• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Terrell Owens a Hall of Fame snub?

Should Terrell Owens have been voted into the Hall of Fame in 2016?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if he did "cause more bad than good", whenever he was available there was a line of teams out the door to pay this guy a ton of cash for the privilige.

Why you ask? Because of the HALL OF FAME production.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you have no problem that T.O. is the first and only player, to be judged by his character and not his field play?

Its not his character per se I have an issue with. However you wanna define it or label it though. TO was an ingredient that was a toxic mix to team chemistry. And the new guard, (Mooch/Steve Young) either didn't see it or ignored it until it became too late. The old guard (Walsh/Montana/Lott/Rice) wouldn't of stood for the shit TO pulled imo.

old1rish said:
My problem with this is simple. You mention his "fuck ups" and the "kaos" he caused, none of it was really that big of a deal. He never had a Ray Rice incident. He sure isn't an O.J. Simpson. What did he do that was bad? He celebrated a lot and talked a lot. Sure, it polarized the locker rooms at times. Yes, he was an annoying presence from many fans' perspective. But how does that translate to him not being given an accolade he has earned with his job performance? This isn't a situation that you can say "well, he's done all of that but he's a terrible human being." Nobody here knows Terrell Owens as a person. All we know is what the media portrayed, which is hardly a reliable source for such situations. I found T.O. to be loud-mouthed and annoying like everyone else. But I'm not letting that supersede the resume he built over his 15 years. He has earned the right to be in the Hall of Fame before Marvin Harrison. Having a big mouth is not sound reasoning for such a big decision.

First off, bringing OJ into this is, well, lets just say it going down the wrong road. Due to the facts that OJ retired from the NFL in 1979, was inducted into the Hall in 1985 and went on trial in 1994 for the murders of his Nicole and Ron Goldman. He doesn't belong in this conversation in any shape, form or fashion. Far as Ray Rice, his moment cost him his job as a Baltimore Raven RB and even if it wouldn't of. I doubt Rice, even before he fell off production-wise, would've ever been a candidate for the Hall.

I don't know or care if TO's a terrible being. You'll get no argument from me if you were to say the Hall has its share of terrible human beings in it. TO was a terrible teammate and that's where my issues lie with him. But if you don't believe all the ruckus TO kicked up in Frisco with Mooch and Garcia. Or with McNabb, Reid and the Philly OC in Philly. Or that Bills Parcells wanted nothing whatsoever to do with him in Dallas, but was overruled by Jerry Jones. As well as being suspended during the season by 2 HCs (Mooch/Reid) for his conduct or what he said on record. Had no negative effect or fallout far as what happened on the football field. And despite his tremendous talent and production was shown the door after 3 seasons or less in all these places. I don't know what to tell you, homey.

I saw someone claim TO had more drops than any WR in the NFL or NFL history. I dunno about that, but he did have his share of drops no doubt. Though far as percentage of drops to total catches go his drop % wasn't crazy or anything for the 3 years I bothered to look. He did become quite the alligator arm WR from my recollection as his career progressed, bu tmaybe I'm just outright hatin now.

Dropped Passes: 2000 NFL Season -

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's the "Hell mothafuckin nah he shouldn't of been voted into the Hall on the first ballot!" option?
You can simply vote no on the current poll. IMO he was snubbed, and I hate the guy. Off the field he was an ass, but on it there's not many better.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At a certain point, you have to ask, Did T.O. make teams better? .....TEAM that is....He never really helped THE COWBOYS,Eagles.......He may have gotten Steve Mariucci fired. T.O. dropped more passes than anyone in the history of pro football. And he cared more about the T.O. brand than the TEAM Jersey he was wearing.
And with me being a DALLAS COWBOY FAN, he made the mistake of going and standing on the STAR.
EMMITT SMITH and George Teague had an answer for that.

Do you have a link proving that he's the all time leader in drops?

I'd like to see some context with that, like drop % compared to other heavily targeted receivers.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Rice had issues with drops early in his career.

Then he started cheating (stickum).

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have a link proving that he's the all time leader in drops?

I'd like to see some context with that, like drop % compared to other heavily targeted receivers.

It's going to be hard to find. They didn't officially keep drop passes as a stat till the early 2000s. TO was top 5 each season for most of his career. That includes RBs & TEs. If I remember correctly, he has the record for most drops in a single season, 17. He also has a mediocre catch % compared to other elite WR.

The only WRs I remember being consistently in the top 5 for drops was Dexter Jackson, Braylon Edwards, & Marvin Harrison. But those guys were only there for 2-3 years & in Harrison's case, he was being target 50+ more times that Owens.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No..... The guy is an asshole, it's a shame he couldn't understand the concept of "team first"
maybe he should've stuck with basketball he would of been a perfect fit in today's NBA

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hall of Fame isn't awarded for being a nice guy.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can simply vote no on the current poll. IMO he was snubbed, and I hate the guy. Off the field he was an ass, but on it there's not many better.

I thought I had voted already.

Do you believe any of TO's issues ever bled over or were carried onto the field of play? He was an ass off the field, on the sidelines, during the game.

I watched his Its a Football Life segment of his and what a crock of shit. Trying to put shit on his grandma with that "my grandma told me to always tell the truth." bullshit. Did she tell him to act like a butthurt, triflin, lil bitch. Every time someone didn't jump on your tip by not co-signing everything you said or did? Was he telling the truth about Garcia? Was he "praising God" the second time he went to the star?

After watching that. I hope he doesn't get in next year.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hall of Fame isn't awarded for being a nice guy.

Sure it is. The voting process is all subjective. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be voting. So for some, being a nice can be a requirement.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it is. The voting process is all subjective. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be voting. So for some, being a nice can be a requirement.

Well the voters can vote for whatever reason they want. But being a nice guy hasn't been a standard in the past certainly. Lots of douche bags in the Hall.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I had voted already.

Do you believe any of TO's issues ever bled over or were carried onto the field of play? He was an ass off the field, on the sidelines, during the game.

I watched his Its a Football Life segment of his and what a crock of shit. Trying to put shit on his grandma with that "my grandma told me to always tell the truth." bullshit. Did she tell him to act like a butthurt, triflin, lil bitch. Every time someone didn't jump on your tip by not co-signing everything you said or did? Was he telling the truth about Garcia? Was he "praising God" the second time he went to the star?

After watching that. I hope he doesn't get in next year.
I see TO as a complete ass, but on the field he was great. I try not to let HOW I feel about a player cloud my judgment on his HOF credentials.
I see him a a sure HOF'r but I won't complain about him being in or not.
I do think is BS that some players are passed over because of how the media (voters) like the guy or not.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be hard to find. They didn't officially keep drop passes as a stat till the early 2000s. TO was top 5 each season for most of his career. That includes RBs & TEs. If I remember correctly, he has the record for most drops in a single season, 17. He also has a mediocre catch % compared to other elite WR.

The only WRs I remember being consistently in the top 5 for drops was Dexter Jackson, Braylon Edwards, & Marvin Harrison. But those guys were only there for 2-3 years & in Harrison's case, he was being target 50+ more times that Owens.

I know he has the most drops in a season. But drop rate over his career compared to other receivers is what I want to see if someone is going to use that to keep him out because he was always heavily targeted for every team he played on.

As far as the catch rate, 63% is not bad compared to most of his contemporaries. It's better than Moss (57%), Holt (59%), Megatron (56%), Wayne (59%) and Andre Johnson (61%).

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the catch rate, 63% is not bad compared to most of his contemporaries. It's better than Moss (57%), Holt (59%), Megatron (56%), Wayne (59%) and Andre Johnson (61%
stats like this are dangerous when forming an opinion regarding quality of play.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he has the most drops in a season. But drop rate over his career compared to other receivers is what I want to see if someone is going to use that to keep him out because he was always heavily targeted for every team he played on.

As far as the catch rate, 63% is not bad compared to most of his contemporaries. It's better than Moss (57%), Holt (59%), Megatron (56%), Wayne (59%) and Andre Johnson (61%).

This is the closest thing I found. It's a 3 year drop rate from 2009-2011.

Three Years of Drop Rate: Wide Receivers

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you believe any of TO's issues ever bled over or were carried onto the field of play?

without question!!!

Owens will get in, but if any player deserves a waiting period it's this all about me player.
Sorry....forever a TEAM Sport and Owens was pure cancer to anything team

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without question!!!

Owens will get in, but if any player deserves a waiting period it's this all about me player.
Sorry....forever a TEAM Sport and Owens was pure cancer to anything team

Yeah he was, great talent , bad team player....

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T.O was a freak at his position. TE size, chiseled and competitive. Decent hands, ok route runner. Pussied out on occasion. Still a heck of a player and will be in canton soon.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I found that too. Doesn't tell us too much though since it was just over his last couple years.

I think it falls in line with his career numbers. He was mostly right at the top for drop passes year in & year out. And he was playing with better QBs later in his career.