• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the next few weeks

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well if most of ya'll believe in holland,harrison,perez,lewis,feldman,ogando,feliz and the other good arms we have , might as well get fielder for 5/6 years and try to "win" some world series before this team starts going downhill......hamilton/cruz(injuries???)young(getting older)and other teams throwing huge amounts of money at our guys when they become FA

This really is my feeling about it. Sign Fielder because really I doubt Pujols is leaving the Cardinals. Both are complete studs who will pay huge dividends here. Can't really trust either Hamilton or Cruz to stay healthy or effective. I love Fielder's game. He fits this park to a T and he is a great guy and a great teammate.

And the Rangers don't have good arms. They have GREAT arms and a lot of them. You have to expect Ramirez, Sheppers and Perez all to hit the show this season. Heck, I think Feldman is better than most teams #3 guy maybe even their #2's.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are trying to mislead people here by specifying AA; however, those two arms weren't even close to being their best two arms. Not even close! Neither guy projects any where near to be a #1 starter. As it stands both guys would have had severe problems ever cracking the Rangers rotation.

he has never allowed facts to get in his way

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really is my feeling about it. Sign Fielder because really I doubt Pujols is leaving the Cardinals. Both are complete studs who will pay huge dividends here. Can't really trust either Hamilton or Cruz to stay healthy or effective. I love Fielder's game. He fits this park to a T and he is a great guy and a great teammate.

And the Rangers don't have good arms. They have GREAT arms and a lot of them. You have to expect Ramirez, Sheppers and Perez all to hit the show this season. Heck, I think Feldman is better than most teams #3 guy maybe even their #2's.

Miami has supposedly just made substantial offers to both Pujols and Reyes. According to some sources Miami is looking to going heavily after the Latin-American superstars

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General manager Jerry Dipoto has "reached out" to C.J. Wilson's representation, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times (Twitter link), though DiPoto added it's "very early in the courting period." In his Offseason Outlook piece about the Angels, MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith estimated the club would have roughly $10-$20MM in payroll space to work with this winter, so the Angels could afford to pay Wilson the $12-15MM average annual salary he's likely to receive on the free agent market and still have a bit of cash left over to address other roster holes.
From that same DiGiovanna link, Dipoto also said the Angels are looking at right-handed relievers.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are trying to mislead people here by specifying AA; however, those two arms weren't even close to being their best two arms. Not even close! Neither guy projects any where near to be a #1 starter. As it stands both guys would have had severe problems ever cracking the Rangers rotation.

There is nothing to be gained by misleading anybody. Noth sure what you mean by the AA remark since both were at Frisco. That aside, I don't really give a rat's ass about projections when the two guys we traded for, Adams and Uehara, for the two prospects, plus Davis and Hunter haven't exactly lived up to projections.
Speaking of misleading.... who ever said they had to project to be #1 starters in order to have value? They sure as heck had a lot more value than to be traded for an overrated set up guy. And both guys would have had trouble cracking the Rangers rotation? Seriously...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone who thinks Adams is an over-rated set-up man doesn't know baseball

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Erlin and Wieland had Glavine as their ceiling as being low 90s fastball offerings and excellent secondary stuff, good control and good makeup,

Uehara's trade was for Davis and Hunter, I was and still am completely comfortable with that loss,

Adams was a much needed setup manand while the cost was high it was necessary at the time

Will we look look back in about 5 years and regret giving up one of these guys? probably

But I would still do it as it helped solidify our position in the World Series THIS year

IF you have a legit shot as a World Series contender then you take that shot

** Ginger I think he was saying they were our 2 best at AA arms, not our 2 best arms in the minors

** Zero confidence in Scheppers being anything more than a reliever, closer at best

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Erlin and Wieland had Glavine as their ceiling as being low 90s fastball offerings and excellent secondary stuff, good control and good makeup,

Uehara's trade was for Davis and Hunter, I was and still am completely comfortable with that loss,

Adams was a much needed setup manand while the cost was high it was necessary at the time

Will we look look back in about 5 years and regret giving up one of these guys? probably

But I would still do it as it helped solidify our position in the World Series THIS year

** Ginger I think he was saying they were our 2 best at AA arms, not our 2 best arms in the minors

** Zero confidence in Scheppers being anything more than a reliever, closer at best

well said.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't have a problem with the Uehara trade and still don't. The reference was to projections and how they are sometimes not iron clad can't miss. I think we would have gotten just as far in the playoffs with or without Adams..but that's just my opinion. He throws way to many hittable pitches in the heart of the plate for my comfort level. I don't think either of the Japanese pitchers have the heart for pennant chase level baseball.
I realize that trading talent is part of the game, but I'd rather have had those two available for starting pitching should a guy like James Shields be available down the road.
I've been following Rangers baseball a long time and I can't remember having one, much less two, prospects that have flashed the type of control and pitching ability you mentioned. As I recall their k/bb ratios were off the charts.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't have a problem with the Uehara trade and still don't. The reference was to projections and how they are sometimes not iron clad can't miss. I think we would have gotten just as far in the playoffs with or without Adams..but that's just my opinion. He throws way to many hittable pitches in the heart of the plate for my comfort level. I don't think either of the Japanese pitchers have the heart for pennant chase level baseball.
I realize that trading talent is part of the game, but I'd rather have had those two available for starting pitching should a guy like James Shields be available down the road.
I've been following Rangers baseball a long time and I can't remember having one, much less two, prospects that have flashed the type of control and pitching ability you mentioned. As I recall their k/bb ratios were off the charts.

My only issue is that we traded both and not just one, agree with you there, and one should have been enough to get a set-up man

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better acknowledging a decent post than just posting to be an ASS

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better yet if you don't like my posts then ignore them.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wieland was 21 in AA last year and he threw a no-hitter. He hits about 90 on the gun as far as I can tell. Sometimes can get a bit more. In reality he is going to be an upper 80's offspeed pitcher.

Erlin doesn't appear to have quite the upside as Wieland based on the stuff I've read. He is a tad younger than Wieland and his fastball velocity is upper 80's. Depending upon whose scouting report you read he has a great curveball and good control to great control.

Neither player has elite level tools and I seriously doubt that either have any where close to the ceiling that Tom Glavine had and neither will have close to the career either. Glavine was low to mid 90's when he started out and had great control of all of his pitches. These guys are starting out with upper 80's to very low 90's. Not the same thing at all especially when guys usually lose 2 or 3 mph after they've been in the majors a couple of seasons. Especially these "pitchability" guys.

Now if they have success. It is great. I see their upside being more Ted Lillyish rather than Glavine. And lets be real about it, Lilly is one of the very, very few who has succeeded with basically just a curve ball. I personally think the Rangers traded away a couple of guys who have no margin for error.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Al/Scotsman feud that is carrying over into every thread is getting really annoying.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wieland was 21 in AA last year and he threw a no-hitter. He hits about 90 on the gun as far as I can tell. Sometimes can get a bit more. In reality he is going to be an upper 80's offspeed pitcher.

Erlin doesn't appear to have quite the upside as Wieland based on the stuff I've read. He is a tad younger than Wieland and his fastball velocity is upper 80's. Depending upon whose scouting report you read he has a great curveball and good control to great control.

Neither player has elite level tools and I seriously doubt that either have any where close to the ceiling that Tom Glavine had and neither will have close to the career either. Glavine was low to mid 90's when he started out and had great control of all of his pitches. These guys are starting out with upper 80's to very low 90's. Not the same thing at all especially when guys usually lose 2 or 3 mph after they've been in the majors a couple of seasons. Especially these "pitchability" guys.

Now if they have success. It is great. I see their upside being more Ted Lillyish rather than Glavine. And lets be real about it, Lilly is one of the very, very few who has succeeded with basically just a curve ball. I personally think the Rangers traded away a couple of guys who have no margin for error.

If anybody has shown they don't have a margin for error it's the guy we got. We'll have to wait a year or two to see how the prospects pan out. We gave up to much for a guy who may go a week before he pitches in a meaningful game.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Al/Scotsman feud that is carrying over into every thread is getting really annoying.

I agree and I apologize. I was willing to let things go, but when the cut and paste guru posts, "he has never allowed facts to get in his way", rather than contribute something to the discussion then you should take it up with him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i apologize to everyone for letting this get out of hand. but i take offense to the idea that it is my fault. Post #31 is a example of why i get annoyed

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i apologize to everyone for letting this get out of hand. but i take offense to the idea that it is my fault. Post #31 is a example of why i get annoyed

You're just completely stupid, aren't you? Had there not been a 22 there wouldn't have been a 31.