• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Notre Dame Fighting Garden Gnomes at tOSU Buckeyes

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND and Marcus Freeman represented themselves well.....they just need to keep improving.
I hear that but I’m through with Little Engine That Could level moral victories. They’re ND. They should not only compete in these spots they should win their fair share of the contests. That hasn’t happened at ND since Holtz. Kelly did a fine job rebuilding the infrastructure of the program but he couldn’t find a way to compete against the elite in college football.

Irish have two more chances this season (Clemson and USC) to change that narrative plus a bowl game. I’m not being critical of Freeman. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Last night just shows them how far away they are. Defensively they can compete. That OSU team will average close to 40 a game in B10 play. They need to improve offensively.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they'd have to play near perfect for the rest of the season now to make the playoffs, and beating clemson and usc is no guarantee. what have they done lately?

they said ian book had limited ability too. pyne is just quicker at making decisions, and the right decision.
And in the end, Ian Book never beat an elite team (unless you want to count Clemson without Trevor Lawrence). ND has been a black hole at QB because they haven’t been able to take the kid with elite skills and develop him. ND has made hay with physically limited QBs like Rees, Book, Golson, etc…when it has come time to develop the real skilled prospects they’ve failed. Last night proved again that if ND wants to compete with the big boys they need a dynamic QB. Buchner has that kind of potential. Pyne does not.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course need to see it again, but it's sure better than getting gashed like we did in our first real test last year.

No doubt about that. Next two games won't be any kinda test though. Two weeks to get ready for what's right now a ranked Wisky team.

And how about Iowa only scoring one FG and 2 safeties against S.D. State? Can't recall that happening before.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear that but I’m through with Little Engine That Could level moral victories. They’re ND. They should not only compete in these spots they should win their fair share of the contests. That hasn’t happened at ND since Holtz. Kelly did a fine job rebuilding the infrastructure of the program but he couldn’t find a way to compete against the elite in college football.

Irish have two more chances this season (Clemson and USC) to change that narrative plus a bowl game. I’m not being critical of Freeman. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Last night just shows them how far away they are. Defensively they can compete. That OSU team will average close to 40 a game in B10 play. They need to improve offensively.
You have to give Freeman a pass this season IMO.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they'd have to play near perfect for the rest of the season now to make the playoffs, and beating clemson and usc is no guarantee. what have they done lately?

they said ian book had limited ability too. pyne is just quicker at making decisions, and the right decision.

N.D. is national brand and people will tune in just to watch them. More people watching the better. The committee knows this. If they run the table I'd say there's a 99.8% chance they get into the playoff.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about that. Next two games won't be any kinda test though. Two weeks to get ready for what's right now a ranked Wisky team.

And how about Iowa only scoring one FG and 2 safeties against S.D. State? Can't recall that happening before.
That was definitely an odd way to get 7....let alone Iowa only scoring 7.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in the end, Ian Book never beat an elite team (unless you want to count Clemson without Trevor Lawrence). ND has been a black hole at QB because they haven’t been able to take the kid with elite skills and develop him. ND has made hay with physically limited QBs like Rees, Book, Golson, etc…when it has come time to develop the real skilled prospects they’ve failed. Last night proved again that if ND wants to compete with the big boys they need a dynamic QB. Buchner has that kind of potential. Pyne does not.
qb's don't beat elite teams, teams beat elite teams. clemson's backup only generated about 500 yards of offense. yes, i would say they were elite. they also beat plenty of teams that went to bowls and won two bowls games.

book is the winningest qb in nd history, and in four post season appearances nd won two bowls and and lost to the eventual national champion twice, both great teams. you saying nd should have stuck with wimbush and developed him? :scratch:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was definitely an odd way to get 7....let alone Iowa only scoring 7.

It might be a long season for Iowa fans. I don't know what division S.D. State plays in but I don't think it's the FBS.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to give Freeman a pass this season IMO.
Yes and no. Anything less than 9 wins is unacceptable. I’m not talking firing the guy of course. That’s absurd. But he has to deliver.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
qb's don't beat elite teams, teams beat elite teams. clemson's backup only generated about 500 yards of offense. yes, i would say they were elite. they also beat plenty of teams that went to bowls and won two bowls games.

book is the winningest qb in nd history, and in four post season appearances nd won two bowls and and lost to the eventual national champion twice, both great teams. you saying nd should have stuck with wimbush and developed him? :scratch:
I’m saying ND shouldn’t have failed with Crist, Wimbush, Jurkovec, Gunner Kiel, etc…. They do a fine job coaching up a 3 star talent and getting the most out of him. But you can’t win big in college football without an elite QB.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m saying ND shouldn’t have failed with Crist, Wimbush, Jurkovec, Gunner Kiel, etc…. They do a fine job coaching up a 3 star talent and getting the most out of him. But you can’t win big in college football without an elite QB.
nd didn't fail with Crist, Wimbush, Jurkovec, Gunner Kiel, they simply underperformed. book was just the better decision maker. something difficult to teach. just as pyne is a better decision maker than buchner.

on a college level, book was elite. and his record shows it. his few losses, came mostly against great teams on the road.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nd didn't fail with Crist, Wimbush, Jurkovec, Gunner Kiel, they simply underperformed. book was just the better decision maker. something difficult to teach. just as pyne is a better decision maker than buchner.

on a college level, book was elite. and his record shows it. his few losses, came mostly against great teams on the road.
When it’s one kid that doesn’t develop that’s one thing. When it’s every kid that doesn’t develop that’s emblematic of a larger problem. Hopefully this just applies to the Kelly era and things change under Freeman.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it’s one kid that doesn’t develop that’s one thing. When it’s every kid that doesn’t develop that’s emblematic of a larger problem. Hopefully this just applies to the Kelly era and things change under Freeman.
what gives you the idea they could have ever been elite? wimbush got plenty of playing time, even went to a different school like jurkovec. where are they?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what gives you the idea they could have ever been elite? wimbush got plenty of playing time, even went to a different school like jurkovic. where are they?
Not getting developed in some one else’s program. The QB position was the position that held the Kelly era back.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Book wasn't bad. Just wasn't NFL Material
Book’s limitations showed up against Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, etc… Book was an above average college QB. He just didn’t have the arm talent to beat elite teams with pros all over the defense. I’m nit picking here of course. But that’s what it takes to win national titles. Even Saban has evolved. He used to play game managers but came to realize that college football has become all about the dynamic QB play.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not getting developed in some one else’s program. The QB position was the position that held the Kelly era back.
nd has more damn coaches than most people can count. so your not happy with tommy rees? pretty sure he's in high demand. kelley just signed a mega contract with lsu.

book was still the best option.

alabama, clemson were superior to nd in virtually every phase of the game, and had many more all americans. academic standards are much higher at nd, and the weather sucks. they don't get the kind of freedom in recruiting that those teams, or ohio state get.

Last edited:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nd has more damn coaches than most people can count. so your not happy with tommy rees? pretty sure he's in high demand. kelley just signed a mega contract with lsu.

book was still the best option.

alabama, clemson were superior to nd in virtually every phase of the game, and had many more all americans. academic standards are much higher at nd, and the weather sucks. they don't get the kind of freedom in recruiting that those teams, or ohio state get.
All 4 of those kids I mentioned were kids who had offers from everybody.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All 4 of those kids I mentioned were kids who had offers from everybody.
and? so did book. so do a lot of college qbs.

book was still the better option.

if book plays for alabama they still win the championship.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. Anything less than 9 wins is unacceptable. I’m not talking firing the guy of course. That’s absurd. But he has to deliver.
I seriously doubt this happens but say you go 8-4....maybe even 7-5....fire him?