• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the next few weeks

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to know what makes Profar so great to these scouts. At 5'11 165, I doubt he'll have any power in the bigs. He has 38 errors in 177 games, and his numbers show he's a good but not phenomenal base stealer. The most intriguing stat about him is his 65 walks last season and .390 OBP. That's amazing for an 18 year old. Great plate discipline is something you generally either have or you don't.

That's the stat that catches the eye..he's only 18. He's playing as one of the youngest players in his league.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you base it on K/BB's ratio, what about everything else? the Rangers obviously thought it was a good deal to get Adams. they based their decision on more than their K/BB's ratio and thought that with the minor league pitchers they have that Wieland & Erlin were expendable. that should be the end of the conversation.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is... they're all "prospects"... Sometimes scouts are wrong. Sometimes "life" gets in the way of things... etc. Prospects dont always turn out.

95% of the time, I'll take a "proven" talent over a couple of prospects any day of the week. Yes, its nice to look at prospects and "dream"...however, who knows what could come of things. They could struggle (Smoak/Davis)... they could live up to expectations (Feliz)...or they could never make it to the majors (Beau Jones).

Dont get me wrong, developing talent "in house" is #1.. but until they do something above AAA ball...its not valid to argue what team A gave to team B in exchange for player X.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is... they're all "prospects"... Sometimes scouts are wrong. Sometimes "life" gets in the way of things... etc. Prospects dont always turn out.

95% of the time, I'll take a "proven" talent over a couple of prospects any day of the week. Yes, its nice to look at prospects and "dream"...however, who knows what could come of things. They could struggle (Smoak/Davis)... they could live up to expectations (Feliz)...or they could never make it to the majors (Beau Jones).

Dont get me wrong, developing talent "in house" is #1.. but until they do something above AAA ball...its not valid to argue what team A gave to team B in exchange for player X.

Not when that player is one of the most dominant relief pitchers in baseball.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I recall correctly you said both Uehara and Adams would put Texas in the WS before ever seeing either pitch here. So I'm not surprised by your comments. Trying to read something such as condesending into comments left on a message board is at best guess work. I have no idea where you came up with that notion.

Actually that is not quite what I said. I said that adding Adams and Uehara should be intrumental in getting them to the WS since the bullpen was in such desperate need of help at the time. Uehara turned out to be a bust, but hopefully it is because he just pitched too many innings. Adams did live up to expectations for the most part and played a huge role along with Ogando, Feliz, and Gonzo in getting them through the playoffs.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually that is not quite what I said. I said that adding Adams and Uehara should be intrumental in getting them to the WS since the bullpen was in such desperate need of help at the time. Uehara turned out to be a bust, but hopefully it is because he just pitched too many innings. Adams did live up to expectations for the most part and played a huge role along with Ogando, Feliz, and Gonzo in getting them through the playoffs.

considering that Uehara threw 65 innings this last season which was 22 innings more in a season than he had ever thrown, i think he ran out of steam late in the season but he still had a 2.35 ERA and a WHIP of 0.72 for the season.

and Adams was better with an ERA 0.79 and ERA of 1.47.

i think we see them really contribute next season

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not when that player is one of the most dominant relief pitchers in baseball.[/QUOT

Uehara or Adams?

Adams. And Uehara was until he came unwound after we got him for some reason. For now I am going to hang my hat on the possibility that he simply pitched too many innings this year. We'll see next year unless he is traded.