other teams though desperate for QB (there are lots of them) will pay big time money. Think about the carryover money that some of the top teams have. 49ers, Jaguars, and Browns all needing a QB all are carrying over possibly $45-71 million for this next season. Plenty to sign a QB to a huge deal. Much more than the Pats could ever offer.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy had good season in 6 appearances last year. With nearly a 70% comp%, 90 QBR, 4 TD's and no int's. He has the build of a qb and a good head on his shoulders. I'm shocked the Pats haven't used him as trade bait but that leaves me to believe they think he's the future. I doubt it will be this season though. Brady says he will play into his mid 40's which is possible but it might not be at the level NE wants him at. I'd say Jimmy will replace Lord Brady next season at the earliest.

BOOKED

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sticking with my guns that this is Bradys last season in NE. Whats your take?

You would piss your pants if you ever held a real gun.

Brady plays for BB until his arm falls off.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say he is still looking at a huge contract. Pats played their hand by not making the deal. They like him so good chance they are trying to sign him on a 2-year deal to keep him around. Other teams though desperate for QB (there are lots of them) will pay big time money. Think about the carryover money that some of the top teams have. 49ers, Jaguars, and Browns all needing a QB all are carrying over possibly $45-71 million for this next season. Plenty to sign a QB to a huge deal. Much more than the Pats could ever offer.

Fair

I'll totally flip flop on Jimmy G if he signs on to back up Brady for another few years

I don't want a guy leading my team that chooses to hold a clipboard when starting opportunities are a plenty