• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We struggled with Buffalo. My 3-9 prediction may be optimistic. We may go 1-11 this season if we don't improve in a hurry.

We'll be better than 3-9. But nothing special. Need get better up front

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland has a couple decent QBs. That freshman QB Hill was quite impressive. That injury to Johnson did not look good. I wonder if he tore his ACL or something.

I missed what happened to the defender that was carted off. That looked like it was very serious. Hate seeing injuries like that happen.
Yeah Hill looked really good for a true freshman playing his first game.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan falling apart

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Michigan is struggling. Nevda is too. Down 14-7 to Nevada with less than a minute until half, and Nevada is in FG range.
Nevada is losing to Nevada?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings after Week 1

1. Penn State (1-0) - Last Week: 1 - The Nittany Lions did not face an good team, but they dominated from start to finish. They shut out Akron 52-0 PSU had 569 total yards and Akron had 159. McSorley had 280 yards passing and Barkley had 172.

2. Ohio State (1-0, 1-0) - Last Week: 2 - Buckeyes had a very strong second half. The Hoosiers led 14-13 at halftime, but the Buckeyes outscored them 36-7 after the break. JT Barrett threw for 304 yards with 3 TDs and freshman JK Dobbins rushed 131 yards. Next week will be a big one for Ohio State and could put them above Penn State.

3. Michigan (1-0)- Last Week: 5 - Probably the biggest matchup for a B1G team. The Wolverines are the first ranked B1G team to beat a ranked SEC team in the season opener. Speight had a rough start by throwing two pick-6s, but when he got back in, he did a good job leading. Also got a 55-yard field goal in there.

4. Wisconsin (1-0)- Last Week: 4 - The Badgers dominated the last three quarters. It might have been 10-0 at the end of the 1st quarter, but the Badgers scored 59 unanswered points. Hornibrook was the big player with 244 yards passing and 3 TDs.

5. Maryland (1-0) - Last Week: 9 - Michigan may have had the big game, but Maryland had the big win. The Terps won a 51-41 shootout in Austin. Pigrome did good as he scored 3 total touchdowns and combined 239 yards. His backup played very well for a freshman and finished the game strong.

6. Michigan State (1-0) - Last Week: 11 - What Spartan team will show up? Today, the Spartan team that we have been familiar with showed up. Brian Lewerke had a great game with 250 yards passing and 69 yards rushing and three passing TDs. They held BGSU to 212 total yards.

7. Iowa (1-0) - Last Week: 6 - Hawkeyes took a while to get the run game going, but Wadley had a strong 2nd half. He rushed 116 yards rushing. Stanley threw 125 yards for 3 touchdowns. They held one of the top prospects to the NFL Draft to 23-40, 174 yards, 0 touchdowns, and 2 interceotions.

8. Nebraska (1-0) - Last Week: 7 - I am sure Husker fans are not happy with this performance. Giving up over 400 yards passing and 36 points to a team like Arkansas State. ASU had the game-tying pass (with XP) slip right through their hands. The Huskers did have over 460 yards of offense. Tanner Lee had 238 yards passing and Tre Bryant was just shy of 200 yards rushing.

9. Purdue (0-1) - Last Week: 10 - The Boilermakers faced the 2016 Heisman Trophy winner, and Lamar Jackson dominated. But Purdue stayed with Louisville throughout the game, down to the final drive. Blough and Sindelar nearly had 300 yards passing combined, but they didn't do much rushing. They did face a tough opponent that should have dominated them in every way.

10. Northwestern (1-0)- Last Week: 3 - Maybe I shouldn't have given the Wildcats too much respect yet. I wasn't sure if Justin Jackson was going to reach 100 yards or not. He reached 109 yards. Thorson had a good game, mostly in the 2nd half, but it was 24-20 until late in the 4th. Though they struggled, they did outscore the Wolfpack 24-3 in the 2nd half.

11. Indiana (0-1, 0-1) - Last Week: 12 - The Hoosiers started strong against the Buckeyes, but once Ohio State got rolling, they dominated. Lagow and Cobbs make a good connection that make any secondary nervous. The Hoosiers have no run game and they nearly gave up 600 yards on defense.

12. Minnesota (1-0) - Last Week: 8 - Anybody who followed the game knows that they did not look good. Statistically, the Gophers dominated with over 400 yards of offense to Buffalo's 262. Minnesota never led by more than one score until two minutes left of the game.

13. Rutgers (0-1) - Last Week: 14 - Scarlet Knights looked great against Washington for a half. Even being down 10-7 at half, the Huskies couldn't do anything. UW's TD came on a punt that Rutgers kicked from the back of the end zone. It was a pretty defensive game until UW figured out Rutgers defense. Rutgers were outscored 20-7 in the 2nd half.

14. Illinois (1-0) - Last Week: 13 - Yes. Illinois is 14th after a W, but it was against Ball State and it was far from impressive. They won by 3 but a few penalties may have saved them from going into overtime, if not loss the game.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21230948_1016716775137215_901025813945668029_n.jpg

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Michigan (1-0)

2. Ohio State (1-0, 1-0)

3. Penn State (1-0)

4. Wisconsin (1-0)

5. Iowa (1-0)

6. Nebraska (1-0)

7. Indiana (0-1, 0-1)

8.Maryland (1-0)

9. Michigan State (1-0)

10. Purdue (0-1)

11. Minnesota (1-0)

12. Northwestern (1-0)

13. Rutgers (0-1)

14. Illinois (1-0)

Based off opponents knowns as well as previous season and conference they play in this is where things should be currently.
Michigan actually beat someone tough with some style. Ohio st showed weakness against a good indiana. Penn State is here because of who they played and where Penn St was last year, nothing really known currently. Wisconsin beat a last year 3-9 team, after stalling for a quarter. Iowa beat a MW division champ. Nebraska beat a sunbelt co-champ, offense showed up defense left a lot to be desired. Indiana played well against tOSU, Maryland beat a 5-7 B12 Texas...Michigan state beat up someone they should have who had a losing record last season. Purdue held its own well against an overrated louisville. Minnesota did what it needed to. Northwestern was doing horrible against nevada. argument could be made rutgers should be above northwestern. illinois barely squeaked one out and well we all know illinois.

Next week will be more telling

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Penn State - what part of their game looked bad? None.
2. Ohio State - on the road against an Indiana team that is a pain.
3. Michigan - on the road against a Florida team without 10 players. Looked good. But is Florida any good?
4. Wisconsin - spotted Utah State 10 points then crushed them
5. Maryland - went into Austin and beat #23 ranked Texas. LOL at Texas being ranked #23. A better quality win than anyone else in the bottom 10
6. Michigan State - handled a BGSU team as expected
7. Iowa - looked better than the teams tied for 10
10. Minnesota - struggled at home
10. Northwestern - struggled at home
10. Nebraska - struggled at home but played a better opponent than Minnesota or Northwestern. Nebraska plays a 3-4 defense which is only seven players. Maybe they add four more players to the defense next week.
11. Illinois - they won. struggled at home the worst
12. Purdue - lost but gave Louisville fits
12. Rutgers - lost but it wasn't a blowout
12. Indiana - lost to Ohio State at home. Again.

Let's see, the B1G East has five teams in my top six. Rutgers and Indiana are not going to fare well.

Indiana did draw Purdue and Illinois from the West and they have Rutgers, so four wins for Indiana in 2017.
Rutgers also drew Illinois and Purdue. Doesn't help, two wins total for Rutgers.
Purdue just might have two wins for the season. I think they go 1-2 in their OOC. Maybe.

The B1G West is Wisconsin, they go 6-0 in the division. Then whoever plays well against the other five opponents. Purdue is not going to be an easy out.

Wisconsin' schedule just got easier as BYU looks bad.

If Nebraska doesn't play 11 guys on defense, then will probably get a firm foothold on #10.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Ohio State (1-0, 1-0) - Last Week: 2 - Buckeyes had a very strong second half. The Hoosiers led 14-13 at halftime, but the Buckeyes outscored them 36-7 after the break. JT Barrett threw for 304 yards with 3 TDs and freshman JK Dobbins rushed 131 yards. Next week will be a big one for Ohio State and could put them above Penn State.

No real arguement with the rankings but Dobbins ran for 181 yards not 131

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping BYU should upset LSU and help our perceived schedule strength. Oh well.

I'm really glad we don't play PSU. The Wisconsin/Michigan game (in Madison thankfully) is going to be good.

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Michigan (1-0)

2. Ohio State (1-0, 1-0)

3. Penn State (1-0)

4. Wisconsin (1-0)

5. Iowa (1-0)

6. Nebraska (1-0)

7. Indiana (0-1, 0-1)

8.Maryland (1-0)

9. Michigan State (1-0)

10. Purdue (0-1)

11. Minnesota (1-0)

12. Northwestern (1-0)

13. Rutgers (0-1)

14. Illinois (1-0)

Based off opponents knowns as well as previous season and conference they play in this is where things should be currently.
Michigan actually beat someone tough with some style. Ohio st showed weakness against a good indiana. Penn State is here because of who they played and where Penn St was last year, nothing really known currently. Wisconsin beat a last year 3-9 team, after stalling for a quarter. Iowa beat a MW division champ. Nebraska beat a sunbelt co-champ, offense showed up defense left a lot to be desired. Indiana played well against tOSU, Maryland beat a 5-7 B12 Texas...Michigan state beat up someone they should have who had a losing record last season. Purdue held its own well against an overrated louisville. Minnesota did what it needed to. Northwestern was doing horrible against nevada. argument could be made rutgers should be above northwestern. illinois barely squeaked one out and well we all know illinois.

Next week will be more telling

Agree MI should be #1. Heard a commentator say no one gets more out of his players than Harbaugh and I think he is right. Would not be surprised to see MI win the B1G this year. Their defensive front seven looks tremendous and utterly denominated Florida. On the offense, I would not expect two pick 6's and a punt block every week obviously. And if this young a team can be this good in the first week, I would expect greater-than-average improvement week-to-week going forward. I think this team can beat anyone I saw play this week. NCG? Wouldn't be surprised.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree MI should be #1. Heard a commentator say no one gets more out of his players than Harbaugh and I think he is right. Would not be surprised to see MI win the B1G this year. Their defensive front seven looks tremendous and utterly denominated Florida. On the offense, I would not expect two pick 6's and a punt block every week obviously. And if this young a team can be this good in the first week, I would expect greater-than-average improvement week-to-week going forward. I think this team can beat anyone I saw play this week. NCG? Wouldn't be surprised.
Michigan's offense is too hit or miss. I didn't see any flaws in Penn State.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season prediction:

Penn State beats Michigan (in State College)
Michigan beats Ohio State (Ann Arbor)
Ohio State beats Penn State (Columbus)

Nasty 3-team round robin in the East. But Michigan might be out if they lose to the Badgers in Madison, which I guess puts Ohio State in the title game. Wisconsin wins but lost some other bullshit game (or two) along the way, putting Penn State in the playoffs.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping BYU should upset LSU and help our perceived schedule strength. Oh well.

I'm really glad we don't play PSU. The Wisconsin/Michigan game (in Madison thankfully) is going to be good.

Huskies proved SOS is irrelevant last season.

I'd love to play PSU again this year. I mean being up 28-7 all the badgers have to do is step on the gas and not get complacent. Also, hopefully the DB's learned to turn their heads on those 50/50 balls chucked in the air to have at least 4 int's vs the PSU hobbit QB.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few Big Ten dwellers put up honorable fights and even won this week. Fluke? or will the B1G be a tough conference to play in this year?

Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Purdue all looked better than normal

11-3 week 1 record with one in-conference matchup

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few Big Ten dwellers put up honorable fights and even won this week. Fluke? or will the B1G be a tough conference to play in this year?

Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Purdue all looked better than normal

11-3 week 1 record with one in-conference matchup
Minnesota looks pretty terrible though and Illinois might be the worst team in the FBS this year. NW didn't look good either and they were suppose to be a fringe ranked team.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) PSU: Beat the living hell out of a small school so it's hard to judge but didn't have a slow start like other BIG teams
2.) Michigan: Speight was the MVP for Florida and if it wasn't for his 2 pick sixes they would be ranked number one. I give them credit for a good road win vs a solid defensive team.
3.) Wisconsin: Defense relinquished 3 points on the first drive of about 50 yards due to penalties and adjusting to high tempo. The TD came from the new center who had a butt fumble at UW ten yard line. After that Badgers dominated like I've never seen before with 59 straight unanswered points from late in the second Q and beyond.
4.) OSU: Struggled mightily with the WR's of Indiana and were losing in the second half but started getting to the QB and the speedy RB's were too much for Indiana in the end. OSU seems to lack a passing game and a secondary this year.
5.) Maryland: Very impressive dominant win over Texas. Their recruiting has drastically improved and it was displayed yesterday at Texass. Even their backup QB was outstanding. This team is the dark horse right now.
6.) Purdue: Yes they lost but like the Michigan QB they hurt themselves with 2 int's and despite the two int's they were winning in the middle of the 4th Q vs a top 20 team. Cleanup the turnovers and this team could be a dangerous offense.
7.) Iowa: They actually didn't choke vs the small school. They started off slow but the final score looks decent.
8.) Tie between Northwestern and Nebraska: Both were equally unimpressive but pulled away late in their games vs smaller schools. I thought these teams were supposed to be the challengers to Wisconsin.
9.) MSU: I wouldn't say they're back but they might be better than the dreadful season they had last year.
10.) Indiana: Competed with OSU is enough to justify them at least here.
11.) Rutgers: Competed with the Huskies early on and weren't destroyed quite as badly as people thought they would be.
12.) Illinois: A fluke win vs a trash team. Lovie is the worst coach in this conference.

I was very impressed with Maryland, Indiana and Purdue. Wisconsin, Michigan and PSU performed as expected. I was let down by Illinois, Nebraska and Northwestern and just glad Iowa hasn't choked yet.