• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

UM Fire

The man, the myth, the legend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, a Michigan fan who actually admits that the Peppers hype was a bunch of BS.

Nobody has denied that he is a elite athlete. The problem is that Athleticism only gets you so far the higher you climb.

I'm sure he may be a great return man in the NFL, but I don't see him making much of a great impact for a NFL defense. Unless someone can get him to break the habit of constant over pursuit and terrible angle taking.

I'm assuming his coverage skills arent too great either, or he would have been a lockdown CB in college and not a Saftey/LB.

He was pretty much nothing more than a decoy on offense, sure you had to pay attention to him, but most of the time he was harmless.

The Charles Woodson comparisons were stupid from the start, Woodson was a elite DB and probably a better player on offense as well.

I don't think the Woodson comparisons were stupid from the start, but Peppers just became a different player over his time in AA and they should have stopped. If Michigan wasn't so thin at LB, he might have played more S. I think he was better there because he does have a tendency to over pursue.

I think Woodson was better on offense, but I think Peppers could have been if he was used more effectively. I wanted to see him used more as a WR or HB. Had we used him at HB for some PA, I think we could have seen some big plays over the top.

When he took the direct snap, everyone on the planet knew he was running the ball. I think we called two plays where he was given a pass option, but I think it was only one WR and it was obvious because they both failed.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, a Michigan fan who actually admits that the Peppers hype was a bunch of BS.

Nobody has denied that he is a elite athlete. The problem is that Athleticism only gets you so far the higher you climb.

I'm sure he may be a great return man in the NFL, but I don't see him making much of a great impact for a NFL defense. Unless someone can get him to break the habit of constant over pursuit and terrible angle taking.

I'm assuming his coverage skills arent too great either, or he would have been a lockdown CB in college and not a Saftey/LB.

He was pretty much nothing more than a decoy on offense, sure you had to pay attention to him, but most of the time he was harmless.

The Charles Woodson comparisons were stupid from the start, Woodson was a elite DB and probably a better player on offense as well.
This is why he was a jack-of-all-trades type on defense instead of staying at one spot. If he was an elite safety/CB/LB, they wouldn't have kept moving him all over the place.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Woodson comparisons were stupid from the start, but Peppers just became a different player over his time in AA and they should have stopped. If Michigan wasn't so thin at LB, he might have played more S. I think he was better there because he does have a tendency to over pursue.

I think Woodson was better on offense, but I think Peppers could have been if he was used more effectively. I wanted to see him used more as a WR or HB. Had we used him at HB for some PA, I think we could have seen some big plays over the top.

When he took the direct snap, everyone on the planet knew he was running the ball. I think we called two plays where he was given a pass option, but I think it was only one WR and it was obvious because they both failed.

Yea, I was hoping they would run peppers in the wildcat against us as much as possible because it seemed to never work. I think they tried it 3 times and he maybe got 3 total yards with it in the game.

UM Fire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why he was a jack-of-all-trades type on defense instead of staying at one spot. If he was an elite safety/CB/LB, they wouldn't have kept moving him all over the place.

Michigan had more depth in the secondary and only one returning LB with playing time. That had a lot to do with his move to LB, but I think he moved away from CB for a reason.

UM Fire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I was hoping they would run peppers in the wildcat against us as much as possible because it seemed to never work. I think they tried it 3 times and he maybe got 3 total yards with it in the game.

That kind of thing works in just two situations, when you have a good OL (you do, we're working on it) and the other was against Rutgers.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Peppers legit can make a living in the NFL as a return man.

I'm sure some team will draft him higher then he should be drafted though based on Athleticism alone. Which happens all the time in the NFL draft.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Western Michigan's secondary over the Raiders.

I guess that means Bart Houston is a God since he went like 11/12 with one drop. So no bad passes. Too bad we didn't play Bart vs Michigan or OSU.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Peppers is basically Taylor Mays with some return skills. Except Taylor Mays was 230 Lbs.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New college football playoff rankings if Michigan holds on and the Huskies lose

Bama
OSU
Michigan
Wisconsin
Penn St.

BIG>>>>>>>>>>>>>ACC>>>>>>SEC>>>BIG12>>PAC

Hahaha 3 of the 4 teams lost in
The conference of chumps. Hell Utah
Beat Indiana to. THE PAC12 ruled the big
10. Shiiit! Sit down son and go ice up.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All teams in the BIG played teams that were ranked higher in their own respective conferences while many of these games were essentially road games. LOL Indiana was a below avg BIG team while Utah had a chance to win their conference until the second to last week.

That's your first lesson son.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 was garbage man. Both conferences sucked.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you wanna know why conference nutswinging is dumb? you just bragged about your team beating Indiana in football.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will your team look like next season? What are the players and coaches that have been lost and added?

Starting Players lost:

OLB: TJ Watt and Biegel ( second and third round picks
OT: Ryan Ramcyzk (first round pick)
RB: Clement and (4th rounder)
S: Leo Musso (MVP of the team might not get drafted)
CB: Shelton (6th round pick)
WR: Wheelright (undrafted)
QB: Bart Houston (undrafted)
Coaches lost:
Defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox

notable Players recruited/transferred:

OLB: Andrew Van Ginkel ( 3rd best ranked OLB in the nations.
Christian Bell, Alabama 4 star transfer

RB: Chris James (4 star RB transfer from Pitt)
Johnathan Taylor (5'11 215 lb RB ranked 25th of all RB's. Track star and runs a 4.40 40 time

CB: #1 CB out of Hawaii Nick Nelson Transferred to the Badgers will look to replace Shelton

QB: Jack Coan (#20 ranked QB was named player of the year in New Jersey) He's a threat to run as well as a highly accurate passer with strong arm. Trained with NFL players and is already practicing with UW.

OT: Tyler Beach (Mountain of a young man and was the 40th ranked OT)

S: Scott Nelson (Tall and lengthy Safety ranked #50 of all safeties)

No replacement coach for Wilcox has been named yet and probably won't be for another couple weeks.

With the Badgers returning their entire O-line except OT (have a good replacement), returning FB, TE, improvement at the QB position potentially with the freshmen who is expected to beat out Hornibrook, and improvement at RB I can see this offense doing some significant damage. It will be much more fun to watch than 4 yards and a cloud of dust with an occasional 12 yard pass to the TE.

Until they replace the defensive coordinator I can't make a prediction for the defense. The entire D-line will return. They did lose Watt and Biegel but their replacements are elite in terms of their recruitment ranking. They should replace Shelton with Nelson at CB and hopefully Nelson can replace Musso at the S position.

They will be far more talented than last season on both sides of the ball. They face a much weaker schedule than last season and will be favored to win all games. If they get a dominant 3-4 D coordinator I will expect this team to go undefeated. No more excuses as the schedule combined with the talent level is set.

Not sure who's available at D-coordinator though.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go! Another season approaching!

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday, August 31

7:00 pm EST - Buffalo at Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN (TCF Bank Stadium) - BTN
8:00 pm EST - Ohio State at Indiana - Bloomington, IN (Memorial Stadium) - ESPN

Friday, September 1

8:00 pm EST - Washington at Rutgers - Piscataway, NJ (High Point Solutions Stadium) - FS1
9:00 pm EST - Utah State at Wisconsin - Madison, WI (Camp Randall Stadium) - ESPN

Saturday, Sept 2

12:00 pm EST - Ball State at Illinois - Champaign, IL (Memorial Stadium) - BTN
12:00 pm EST - Wyoming at Iowa - Iowa City, IA (Kinnick Stadium) - BTN
12:00 pm EST - Bowling Green at Michigan State - East Lansing, MI (Spartan Stadium) - ESPNU
12:00 pm EST - Maryland at Texas - Austin, TX (Royal Texas Memorial Stadium) - FS1
12:00 pm EST - Akron at Penn State - University Park, PA (Beaver Stadium) - ABC
3:30 pm EST - Florida vs Michigan - Arlington, TX (AT&T Stadium) - ABC
3:30 pm EST - Nevada at Northwestern - Evanston, IL (Ryan Field) - BTN
7:30 pm EST - Louisville vs Purdue - Indianapolis, IN (Lucas Oil Stadium) - FOX
8:00 pm EST - Arkansas State at Nebraska - Lincoln, NE (Memorial Stadium) - BTN

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling an Urban B10 COY approaching

:pound: Just kidding

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Preseason Ranking - I will turn this into Power Rankings after this week and go by how the teams do by 3-4 weeks. Week 1 will not be very influential in week 6 to the end of the season. I don't know how we can say "Power Rankings" when he haven't seen them play. I will give analysis of top half, but will do all teams after week one, when I get to see them play.

1) Penn State - The Nittany Lions are #1 because they did win the conference last year and they are the most experienced team in the B1G. Their defense was not among the top of the B1G last season and could really affect them this year. McSorley and Barkley could be the best QB/RB combination in the B1G and should have a great offense.

2) Ohio State - The Buckeyes might be #2 on here, but Michigan is the only B1G team with more NFL Draft picks. They are still quite experienced and could be the most balanced on offense and defense. Right now, Penn State and Ohio State are the two that is heavily favored to win the B1G, and I think it is fair.

3) Northwestern - The B1G nerds above two Top 10 teams? Only Penn State is more experienced and they bring a strong combination of QB and RB. Thorson will not be a top QB by any means, but Jackson could be the top RB in the B1G, and arguably the country. Thorson should be good enough to compliment him. They should be returning a strong rush defense, which helps them in the B1G West and don't have to worry about Michigan or Ohio State. They also lost 3 games last year by less than a TD that they would not have to worry about this season.

4) Wisconsin
- The Badgers seem to be a popular pick for the West. They don't have to worry about Ohio State or Penn State. Wisconsin will be a powerful team with a good ground game. They have a young QB and RB but they could have the best OL in the B1G. The Badgers are returning the top rushing defense in the B1G from last season.

5) Michigan - The Wolverines lost a lot of talent from last season. Only Michigan State has less experience in the B1G. Not only did they lost a lot of talent, they had 11 players get drafted (most in CFB), so a lot that they lost were talented enough for NFL teams to give them a shot. However, they get good recruiting classes and Harbaugh is a great coach. He also has his recruited players to be key players now.

6) Iowa - The running game should be great for Iowa, but the passing game is the big question mark. On offense, they return Akrum Wadley and gained graduate transfer James Butler (Nevada) and has a great OL. They also bring back a strong front seven on the defensive side, led by LB Josey Jewell. They lost 2-year starter CJ Beathard and a few wide receivers (who weren't that great anyway). They also lost all of their DBs, including All-American and 2015 Jim Thorpe Award winner Desmond King. Could be a great year or a very disappoint year for the Hawkeyes.

7) Nebraska - The Huskers lose a lot of talent. They are 12th in B1G in terms of experience. Tanner Lee will be the starter after sitting out a year, as he transferred to Nebraska. They had one of the best defenses in the B1G, and I would expect their defense to remain strong.

8) Minnesota
9) Maryland
10) Purdue
11) Michigan State
12) Indiana
13) Illinois
14) Rutgers