• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Terrell Owens a Hall of Fame snub?

Should Terrell Owens have been voted into the Hall of Fame in 2016?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a while since the 2016 Hall of Fame class was named, but I haven't seen a thread regarding this topic yet. Terrell Owens was denied entry into the Hall of Fame after an apparently long debate during the voting process. The voters cited his locker room presence as the main reason for him being denied first ballot entry. I believe this to be poor reasoning for such a move. Here is Terrell Owens' resume:

• 6th All-Time in career receptions (1,078)
  • 2nd All-Time in career receiving yards (15,934)
  • 3rd All-Time in career receiving touchdowns (153)
  • Played 15 seasons for five separate franchises (SF, PHI, DAL, BUF, CIN)
  • 6-Time Pro Bowler
  • 5-Time First-Team All-Pro

He's top 3 in two of the three major receiving categories. He did all of this with the likes of Donovan McNabb throwing him the ball. I believe that keeping a player with this resume and no major off-field issues out of the Hall of Fame is ridiculous. Please understand that I'm not a T.O. fan by any means. I once yelled insults at him from the stands of Heinz Field while my team came back to beat the Cowboys in December of '08. He was loud-mouthed and showy, which are two things I'm not a big fan of in regards to professional athletes. But his body of work suggests he deserves to be a first-ballot Hall of Fame inductee.

Hall of Fame voter explains why Terrell Owens was kept out of Canton

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He will get in eventually but he should have already been voted in. The voters are bitter old men that hate their lives and didn't like the way TO carried himself throughout his career.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's the "Hell mothafuckin nah he shouldn't of been voted into the Hall on the first ballot!" option?

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He will get in eventually but he should have already been voted in. The voters are bitter old men that hate their lives and didn't like the way TO carried himself throughout his career.
Yeah, I'm not arguing whether he's a Hall of Fame player or not. That's quite evident. I just think it's laughable that Marvin Harrison was voted in before him.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The voters cited his locker room presence as the main reason for him being denied first ballot entry.

You are right that his accomplishments are first ballot worthy, but I have no problem with that ^ explanation for why he'll have to wait a year or so.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it matter, he will get in and deservedly so.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
youre on drugs

So what.

Fuck T.O. He'll get in eventually, but he ran his mouth too damn much, was a selfish dickhead who never took responsibility for his fuck ups, but had no calling out other players or coaches, and blew up too many teams.

For as talented and productive as he was. You knew, and if you didn't you were an idiot, that eventually his ego or insecurity or maybe the fact that it was Tuesday. Would eventually lead to him damn near tearing a team a part and him kickin rocks.

The year after JR left Frisco and TO was the unquestioned #1 WR. He petty much immediately became an insufferable diva and a dickhead. He was or would become arguably the best WR in football, but from 2001 to 2010 he payed for 5 teams and never stayed with a team longer than 3 seasons. His kaos would always and eventually trump his talent.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right that his accomplishments are first ballot worthy, but I have no problem with that ^ explanation for why he'll have to wait a year or so.

So, you have no problem that T.O. is the first and only player, to be judged by his character and not his field play?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what.

Fuck T.O. He'll get in eventually, but he ran his mouth too damn much, was a selfish dickhead who never took responsibility for his fuck ups, but had no calling out other players or coaches, and blew up too many teams.

For as talented and productive as he was. You knew, and if you didn't you were an idiot, that eventually his ego or insecurity or maybe the fact that it was Tuesday. Would eventually lead to him damn near tearing a team a part and him kickin rocks.

The year after JR left Frisco and TO was the unquestioned #1 WR. He petty much immediately became an insufferable diva and a dickhead. He was or would become arguably the best WR in football, but from 2001 to 2010 he payed for 5 teams and never stayed with a team longer than 3 seasons. His kaos would always and eventually trump his talent.

So you want to talk about the other HOF players that had character problems?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it matter, he will get in and deservedly so.

I think it does matter.

The best players are supposed to get in. The best of the best are supposed to get in 1st ballot. TO IMO was the best of the best of the best. There is only one guy in his generation whose even comparable (Moss).

Its a lame morality play from the same exact turds that would follow TO around like puppies waiting for crumbs to fall in the form of soundbits.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you have no problem that T.O. is the first and only player, to be judged by his character and not his field play?

I suspect that your question is based on a false premise, but if you know for a fact that character has never been a factor for any player whose ever been considered, then I defer to your unusually informed opinion. :thumb:

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just crazy how T.O. is being judged by his character and not his on-field play. You got dudes with criminal records in the HOF. These voters took it personal because they don't like T.O. Is that what we want from voters? Should coaches in college vote certain teams low because that team is classless? Voters are going by what they heard in reports concerning T.O. and not actual proven facts. Lets not forget, that plenty of players were on T.O. side in most of the situations. So who is to say he was wrong or right?

The point is, don't hold T.O. to some special criteria.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is a dick, he deserves to have to wait a year. But strictly by the numbers, he is a first ballot hall of famer.

If had a vote, I wouldn't vote for him till either the logjam at the position is clear or Irving Fryer was voted in.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what.

My problem with this is simple. You mention his "fuck ups" and the "kaos" he caused, none of it was really that big of a deal. He never had a Ray Rice incident. He sure isn't an O.J. Simpson. What did he do that was bad? He celebrated a lot and talked a lot. Sure, it polarized the locker rooms at times. Yes, he was an annoying presence from many fans' perspective. But how does that translate to him not being given an accolade he has earned with his job performance? This isn't a situation that you can say "well, he's done all of that but he's a terrible human being." Nobody here knows Terrell Owens as a person. All we know is what the media portrayed, which is hardly a reliable source for such situations. I found T.O. to be loud-mouthed and annoying like everyone else. But I'm not letting that supersede the resume he built over his 15 years. He has earned the right to be in the Hall of Fame before Marvin Harrison. Having a big mouth is not sound reasoning for such a big decision.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Of course he was snubbed. He's one of the 5 best receivers of all time.

Michael Irvin was never even close to as dominant as TO was.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's a snub. But the NFL HOF process has always been sketchy.... team accomplishments being given far too much weight for one.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At a certain point, you have to ask, Did T.O. make teams better? .....TEAM that is....He never really helped THE COWBOYS,Eagles.......He may have gotten Steve Mariucci fired. T.O. dropped more passes than anyone in the history of pro football. And he cared more about the T.O. brand than the TEAM Jersey he was wearing.
And with me being a DALLAS COWBOY FAN, he made the mistake of going and standing on the STAR.
EMMITT SMITH and George Teague had an answer for that.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate that prick and hope he never gets in. He has the numbers. If that is all the HOF is about then let him in . He has done more damage to teams then any good and has no rings. I do agree about others getting in and not TO but this is just my grudge against that asshole. Voting no.