• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the next few weeks

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the next big event for baseball is the combined owners/general managers meetings next week in Milwaukee, and that should provide ample time and place to finish laying the groundwork for future offseason dealings. The Winter Meetings are scheduled for Dec. 5-8, and this year they will be right down the Turnpike in Dallas. Last year's meetings were in Orlando, Fla., and it wasn't until that point in early December that the Rangers got a real indication of what it would take to sign Lee.

It was also at Disney World that the Rangers started veering away from Lee and pointed themselves toward Beltre, something that was unforeseen a month earlier. That should be a reminder that Pujols and Fielder might not totally be out of the Rangers' plans until they officially sign somewhere else. If Young can be uprooted, so can Mitch Moreland. So can Feliz.

The Rangers have a plan -- they always have a plan, and pitching is always integral in that plan -- but they also have contingency plans in case Plan A, B or C goes awry. Adaptation is crucial in the fluid events of the offseason.

At this point in the offseason, there are two forces at work. The Rangers are expressing "preliminary interest" in as many players as possible to keep their options open, and agents are trying to manufacture as much "serious interest" in their clients as possible. The second mission for any diligent agent is to get the word out that his client has no issues playing in New York. That is fundamental in November.

The Rangers' fundamental approach right now is to keep all avenues open, because they know how things change during the offseason. This process is only getting started.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be pleased as punch if they could somehow come away with CJ/Buerhle, Oswalt (for the right deal)/closer and Fielder. Nolan has squashed a local rumor about Fielder, but I'm not so sure I buy it.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be pleased as punch if they could somehow come away with CJ/Buerhle, Oswalt (for the right deal)/closer and Fielder. Nolan has squashed a local rumor about Fielder, but I'm not so sure I buy it.

have to assume that Plans A, B & C have to do with pitching: CJ, or Oswalt or Buehrle or others and if they fall thru then maybe Plan D is either Fielder or Pujols and a closer with Feliz going to the rotation

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the next big event for baseball is the combined owners/general managers meetings next week in Milwaukee, and that should provide ample time and place to finish laying the groundwork for future offseason dealings. The Winter Meetings are scheduled for Dec. 5-8, and this year they will be right down the Turnpike in Dallas. Last year's meetings were in Orlando, Fla., and it wasn't until that point in early December that the Rangers got a real indication of what it would take to sign Lee.

It was also at Disney World that the Rangers started veering away from Lee and pointed themselves toward Beltre, something that was unforeseen a month earlier. That should be a reminder that Pujols and Fielder might not totally be out of the Rangers' plans until they officially sign somewhere else. If Young can be uprooted, so can Mitch Moreland. So can Feliz.

The Rangers have a plan -- they always have a plan, and pitching is always integral in that plan -- but they also have contingency plans in case Plan A, B or C goes awry. Adaptation is crucial in the fluid events of the offseason.

At this point in the offseason, there are two forces at work. The Rangers are expressing "preliminary interest" in as many players as possible to keep their options open, and agents are trying to manufacture as much "serious interest" in their clients as possible. The second mission for any diligent agent is to get the word out that his client has no issues playing in New York. That is fundamental in November.

The Rangers' fundamental approach right now is to keep all avenues open, because they know how things change during the offseason. This process is only getting started.

This may have been been the most astute post you've ever made

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you guys keep acting like pitching is in such dire straits around these parts?

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you guys keep acting like pitching is in such dire straits around these parts?

got me,,,, i say get fielder/closer and then we can look at trading moreland/murphy/torrealbba/borbon and whoever for some arms if we must

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to see us have dominant pitching for once, not just "good" pitching. To say our staff was good enough last year and what we really need is another big bat seems to be the same mantra that has always plagued the Rangers.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can never have enough Pitching in Baseball. A Very Simple Fact.

Yes it is. That's why I will never understand why they traded their two best arms at AA for an 8th inning set up man. A g.d. relief pitcher!

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes it is. That's why I will never understand why they traded their two best arms at AA for an 8th inning set up man. A g.d. relief pitcher!

Needed Relief Help to give the Rangers a Shot at going deeper in the Post Season. Mike Adams did help out but could hurt the Rangers in the Long Run. Needed Bullpen Reinforcements to have a shot at the World Series.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well if most of ya'll believe in holland,harrison,perez,lewis,feldman,ogando,feliz and the other good arms we have , might as well get fielder for 5/6 years and try to "win" some world series before this team starts going downhill......hamilton/cruz(injuries???)young(getting older)and other teams throwing huge amounts of money at our guys when they become FA

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well if most of ya'll believe in holland,harrison,perez,lewis,feldman,ogando,feliz and the other good arms we have , might as well get fielder for 5/6 years and try to "win" some world series before this team starts going downhill......hamilton/cruz(injuries???)young(getting older)and other teams throwing huge amounts of money at our guys when they become FA

I believe Fielder is going to want at least 8 Yrs. Bigger Investment than 5-6 Years.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not if you sell it as 5/6 years for 20+mil and then he can go get another contract when he turns 32/33 for another 100+ mil......pujols is going to be 32 and getting huge money

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it's not in dire straits it just could be a little better and we may need to respond to CJ's loss

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are trying to mislead people here by specifying AA; however, those two arms weren't even close to being their best two arms. Not even close! Neither guy projects any where near to be a #1 starter. As it stands both guys would have had severe problems ever cracking the Rangers rotation.