• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sure do miss that BE money

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite what you said, but whatever.

104 years manufactured???? yeah right. Per Myron Cope back when I was in school, all three teams played one another, he said that sPitt had strong rivalries with both PSU and WVU, and they most wanted to beat Paterno, but most hated to lose to WVU, THAT is a rivalry, the very fact that the game has a name that is known nationwide means rivalry. Quit trying to belittle the past.

THAT is what I said, try again, Mad............

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Largest Crowds[edit]
Rank Attendance Date Game result
1 70,222 Nov. 20, 1993 #9 West Virginia 17, #4 Miami 14
2 68,938 Sept 30, 1989 #9 West Virginia 31, #10 Pitt 31
3 68,409 Sept 5, 1998 #11 West Virginia 17, #1 Ohio State 34
4 68,041 Aug 31, 1991 West Virginia 3, Pitt 34
5 67,715 Nov 15, 2003 West Virginia 52, #16 Pitt 31
6 66,948 Oct 26, 1996 #12 West Virginia 7, #25 Miami 10
7 66,811 Oct 29, 1988 #7 West Virginia 51, Penn State 30
8 66,663 Oct 24, 1992 West Virginia 26, #14 Penn State 40
9 66,461 Nov 3, 1990 West Virginia 19, #24 Penn State 31
10 66,015 Sept 16, 1989 #12 West Virginia 45, South Carolina 21

Pitt and Penn State were clearly our biggest rivals in the past. Look at Miami though. By attendance at least, it was always a bigger game than Pitt. Why, they were dominant in the conference, always highly ranked, and at the time I hated them as much or more as sPitt. I hate Kellen Winslow much more than Dan Marino as I am sure many on this board agree. Miami was a new addition to the BE, but they became a big rival who in my mind, overtook Pitt and PSU. If we win, we will get the rivals. Texas and OU are everyones rival in the B12 because they dominate the conference. Guess what, we are starting to develop that rivalry with Texas. Nobody else in the conference is undefeated at Texas stadium. Overtime last year. Great games will make for great rivalries.

Texas stadium largest attendance

Rank Date Attendance Opponent Texas result
1 October 6, 2012 101,851 #8 West Virginia L, 45-48
2 September 3, 2011 101,624 Rice W, 34-9
3 September 14, 2013 101,474 #25 Ole Miss L, 23-44
4 September 25, 2010 101,437 UCLA L, 12-34
5 November 21, 2009 101,357 Kansas W, 51-20
6 October 20, 2012 101,353 Baylor W, 56-50
7 September 11, 2010 101,339 Wyoming W, 34-7
8 September 19, 2009 101,297 Texas Tech W, 34-24
9 October 10, 2009 101,152 Colorado W, 38-14
10 September 26, 2009 101,144 UTEP W, 64-7

It is a weird list of teams on that Texas list, No TAM, no Nebraska, no OSU, and they play OU at neutral site. that is a list of OOC schools, and the dregs of the B12, wonder what gives?

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the days of VT, sPITT, Miami, BC, Cuse, Louisville, and even Cinci, and SF.The rest not so much.But them days have been gone for a long time. I'm glad we didn't go down with the ship. Why would Luck have ever turned down the Big12 invite? Anyone in their right mind would have done the same thing.

I really don't think the ACC would have invited us had Louisville have gotten the Big12 invite. That we will never know for sure, but who would have taken the risk of turning down the Big12 when we accepted? That would have been real stupid.

I think as time passes, we will have rivalries in the Big12. I know I like playing Texas, TT, Kansas State, OK/state, ect. everyone in the Big 12 is a good opponent, except Kansas in Football. Hell they beat us this year. I like where we are at. The travel wasn't very much better in the big east some years, and our travel now is no worse then the AAC is and we would have been doing that gig for about 3 million a year vs 26 million.

The ACC wouldn't have been a bad place to end up, but I don't think the cultural fit would have been as good as it is in the Big12. We would have always been looked down upon in the ACC. I really don't think they would of ever invited us.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UCONN ever gets an ACC invite then that would have been when we would of. I think the ACC would take us over UCONN because of when UCONN sued them. We are looked down upon by the ACC.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UCONN ever gets an ACC invite then that would have been when we would of. I think the ACC would take us over UCONN because of when UCONN sued them. We are looked down upon by the ACC.

WVU, Pitt, and SU were all part of the suit against the ACC.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU, Pitt, and SU were all part of the suit against the ACC.

Yes, UCONN was the one who filed the suit if my memory serves me right. They were also the one who raised the most stink. I think it had something to do with BC.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, UCONN was the one who filed the suit if my memory serves me right. They were also the one who raised the most stink. I think it had something to do with BC.

I remember something was leaked a couple of years ago involving the president of BC and remarks about UConn and wanting them left out of the ACC. The leaks also implemented ESPN.

The University of Maryland has filed suit against the ACC. It has issued a subpoena to several current ACC schools. The Maryland president believes it will link a trail.

It will be interesting to see how their suit is resolved.

I don't think there is anyone but DAD who believes that WVU was set to receive an invitation to join the ACC.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember something was leaked a couple of years ago involving the president of BC and remarks about UConn and wanting them left out of the ACC. The leaks also implemented ESPN.

The University of Maryland has filed suit against the ACC. It has issued a subpoena to several current ACC schools. The Maryland president believes it will link a trail.

It will be interesting to see how their suit is resolved.

I don't think there is anyone but DAD who believes that WVU was set to receive an invitation to join the ACC.

BB, who would they have asked then? When Maryland left they were almost as desperate as the B12 was when they invited us. At the time UMD bailed on the BE, who would the ACC invited over WVU? The very fact that they invited UL, which is almost identical to WVU in every way tells the answer. They were not going to get an SEC or B11 team, leaving the BE schools and mid majors, WVU, Temple, USF, UConn, WVU wins and gets that invite, HANDS DOWN!

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, who would they have asked then? When Maryland left they were almost as desperate as the B12 was when they invited us. At the time UMD bailed on the BE, who would the ACC invited over WVU? The very fact that they invited UL, which is almost identical to WVU in every way tells the answer. They were not going to get an SEC or B11 team, leaving the BE schools and mid majors, WVU, Temple, USF, UConn, WVU wins and gets that invite, HANDS DOWN!

Lets say for the sake of arguing, that if we had still been available, the ACC would have invited us, would it have made any since at the time that we got the invite to turn down the Big12 invite? No one knew what was going to transpire, and the look at the time was that all expansion was going to quit. I think I remember Louisville getting their senator involved as they were afraid they were going to be the team on the outside looking in.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a weird list of teams on that Texas list, No TAM, no Nebraska, no OSU, and they play OU at neutral site. that is a list of OOC schools, and the dregs of the B12, wonder what gives?

Our renovation to DKR stadium wasn't complete until 2009, which expanded our seating capacity to 100K +. We never got to play NU at DKR after the renovation b/c the Corn Holers picked up their skirts and ran to an easier conference so they could compete better, otherwise, had NU stayed in the Big 12, I'm pretty sure that game would have easily been one of the highest attended. The official count against Aggy in 2010 was 100,752, but not surprised it wasn't a sellout seeing how we were dogshit that year and finished 5-7. That was the only time we played Aggy at DKR after the expansion.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets say for the sake of arguing, that if we had still been available, the ACC would have invited us, would it have made any since at the time that we got the invite to turn down the Big12 invite? No one knew what was going to transpire, and the look at the time was that all expansion was going to quit. I think I remember Louisville getting their senator involved as they were afraid they were going to be the team on the outside looking in.

It was more of Luck and Manchin on their knees in front of Beebe than a call to invite us, then when word got out that WVU was to be invited, Mitch McConnell joined them on his knees, Beebe then gave the invite to Luck and Manchin, they must have done a better job while on their knees than Mitch did.....

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT is what I said, try again, Mad............

Not referring to that, but whatever. Let's just say you're correct again.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was more of Luck and Manchin on their knees in front of Beebe than a call to invite us, then when word got out that WVU was to be invited, Mitch McConnell joined them on his knees, Beebe then gave the invite to Luck and Manchin, they must have done a better job while on their knees than Mitch did.....

So you are saying it took a good blowjob to get into the Big 12. And I thought King and Sleepy were moronic for infantile statements.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not referring to that, but whatever. Let's just say you're correct again.

????????? you make no sense, all you do is see what I post and respond negatively with no regard to what I said. The reference I made to PSU was that even after 20 years they have no rivals in the B11

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
????????? you make no sense, all you do is see what I post and respond negatively with no regard to what I said. The reference I made to PSU was that even after 20 years they have no rivals in the B11

As I mentioned, whatever.

Check yourself on the 'responding negatively' category. If somebody disagrees with you, they are either 'pouring piss' or attacking you. You always write in a way to attempt to leave yourself an out, knowing that when you have been called out on something, you can use your ' I didn't say that' while knowing that is what you meant. It is perfectly alright for you to belittle somebody for supporting the AD or HC, but heaven forbid if somebody disagrees with you.

Once again, do you think that our entry into the Big 12 was solidified over blow jobs? Is this fact? You did write this, correct?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mutual desperation, the B12 needed ten teams quickly, WVU (AND TCU AND UL) needed to get in a conference that mattered as quick as possible. Do you think UL and Mitch would have said "thanks but no thanks B12, we are waiting on the ACC"?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is WVU a loser in conference shuffling?  - Todays column - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

While the dust settles, WVU is being called the Biggest Loser, especially in regard to geography. Fine columnist Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman newspaper was one to place the label and said "the Mountaineers appear stuck on an island" and that "10 years of being 878 miles from your nearest conference member will get old."

Maybe he's correct. Yet it all boils down to one question: Had the Big 12 selected Louisville as a new member instead of West Virginia, would the ACC have then invited the Mountaineers?

One would assume the answer would have been yes. That would have placed WVU in a much more fan-friendly ACC. Away games would have been much easier drives.

On Tuesday, I asked WVU athletic director Oliver Luck about the assumption. I asked him about interest from the ACC during the Big East's effective breakup.

"There was never any indication they were interested in us despite the many times we reached out to them," Luck said on Tuesday. "There was never an indication [of interest], which is not surprising if you use history as a guide, going back to us leaving the Southern Conference.

"In the early 2000s, the ACC took in [Virginia] Tech, Boston College and Miami. There's been no indication of interest in us over the last 60 years.

"I don't know why. We made the best decision for us [to join the Big 12] under the circumstances, and I still think it was the best decision for us."

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So friggin delusional......what an asinine comment.....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mutual desperation, the B12 needed ten teams quickly, WVU (AND TCU AND UL) needed to get in a conference that mattered as quick as possible. Do you think UL and Mitch would have said "thanks but no thanks B12, we are waiting on the ACC"?

It was a bigger list than that my friend.......you could have written down the entire Big East and Conference USA.......and to some extent the Mountain West.....