• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL The Patriots starting QB in week 1 of the 2018 season will be...

The Patriots starting QB in week 1 of the 2018 season will be...

• Tom Brady

• Jimmy Garoppolo

• Effing potato salad, but I'm putting eggs in it

Results are only viewable after voting.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're comparing the rookie to the guy in his 3rd year?

I guess what Im saying is that Im not fully sold on Garappolo

Well if 108 yards passing and being shut out at home vs the Bills in 2 career starts, doesn't convince ya

I think the Pats total reluctance to deal JIMMY G tells us all we need to know about Jacoby Brisket

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're comparing the rookie to the guy in his 3rd year?

I guess what Im saying is that Im not fully sold on Garappolo
Good point, but the guy in his 3rd year hasn't done much, except carry a clipboard. Granted he has been around Brady for a couple of years.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't he retire?

The man eats avocado ice cream and talks about playing till 50

He has risked all male friendships in his life, cause guys get together and drink beers, smoke a J and shoot the shit, not eat oatmeal and drink pomegranate juice

I sincerely believe this guy has no intention of retiring in the near future, barring some catastrophic Injury

He has given absolutely no indication of retiring, quite the opposite actually

This talk has been stirred up by the Pats not trading JG

But that's BB, no one is safe from the gauntlet

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if 108 yards passing and being shut out at home vs the Bills in 2 career starts, doesn't convince ya

I think the Pats total reluctance to deal JIMMY G tells us all we need to know about Jacoby Brisket
Yeah, he basically had 1 game where he didnt have to do anything and 1 game where he stunk.
I just remember being relatively high on him coming out of college last year but he had the boom/bust project label and well...we all know that no one is going to bank on that after 2 games.

I just think that the 2018 job is Jimmy G's job to lose but he can still lose it.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or they have a 40 YO QB in which one solid and ill-placed shot from say Justin Houston week 1 could mean he's done for the year. About half of starting QB's miss at least one game iirc. Considering how aggressive the Pats are with their picks recently- I think it's just as plausible they're trying to maxout the years with the current roster Brady included. I don't think Brady will be able to wait around another 10 years for the roster to catch up to general vicinity of the offense when it comes to the SB. Hoarding their backup and possibly QBOTF doesn't seem that crazy in that context.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he basically had 1 game where he didnt have to do anything and 1 game where he stunk.
I just remember being relatively high on him coming out of college last year but he had the boom/bust project label and well...we all know that no one is going to bank on that.

I just think that the 2018 job is Jimmy G's job to lose but he can still lose it.

Honestly, their reluctance to deal JG for a reported coupe, spoke volumes to me what they think of Brisket

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or they have a 40 YO QB in which one solid and ill-placed shot from say Justin Houston week 1 could mean he's done for the year. About half of starting QB's miss at least one game iirc. Considering how aggressive the Pats are with their picks recently- I think it's just as plausible they're trying to maxout the years with the current roster Brady included. I don't think Brady will be able to wait around another 10 years for the roster to catch up to general vicinity of the offense when it comes to the SB. Hoarding their backup and possibly QBOTF doesn't seem that crazy in that context.

Again

I have an insanely hard time believing that the Pats passed up on, based on some reports, the #1 overall plus, if they view Briskett on the same level as JG

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, their reluctance to deal JG for a reported coupe, spoke volumes to me what they think of Brisket
No GM should ever base their whole team's future on a small handful of games.

I wouldn't underestimate the Pats desire to keep Jimmy G around even if he is only an average level QB. The Pats might not need a franchise QB to contend next year.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again

I have an insanely hard time believing that the Pats passed up on, based on some reports, the #1 overall plus, if they view Briskett on the same level as JG
I don't really believe that offer was legit. Just seemed like bullshit rumors. Same Browns team that despite their paranoia didn't trade up for Trubisky or Mahomes; and traded down when given the opportunity to draft Watson.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again

I'm having a hard time believing those reports but if they are true Brissett doesn't even have to be in the same area code just somehow competent for a team to take that type of draft haul. You don't get the 1st overall pick hardly ever especially with the fact that you just won a Super Bowl.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having a hard time believing those reports but if they are true Brissett doesn't even have to be in the same area code just somehow competent for a team to take that type of draft haul. You don't get the 1st overall pick hardly ever especially with the fact that you just won a Super Bowl.
Someone is going to have to explain to me how Jimmy G is a better investment for a team than any of the top 4 QB's based on the resource expenditure.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No GM should ever base their whole team's future on a small handful of games.

I wouldn't underestimate the Pats desire to keep Jimmy G around even if he is only an average level QB. The Pats might not need a franchise QB to contend next year.

You know it's not just a handful of games

It's 3 years of day to day evaluation by the games best coaching staff

I'm sure a lot has gone into them making the determination that Jimmy is a very important part of their future

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone is going to have to explain to me how Jimmy G is a better investment for a team than any of the top 4 QB's based on the resource expenditure.

I would have given the Pats the #1 in a heartbeat in that particular draft if I'm the Browns

No QB in that draft even had a Round one grade

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no idea either. Any team offering anything remotely close to that kind of deal would be an idiot. He only has one more cheap year left so you only get one year to evaluate the player before having to possibly hand him a huge contract even if he only plays average. There is very little room for that whole thing to work out well for the team trading for him and lots of possibilities of how it works out wonderfully for the Pats. Glad nothing came of that.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have given the Pats the #1 in a heartbeat in that particular draft if I'm the Browns

No way. I would have taken any of the top 4 QB's in the last draft rounds 1-4 before Jimmy G. Even if they suck there's next year's draft. This how Matt Cassels happen.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know it's not just a handful of games

It's 3 years of day to day evaluation by the games best coaching staff

I'm sure a lot has gone into them making the determination that Jimmy is a very important part of their future
Oh I was talking about JB.

Garappolo's draft haul is mostly irrelevant because if he is a franchise QB then he is untradable in the eyes of a smart team like the Patriots. This is doubly true when the top prospect this year was a pass rusher which the Patriots dont seem to value at all.

It very well could be a sign that he is the future. I think the Patriots want Jimmy G to be their QB in 2018 no doubt. I'm just not sold on their ability to nail the franchise QB position after whiffing on Cassel (relative) and Mallett.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea either. Any team offering anything remotely close to that kind of deal would be an idiot. He only has one more cheap year left so you only get one year to evaluate the player before having to possibly hand him a huge contract even if he only plays average. There is very little room for that whole thing to work out well for the team trading for him and lots of possibilities of how it works out wonderfully for the Pats. Glad nothing came of that.
Not like we're talking mid round picks which are more akin to lottery picks at times. #1 overall picks being talked about here. So many ways that trade can go wrong and very few ways it can go right. It reeks of Matt Cassel.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO

He's less of a risk that any player in that draft, and the cost of a franchise QB is worth a lot more than any player you are drafting #1 overall

Exceptions being the Peyton or Luck type draft years

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are so many issues with this.

1) Jimmy G. only has 1 year left on his rookie deal. So big money is getting ready to come his way even if he plays average.

2) As a team you just gave away a possible cornerstone piece that was on a 4-year relatively cheap deal compared to what the production could be. To me both Jimmy G and Garrett are both unknowns. One costs the team a whole heck of a lot less.

3) While this wasn't the best QB class by any means a rookie QB is cheap and a team can surround them with lots of talent. Beyond Manning and Brady there are not really any other QB's winning beyond their rookie contract because teams just can't surround their QB with enough talent because of the bloated QB contracts.

4) I think things worked out pretty well for the Browns in the sense of next year's QB class does really look good. Yes that is said many of years but there are some guys that are showing much more than what this QB class ever did. The Browns now have 2 1st round picks to go make something happen to get their guy and still have a very young roster around that QB to build with.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO

He's less of a risk that any player in that draft, and the cost of a franchise QB is worth a lot more than any player you are drafting #1 overall

Exceptions being the Peyton or Luck type draft years
Even if he is less risky on the field which is pretty plausible, the biggest window most teams are going to have is actually with a QB on a rookie contract. Think about what Oakland looks like if Carr (or Mack and Cooper for that matter) all get top contracts for their positions? Seattle before the Wilson deal?