• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G West is definitely playing 2nd fiddle to the B1G East, has been from the start of the Divisions, but the B1G West is comparing favorably to other Divisions in the P5.

With 14 Top 25 finishes in the last 7 years, that puts them ahead of several P5 divisions.

tied 7th - Pac South with 7.
tied 7th - ACC Coastal with 7.
6th - Pac North with 10.
5th - ACC Atlantic with 12.
TIED 3RD - B1G WEST WITH 14.
tied 3rd - SEC East with 14.
2nd - B1G East with 21.
1st - SEC West with 22.

SEC East wins the tie breaker having more Top Tens than the B1G West.

8th - ACC Coastal has ZERO Top Tens the last 7 years.
7th - Pac South has just ONE.
tied for 5th - Pac North and B1G West have 5 each.
4th - SEC East has 7.
3rd - ACC Atlantic has 8.
2nd - SEC West with 12.
1st - B1G East with 14.

So the B1G may not be pulling in the most Natl Titles, but it's tied with the SEC for the most Top Ten's at 19, and just one shy of matching the SEC in # of Top 25 ranked teams over the last 7 seasons, and I'd like to think that has as much to do with the West getting better as it does the East getting better overall and catching up to OSU some. I've tracked the West's Recruiting rankings and for the most part, they seem to be improving steadily for at least 5 of the West's teams. Now the above includes this season, so both Minnesota and Wisconsin could move up into the Top 25 before they meet up to finish their regular seasons, possibly with their game deciding who meets up with the East's Champ?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G West is definitely playing 2nd fiddle to the B1G East, has been from the start of the Divisions, but the B1G West is comparing favorably to other Divisions in the P5.

With 14 Top 25 finishes in the last 7 years, that puts them ahead of several P5 divisions.

tied 7th - Pac South with 7.
tied 7th - ACC Coastal with 7.
6th - Pac North with 10.
5th - ACC Atlantic with 12.
TIED 3RD - B1G WEST WITH 14.
tied 3rd - SEC East with 14.
2nd - B1G East with 21.
1st - SEC West with 22.

SEC East wins the tie breaker having more Top Tens than the B1G West.

8th - ACC Coastal has ZERO Top Tens the last 7 years.
7th - Pac South has just ONE.
tied for 5th - Pac North and B1G West have 5 each.
4th - SEC East has 7.
3rd - ACC Atlantic has 8.
2nd - SEC West with 12.
1st - B1G East with 14.

So the B1G may not be pulling in the most Natl Titles, but it's tied with the SEC for the most Top Ten's at 19, and just one shy of matching the SEC in # of Top 25 ranked teams over the last 7 seasons, and I'd like to think that has as much to do with the West getting better as it does the East getting better overall and catching up to OSU some. I've tracked the West's Recruiting rankings and for the most part, they seem to be improving steadily for at least 5 of the West's teams. Now the above includes this season, so both Minnesota and Wisconsin could move up into the Top 25 before they meet up to finish their regular seasons, possibly with their game deciding who meets up with the East's Champ?

Its not as much a matter of having top 15 to 25ish teams in the BIG West as it's having a at least one top 10 team to be a respectable opponent in the championship game.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not as much a matter of having top 15 to 25ish teams in the BIG West as it's having a at least one top 10 team to be a respectable opponent in the championship game.
Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern have all finished seasons ranked among the Top Ten the last 7 years, Wisconsin did it twice.

If Iowa recovers and gets back into the Top Ten this season, that would be all 4 making Top Ten in the last 5 years.

That's 5 of the last 7 seasons. Granted some may not have moved up into the Top Ten until after the won their bowl games, but it takes time for an entire Division to start to garner the respect say SEC teams get just for being in the SEC.

If Iowa can keep Ferentz alive and well, or can replace him with a top coaching prospect, then the West should continue to improve as Iowa/UW/UMn/Purdue all have good coaches, Nebraska could have a good coach, they come so close so often, maybe they are just one stellar recruit away from breaking through under Frost? Otherwise I can't imagine Nebraska skimping if they opt to replace Frost. Fitz can still put together a decent team enough to keep them in the mix on occasion. Not sure what's going on in Illinois?

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have found greatdayne on a gopher board

he stopped showing up after I asked if he used to be on the hoop

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern have all finished seasons ranked among the Top Ten the last 7 years, Wisconsin did it twice.

If Iowa recovers and gets back into the Top Ten this season, that would be all 4 making Top Ten in the last 5 years.

That's 5 of the last 7 seasons. Granted some may not have moved up into the Top Ten until after the won their bowl games, but it takes time for an entire Division to start to garner the respect say SEC teams get just for being in the SEC.

If Iowa can keep Ferentz alive and well, or can replace him with a top coaching prospect, then the West should continue to improve as Iowa/UW/UMn/Purdue all have good coaches, Nebraska could have a good coach, they come so close so often, maybe they are just one stellar recruit away from breaking through under Frost? Otherwise I can't imagine Nebraska skimping if they opt to replace Frost. Fitz can still put together a decent team enough to keep them in the mix on occasion. Not sure what's going on in Illinois?
I know its been lopsided........ but the west has some historically great programs that have just been down unfortunately.

Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa should be powerhouses for the most part. With Minn. and Purdue being respectable.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know its been lopsided........ but the west has some historically great programs that have just been down unfortunately.

Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa should be powerhouses for the most part. With Minn. and Purdue being respectable.
Wisc kind of has been a powerhouse, at least in the division. Ferentz is a great coach, but he's getting old. Not sure why Nebraska has struggled as they have?

Minnesota should be more than respectable. They've invested over 500 million into just facilities since Glen Mason got hired back in the mid-late 90s.

Add to that snagging and keeping Fleck. My favorite thing about Fleck is no scandals or issues with players and their grades/grad rates have gone up