• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Preseason Ranking - I will turn this into Power Rankings after this week and go by how the teams do by 3-4 weeks. Week 1 will not be very influential in week 6 to the end of the season. I don't know how we can say "Power Rankings" when he haven't seen them play. I will give analysis of top half, but will do all teams after week one, when I get to see them play.

1) Penn State - The Nittany Lions are #1 because they did win the conference last year and they are the most experienced team in the B1G. Their defense was not among the top of the B1G last season and could really affect them this year. McSorley and Barkley could be the best QB/RB combination in the B1G and should have a great offense.

2) Ohio State - The Buckeyes might be #2 on here, but Michigan is the only B1G team with more NFL Draft picks. They are still quite experienced and could be the most balanced on offense and defense. Right now, Penn State and Ohio State are the two that is heavily favored to win the B1G, and I think it is fair.

3) Northwestern - The B1G nerds above two Top 10 teams? Only Penn State is more experienced and they bring a strong combination of QB and RB. Thorson will not be a top QB by any means, but Jackson could be the top RB in the B1G, and arguably the country. Thorson should be good enough to compliment him. They should be returning a strong rush defense, which helps them in the B1G West and don't have to worry about Michigan or Ohio State. They also lost 3 games last year by less than a TD that they would not have to worry about this season.

4) Wisconsin
- The Badgers seem to be a popular pick for the West. They don't have to worry about Ohio State or Penn State. Wisconsin will be a powerful team with a good ground game. They have a young QB and RB but they could have the best OL in the B1G. The Badgers are returning the top rushing defense in the B1G from last season.

5) Michigan - The Wolverines lost a lot of talent from last season. Only Michigan State has less experience in the B1G. Not only did they lost a lot of talent, they had 11 players get drafted (most in CFB), so a lot that they lost were talented enough for NFL teams to give them a shot. However, they get good recruiting classes and Harbaugh is a great coach. He also has his recruited players to be key players now.

6) Iowa - The running game should be great for Iowa, but the passing game is the big question mark. On offense, they return Akrum Wadley and gained graduate transfer James Butler (Nevada) and has a great OL. They also bring back a strong front seven on the defensive side, led by LB Josey Jewell. They lost 2-year starter CJ Beathard and a few wide receivers (who weren't that great anyway). They also lost all of their DBs, including All-American and 2015 Jim Thorpe Award winner Desmond King. Could be a great year or a very disappoint year for the Hawkeyes.

7) Nebraska - The Huskers lose a lot of talent. They are 12th in B1G in terms of experience. Tanner Lee will be the starter after sitting out a year, as he transferred to Nebraska. They had one of the best defenses in the B1G, and I would expect their defense to remain strong.

8) Minnesota
9) Maryland
10) Purdue
11) Michigan State
12) Indiana
13) Illinois
14) Rutgers

Nice rankings....especially Purdue.....

......after the BTN guys (Dave Revsine, Jerry DiNardo, Howard Griffith) completed their annual tour stop of all 14 practices, they say that Purdue is much better than originally thought.

They also say that Wisconsin is better than originally thought, primarily due to the Badgers superior offensive line.

However, they say that Minnesota is not as far along as they would have expected, and that Michigan State is looking decent.......so......

...... I would say that flipping Minnesota and Michigan State in your rankings might be a bit more accurate...at least according the the BTN guys......everything else looks good in your rankings, IMO.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice rankings....especially Purdue.....

......after the BTN guys (Dave Revsine, Jerry DiNardo, Howard Griffith) completed their annual tour stop of all 14 practices, they say that Purdue is much better than originally thought.

They also say that Wisconsin is better than originally thought, primarily due to the Badgers superior offensive line.

However, they say that Minnesota is not as far along as they would have expected, and that Michigan State is looking decent.......so......

...... I would say that flipping Minnesota and Michigan State in your rankings might be a bit more accurate...at least according the the BTN guys......everything else looks good in your rankings, IMO.

NW, Wisconsin, and Michigan were three I had a hard time with.

Minnesota, Maryland, Michigan State, and Purdue were tough ones as well. Minnesota and Maryland are ones I am not sold on but not sure how not sold I am of them. I like PJ Fleck, but I am not sold on him to be as high as they make him out to be in year one. I want to think Michigan State cannot be that bad again under Dantonio, but I got nothing to raise them up. Purdue is set up for the pass. So, I am sold on Jeff Brohm enough to think they will be a lot better but still not good.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7) Nebraska - The Huskers lose a lot of talent. They are 12th in B1G in terms of experience. Tanner Lee will be the starter after sitting out a year, as he transferred to Nebraska. They had one of the best defenses in the B1G, and I would expect their defense to remain strong.

8) Minnesota
9) Maryland
10) Purdue
11) Michigan State
12) Indiana
13) Illinois
14) Rutgers

Nebraska's defense was so good that they fired their defensive coordinator after the season.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Sparty going to be THAT bad this year?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Preseason Ranking - I will turn this into Power Rankings after this week and go by how the teams do by 3-4 weeks. Week 1 will not be very influential in week 6 to the end of the season. I don't know how we can say "Power Rankings" when he haven't seen them play. I will give analysis of top half, but will do all teams after week one, when I get to see them play.

1) Penn State - The Nittany Lions are #1 because they did win the conference last year and they are the most experienced team in the B1G. Their defense was not among the top of the B1G last season and could really affect them this year. McSorley and Barkley could be the best QB/RB combination in the B1G and should have a great offense.

2) Ohio State - The Buckeyes might be #2 on here, but Michigan is the only B1G team with more NFL Draft picks. They are still quite experienced and could be the most balanced on offense and defense. Right now, Penn State and Ohio State are the two that is heavily favored to win the B1G, and I think it is fair.

3) Northwestern - The B1G nerds above two Top 10 teams? Only Penn State is more experienced and they bring a strong combination of QB and RB. Thorson will not be a top QB by any means, but Jackson could be the top RB in the B1G, and arguably the country. Thorson should be good enough to compliment him. They should be returning a strong rush defense, which helps them in the B1G West and don't have to worry about Michigan or Ohio State. They also lost 3 games last year by less than a TD that they would not have to worry about this season.

4) Wisconsin
- The Badgers seem to be a popular pick for the West. They don't have to worry about Ohio State or Penn State. Wisconsin will be a powerful team with a good ground game. They have a young QB and RB but they could have the best OL in the B1G. The Badgers are returning the top rushing defense in the B1G from last season.

5) Michigan - The Wolverines lost a lot of talent from last season. Only Michigan State has less experience in the B1G. Not only did they lost a lot of talent, they had 11 players get drafted (most in CFB), so a lot that they lost were talented enough for NFL teams to give them a shot. However, they get good recruiting classes and Harbaugh is a great coach. He also has his recruited players to be key players now.

6) Iowa - The running game should be great for Iowa, but the passing game is the big question mark. On offense, they return Akrum Wadley and gained graduate transfer James Butler (Nevada) and has a great OL. They also bring back a strong front seven on the defensive side, led by LB Josey Jewell. They lost 2-year starter CJ Beathard and a few wide receivers (who weren't that great anyway). They also lost all of their DBs, including All-American and 2015 Jim Thorpe Award winner Desmond King. Could be a great year or a very disappoint year for the Hawkeyes.

8) Minnesota
9) Maryland
10) Purdue
11) Michigan State
12) Indiana
13) Illinois
14) Rutgers

Nebraska: "They had one of the best defenses in the B1G, and I would expect their defense to remain strong."

Nebraska has an entirely new defensive coordinator and scheme. Maybe they find their way by mid-season. Wisconsin and Ohio St are games 6 and 7. Both are in Lincoln so the crowd may help a bit.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4) Wisconsin

8) Minnesota
9) Maryland
10) Purdue
11) Michigan State
12) Indiana
13) Illinois
14) Rutgers

The bottom of the B1G is hard to predict because all of those teams are pretty shitty

Sparty is the most likely of the group to pull off a 6-6/7-5 type season

Brohm was a good hire for Purdue but this season looks like a train wreck. 4 wins would be a win for them. 3-9 again seems more realistic

That being said Purdue, Illinois and Rutgers are probably all about even at the moment (I put Indiana easily ahead of these 3). I'd say Rutgers has the most "upside" of those 3 for this season.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We running the table this year, bitch.

briga.gif

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm honestly surprised that the LGBTQ or NAACP or some other organization with a bunch of letters hasn't made Iowa paint that yet for fear of hurting somebody's feelings.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly surprised that the LGBTQ or NAACP or some other organization with a bunch of letters hasn't made Iowa paint that yet for fear of hurting somebody's feelings.

There's been protests about it. One included robots.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad Iowa doesn't face Indiana this season.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am giving first game jitters to Ohio State. Plus, they probably were looking ahead to Oklahoma.

Indiana's O line could not stop the pass rush, but Indiana did show how to score on Ohio State. Real quick fades. Right now, that Nebraska O line had better start figuring out what to do against Ohio State. We will see what the Nebraska O line can do against Ark State's Ja’Von Rolland-Jones.

Indiana is who we thought they were. Indiana is NOT a win for anyone. I was there last year for the Nebraska Indiana game. Indiana still has Michigan, Penn State, Mich State, and Wisconsin to play. Indiana had better beat Virginia or I don't think they will have a winning record.

I only watched the first quarter of the Minnesota game and then the final 4 minutes. I thought Minnesota would roll Buffalo as Minnesota marched up and down the field in the first quarter and their All Big Ten Kicker missed kicks(which I enjoyed seeing).

I don't think Buffalo is all that good. Fleck knows about Buffalo too since they are in the MAC. Buffalo looks like another losing season with wins against Colgate and Florida Atlantic.

Minnesota looked impressive at first, then just stagnated. Probably the first game hype from Fleck got Minnesota fired up, then reality set in. Minnesota's schedule is pretty easy.

The Big Ten West is just Wisconsin. Everyone else is 50-50 in that division, except Illinois and Purdue. Minnesota could be an over-hyped 7-0(see Nebraska 2016) before they face Iowa.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am giving first game jitters to Ohio State. Plus, they probably were looking ahead to Oklahoma.

Indiana's O line could not stop the pass rush, but Indiana did show how to score on Ohio State. Real quick fades. Right now, that Nebraska O line had better start figuring out what to do against Ohio State. We will see what the Nebraska O line can do against Ark State's Ja’Von Rolland-Jones.

Indiana is who we thought they were. Indiana is NOT a win for anyone. I was there last year for the Nebraska Indiana game. Indiana still has Michigan, Penn State, Mich State, and Wisconsin to play. Indiana had better beat Virginia or I don't think they will have a winning record.

I only watched the first quarter of the Minnesota game and then the final 4 minutes. I thought Minnesota would roll Buffalo as Minnesota marched up and down the field in the first quarter and their All Big Ten Kicker missed kicks(which I enjoyed seeing).

I don't think Buffalo is all that good. Fleck knows about Buffalo too since they are in the MAC. Buffalo looks like another losing season with wins against Colgate and Florida Atlantic.

Minnesota looked impressive at first, then just stagnated. Probably the first game hype from Fleck got Minnesota fired up, then reality set in. Minnesota's schedule is pretty easy.

The Big Ten West is just Wisconsin. Everyone else is 50-50 in that division, except Illinois and Purdue. Minnesota could be an over-hyped 7-0(see Nebraska 2016) before they face Iowa.

Buffalo's FG kicker missed two chip shots in the first half. The one that was blocked was kicked way too low. If he makes those it's 14-13 half instead of 14-7.

Fleck has a lot of work to do.