• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Big arm, big power, can’t reach base for squat”

It seems like we have too many of these types on the roster already JD.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keuchel off the board.........White Sox 3 yrs $55.5 M

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, I wouldn’t get too hung up on WAR in general when differences are relatively close. There are too many formulas and variables that can go into those calculations. It is non-standardized. (Large differences such as a 5.0 vs 2.0 can be useful though).

Odor has always made a lot of errors and he strikes out a lot (contributing to a lower batting average) and I think that’s where the frustration lies. But he was 3rd in doubles and HR’s and 1st in RBI’s for all AL second baseman. How is that ‘flat-out unusable’?

I believe this is why (at least up until now) that Ranger management likes him and it’s because he can hit the ball hard.

You seem way too preoccupied with power stats. Power numbers mean next to nothing if, like many others on here have pointed out, those numbers come along with an insane number of outs made (many of which are made in critical situations). Just because a guy hits home runs doesn’t make him useable. If he’s committing errors all over the field and costing his team a bunch of runs, and if he’s striking out with the bases loaded on balls in the dirt and over his head, he’s hurting his team. The runs he produces with his doubles and home runs, as you say, don’t come anywhere NEAR making up for the runs he’s single-handedly costing his team. So that’s why he’s unusable. He’s a negative player in every aspect- negative in that he has less value than a replacement-level player, and negative in that he hurts his team’s run differential.

How anyone can defend Rougned Odor is mind-boggling. There are too many articles to even count... written by very respected writers, I might add... available on Google that specifically talk about how bad of a player Odor was in 2019 and how much he hurt the team.

And it’s not that Ranger management “likes him”. They’re mandating he gets playing time because they signed him to a big contract and they don’t want that money sitting on the bench for 162 games a year.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem way too preoccupied with power stats. Power numbers mean next to nothing if, like many others on here have pointed out, those numbers come along with an insane number of outs made (many of which are made in critical situations). Just because a guy hits home runs doesn’t make him useable. If he’s committing errors all over the field and costing his team a bunch of runs, and if he’s striking out with the bases loaded on balls in the dirt and over his head, he’s hurting his team. The runs he produces with his doubles and home runs, as you say, don’t come anywhere NEAR making up for the runs he’s single-handedly costing his team. So that’s why he’s unusable. He’s a negative player in every aspect- negative in that he has less value than a replacement-level player, and negative in that he hurts his team’s run differential.

How anyone can defend Rougned Odor is mind-boggling. There are too many articles to even count... written by very respected writers, I might add... available on Google that specifically talk about how bad of a player Odor was in 2019 and how much he hurt the team.

And it’s not that Ranger management “likes him”. They’re mandating he gets playing time because they signed him to a big contract and they don’t want that money sitting on the bench for 162 games a year.

it really isn’t fair to the fan base to force them to watch odor every stinkin day.

To an extent, we don’t care if he has his contract because it’s not our money, but don’t insult our intelligence by running him out there every night while saying he’s the best player available.

jD might regret that he acquired solak if ( when) Odor shits the bed again. Management should at least do right by the fans by either trading Odor or buying him out.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I’m not defending him and agree he stunk it up pretty good last year.

Mandating his playing time makes no sense.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The power from what I read has to do with playing in the Pacific Coast League where the ball was juiced and HRs on the upswing in that league.
That's true. He was tied for 9th in HR in a 16 team league though.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not defending him and agree he stunk it up pretty good last year.

Mandating his playing time makes no sense.

I agree 100%. But it does happen, and not just within the Rangers organization, and not just within baseball either. Ownership groups and GM’s sign guys for ridiculous amounts of money and then don’t like seeing their millions rotting on the bench, no matter how bad they’ve been.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bit of a stretch to say last year was year of critical situations

We would be remiss though to point out that he was one of many Rangers who had bad years. Only Gallo, Pence, Santana, Calhoun and Solak had good OPS over 800. The whole infield stunk it up and as a whole worse than Odor. We got rid of DDJ and moved Mazara who still has talent but we still have a whole infield that did not produce last year.

For the record Odor also led the team with Gallo in a great but shortened year in walks/RBIs. This is a good trend. A lot of his recoupment is due to Odors great close out of the year.

Point is there is plenty of blame to share if that is what you are dishing out. FYI not just singling you out

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow up point

The good question to ask is if we had a top notch IF and it was between Solak and Odor, who gets 2B? But the question is currently irrelevant because the Rangers aren't this as of now.

So to me given Odor upside, I would not shoot him to the moon immediately. .......That being said conversely it would be bad policy to just pencil in Odor especially if there is no justifiable plan to get Solak regular playing time. He deserves a shot.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Follow up point

The good question to ask is if we had a top notch IF and it was between Solak and Odor, who gets 2B? But the question is currently irrelevant because the Rangers aren't this as of now.

So to me given Odor upside, I would not shoot him to the moon immediately. .......That being said conversely it would be bad policy to just pencil in Odor especially if there is no justifiable plan to get Solak regular playing time. He deserves a shot.
no but I would shoot him to Colorado if that one trade scenario for Arenado was accepted

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let you see where all of that free spending on FAs gets you...

The best and worst free-agent signings of the decade for all 30 teams

:dhd::dhd::dhd:

S.F. Giants:

Tl56Z2H.png

Funny 'cos it's true...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said conversely it would be bad policy to just pencil in Odor especially if there is no justifiable plan to get Solak regular playing time. He deserves a shot.

He will be given a chance to play some OF I'd guess mainly as a platoon with Willie, DH and maybe as a platoon with Odor and/or Guzman. I realize he's never played 1B and is a little on the short side for the position but you never know, guess we'll find out come ST...