• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last sentence is correct. Petersen does coach them up and yes Mora has done less with more than most D1 coaches. If Petersen had the recruiting rankings that UCLA has had I could see Washington blowing the doors out of just about everyone.

Still remains to be seen . Yes at Boise St he did more with less but with the team he has this year which is much much more talented (lots of 4*) then he should blow away anything he did at Boise. But he wont because at Boise he didnt play Oregon, Stanford and maybe USC every season before his bowl game. So far he's done great but if he doesnt win the PAC with what he has then he's a good coach but you'll have to slow down with the Lets see what he can do with better talent talk.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still remains to be seen . Yes at Boise St he did more with less but with the team he has this year which is much much more talented (lots of 4*) then he should blow away anything he did at Boise. But he wont because at Boise he didnt play Oregon, Stanford and maybe USC every season before his bowl game. So far he's done great but if he doesnt win the PAC with what he has then he's a good coach but you'll have to slow down with the Lets see what he can do with better talent talk.
The fact remains that UCLA has kicked Washington's ass in recruiting for the past decade yet they have no conference titles to show for it. Last season was a disaster and if UCLA doesn't get over the hump this season then Mora is most likely headed out the door. He's proven to be a less than stellar HC.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact remains that UCLA has kicked Washington's ass in recruiting for the past decade yet they have no conference titles. Last season was a disaster and if UCLA doesn't get over the hump this season then Mora is most likely headed out the door. He's proven to be a less than stellar HC.

Cant argue with that. I think hes a terrible coach

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my opinion. I think UCLA gets more talent than the majority of PAC teams except USC and Washington (latly)and Stanford. Oregon has been an outliar by getting specific types of players but thats a whole different argument. The problem with the Bruins is they have the talent spread out . It's one great RB and nothing behind him a WR or a TE and maybe one great O lineman a decent one and then the rest who arent that good. The same for defense. One great Lineman a great Linebacker and maybe a really good saftey and then the rest arent good or just don't play up to their potential. You can have a great offense and so so defense (Colorado)and stay in games (most of the time) you can have a good defense and average offense (Utah) and stay in games but if your talent is so spread out it doesn't make one unit dominant then your Fkd. You're better off with lower rated players who stay together and jell. But UCLA loses a lot to the NFL every year.
And then theres Mora. I think he had his chance and now isn't putting his best effort. He's run off so many assistants I think his staff is full of people coaching for themselves not for Mora. He just comes across as an assshole
Well this is so damned close to what I was thinking I'll just go ahead and post my thoughts now.

I pretty much agree with what you are saying regarding depth, and I think Wiz touching on injuries was spot on and when combined to what you just pointed out, it's an exponentially root cause, but still there is more.

Now as many here know, I'm definitely not a Mora fan, but I'm not a big hater either. I don't think he runs off Assistants but none the less the turnover is a huge contributor, when considering the depth, and key injuries over the last 3 seasons. UCLA has done a decent job paying Mora competitively however with the Assistance they just can't keep up with the Private Schools and thus the attrition is just going to be higher for real talent as opposed to keeping them long term (Especially considering the cost of living in the Westwood area) and with the attention these guys from coaching as a P5 Assistant in LA they are going to get their names out there.

Anyway, that's just my take, and I hope the new OC Fisch not only gets the offense back on track, but stays awhile. (Just not real confident on that, because he sure has bounced around a lot) As for Bradley, he's sort of the opposite, so I think he is there for the long haul or as long a Mora remains the HC at UCLA.

BTW - I agree with your last sentence Jim, 100%!

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad Art Briles is on everyone's shit list because I think he'd kill it at UCLA. He has ties to Texas recruiting and the LA area is loaded with talent.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh, like all of us, he has his balance sheet.

Mora has brought in some important contributions as opposed to his predecessors, such as improved recruiting, a winning record vs the crosstown rival, a true toughness, and getting key guys not only ready for the NFL, but drafted higher in the NFL under his tutelage.

On the other hand, too many stupid penalties, assistant coaching attrition, sketchy in game adjustments at times, and key injuries have greatly impacted the team ability to compete for a Conference title.

Hopefully for Bruins fans, last season was the outlier, and he gets the team back to competing for the conference title, and back to the form he had them in over his first 3 seasons where he amassed a 29-11 record.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly Petersen has shown what coaching up means. By default that also shows what teams like UCLA and ASU haven't been able to do with the talent they have.

It's always about more than the one guy who's name is on the staff. It's a team of coaches doing the real work carrying out that guys vision. Whether Mora runs off his staff talent, they leave because of lower pay, or it is a problem with the vision and message, the buck still stops right there at his desk.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh, like all of us, he has his balance sheet.

Mora has brought in some important contributions as opposed to his predecessors, such as improved recruiting, toughness and getting key guys not only ready for the NFL, but drafted higher in the NFL under his tutelage.

On the other hand, too many stupid penalties, assistant coaching attrition, in game adjustments, and key injuries have greatly impacted the team ability to compete for a Conference title.

Hopefully for Bruins fans, last season was the outlier, and he gets the team back to competing for the conference title, and back to the form he had them in over his first 3 seasons where he amassed a 29-11 record.

Getting highly ranked players into the NFL is good but its not what he's there to do . He's there to put together a winning team and he never has the team going on all cylinders. He gets a corvette but it's on six cylinders and gets passed by a ford truck.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact remains that UCLA has kicked Washington's ass in recruiting for the past decade yet they have no conference titles to show for it.
Just fucking stop already, you are just repeating something you just posted!

Congrats, UDubb won the Conference title last year, and Washington had a very good year too boot, but the competition just wasn't the same in the PAC as opposed to the years UCLA was in the mix.

I'm not sure last years Dawgs even take the North if they had to compete against those Marriota and Luck led teams.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not shitting the bed when one team is garbage. WSU without a quarterback equals Oregon State.
You must be talking about that one Apple Cup from a few years ago when Falk was hurt. That still doesn't take away the fact WSU has lost four in a row to UW. Not knocking WSU though ... like I posted earlier today in this thread, Leach does more with less than just about any coach in D1 football.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just fucking stop already, you are just repeating something you just posted!

Congrats, UDubb won the Conference title last year, and Washington had a very good year too boot, but the competition just wasn't the same in the PAC as opposed to the years UCLA was in the mix.

I'm not sure last years Dawgs even take the North if they had to compete against those Marriota and Luck led teams.
I'd bet my left nut that Petersen would win the PAC with UCLA's talent and I'd also bet my left nut that Petersen wouldn't go 4 - 8 if he lost Browning.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think that is?

Just wondering what others think the root cause for UCLA, I have my thoughts, and I'll share them after hearing from you and some others if you all care to respond.

I'm starting to think Mora is the issue. I know you guys have had some injuries, but you have enough talent to be able to overcome them with good coaching.

How many OC's have you guys gone through under him? 3? 4? No one gets a chance to establish an offensive identity.

Mora seems like a solid coach, but maybe he just isn't good at hiring assistants?

It's also interesting that he actually performed better with Neuheisel's recruits than he has with his own.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must be talking about that one Apple Cup from a few years ago when Falk was hurt. That still doesn't take away the fact WSU has lost four in a row to UW. Not knocking WSU though ... like I posted earlier today in this thread, Leach does more with less than just about any coach in D1 football.

I understand you're slow and all so let's do a math lesson, Falk is going into his senior season, or in your terms going into his 4th year of playing football at Washington State. He has been eligible to play in 3 AC's and was hurt for one. So far we have 3 minus 1..do you follow? 3 minus 1 equals? Come on now, I'm sure you can come up with answer of how many times we have shit the bed against the Mutts under Mike Leach.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand you're slow and all so let's do a math lesson, Falk is going into his senior season, or in your terms going into his 4th year of playing football at Washington State. He has been eligible to play in 3 AC's and was hurt for one. So far we have 3 minus 1..do you follow? 3 minus 1 equals? Come on now, I'm sure you can come up with answer of how many times we have shit the bed against the Mutts under Mike Leach.
Apple Cup - Wikipedia

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its kind of a stoopid video. I mean week to week lines are gonna change based on how a team does. I bet If you put a line on every game at the start of last season Oregon was probably favored in almost all of them. but if you look at the lines at game time Im sure they were drastically different. I dont think he had any more to say than anyone else that I havent already heard around the different magazines and talking heads.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its kind of a stoopid video. I mean week to week lines are gonna change based on how a team does. I bet If you put a line on every game at the start of last season Oregon was probably favored in almost all of them. but if you look at the lines at game time Im sure they were drastically different. I dont think he had any more to say than anyone else that I havent already heard around the different magazines and talking heads.
This video must have you fvcked up. This is your 3rd post about it.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This video must have you fvcked up. This is your 3rd post about it.
no just second first i said i didnt watch it because it was too long. then i corrected my own post
now i did watch part of it and was reacting to what you said. so THIS is my 3rd post about it.