• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sure do miss that BE money

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I do BB, and just maybe luck should spend some of his time addressing ridiculous schedules instead of just New ways of spending money. Tennis in the winter is just plain stupid.

:wtf2:

Luck is a pretty powerful man… but, I don't think he is that powerful.

The actual NCAA season runs from January to May. The first team matches start in January, and lead to the team championships in May, followed by the NCAA singles and doubles championships. Those are the official NCAA events.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just make it mandatory that the golf, tennis, rowing, baseball, and track teams have to be enrolled for Summer classes and start the season in late April. I bet Luck can pull that off. That way we will not have to worry about indoor facilities and the kids can play when it's 100 degrees in Texas. Don't want to raise (or is that rear) a bunch of wussies.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2:

Luck is a pretty powerful man… but, I don't think he is that powerful.

The actual NCAA season runs from January to May. The first team matches start in January, and lead to the team championships in May, followed by the NCAA singles and doubles championships. Those are the official NCAA events.

Like I said, tennis in the winter is ridiculous. Lets build an indoor golf course and play in January as well, makes just as much sense...........

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just make it mandatory that the golf, tennis, rowing, baseball, and track teams have to be enrolled for Summer classes and start the season in late April. I bet Luck can pull that off. That way we will not have to worry about indoor facilities and the kids can play when it's 100 degrees in Texas. Don't want to raise (or is that rear) a bunch of wussies.

There you go Mad, like I said, lets build the superdome and play golf, tennis, rowing,baseball and track in January inside. This is ridiculous to even contemplate winter golf, indoor winter rowing. The main problem is.... WVU is in a league 1500 miles away from home, in a completely different climate, that caters to the Texas-Oklahoma schools first, WVU, the Kansas schools and IAST have winter in January.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, tennis in the winter is ridiculous. Lets build an indoor golf course and play in January as well, makes just as much sense...........

I'm pretty sure tennis has been played indoors for awhile now. Tons of indoor tournaments on the professional circuit.

At present, WVU has an arrangement with a Morgantown indoor facility, and they've hosted matches there for years. When I was growing up in Morgantown, the tennis team practiced at the only indoor facility at the time… which was in Westover.

But, WVU is playing tennis with the cream of the crop these days, and to attract top talent… it needs to provide them with their own facility.

Thanks to Luck, WVU is in the Big 12… and the revenue chain provides him with the resources to provide his student athletes with the facilities they deserve. And, the facilities which will help build competitive teams in the future.

Wouldn't you agree DAD?

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure tennis has been played indoors for awhile now. Tons of indoor tournaments on the professional circuit.

At present, WVU has an arrangement with a Morgantown indoor facility, and they've hosted matches there for years. When I was growing up in Morgantown, the tennis team practiced at the only indoor facility at the time… which was in Westover.

But, WVU is playing tennis with the cream of the crop these days, and to attract top talent… it needs to provide them with their own facility.

Thanks to Luck, WVU is in the Big 12… and the revenue chain provides him with the resources to provide his student athletes with the facilities they deserve. And, the facilities which will help build competitive teams in the future.

Wouldn't you agree DAD?
Luck needs to update any practice or playing facility for that student athlete's sport to give them the competitive advantage against the teams they face. Although football drives the money truck, other student athletes coming to WVU should not be short changed. I'm fairly sure that there were conditions placed on Luck to have his sporting programs up to par. On top of this, I would not like to see an athlete hurt due to the AD not providing a safe practice/playing facility.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big East 6 years, $200 million, ABC/ESPN [CBS contributes $9 million of total] (through 2013)
Annual: $40 million
Average Annual per School: $3.18 million for football schools, $1.56 million for non-football schools

Notes: Big East is next conference up for renewal. Total is expected to be far below the $1.4 billion they turned down.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think the Big 12 was our best option, BUT THEY NEED TO EXPAND SOON, or you are looking at the Big East 2.

I'd like to see an immediate move to 12 schools Cincinnati being one of them. I'd say BYU is the best chip available, but would they come? If not, add UCONN. Also, adding the two Florida AAC schools would help our recruiting (USF, UCF). That would make the Big 12 a 14 school conference; and then I say dream big and go after some big boys.....Florida St, Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame. But a 10 team conference in today's college football landscape SCREAMS insecurity.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think they have to do anything yet (I want them to expand) butunless it starts hitting the wallet there is no need for expansion. Our confchamp isn't handicapped by a ten team league and in some ways the fact we playeveryone in our conference every year is a definite strength.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think the Big 12 was our best option, BUT THEY NEED TO EXPAND SOON, or you are looking at the Big East 2.

I'd like to see an immediate move to 12 schools Cincinnati being one of them. I'd say BYU is the best chip available, but would they come? If not, add UCONN. Also, adding the two Florida AAC schools would help our recruiting (USF, UCF). That would make the Big 12 a 14 school conference; and then I say dream big and go after some big boys.....Florida St, Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame. But a 10 team conference in today's college football landscape SCREAMS insecurity.

I see this idea that the Big 12 is facing the same end game as the BE all the time. Frankly, I don't get the logic. Is it simply because of the size of the Big 12? Size doesn't matter... at least that is what slaton always tells me...

To be clear, the BE was affected by what forces? One can point to the desire of the ACC to expand. However, had the basketball schools understood the driving force of revenue increases heading into the early 2000's, Miami would not have left. Miami clearly presented a model which was rejected. Once they were unhappy with the BE, last minute bargaining was too little.... too late.

The second wave of attrition from the BE was caused by what forces? Again, basketball schools rejected expansion of the conference... but, they also rejected ESPN's contract offer. When ACC officials determined they were ready to expand again, Pitt and SU were ready to go as relationships went sour following the contract negotiation drama.

So, how is the BE similar to the Big 12? The BE had no GOR. The BE had a football side and a basketball side. The BE had no lucrative TV contract. The BE had no lucrative tie-ins to big money bowl games.

As long as the Big 12 has Texas and Oklahoma... more so... Texas... it will have power... prestige... and a healthy media contract. Adding schools to the Big 12 will not sway Texas from leaving in the future if it desires. So, adding schools to the Big 12 does nothing for the conference.

If the other Power 5 conferences which play a CCG politic hard enough, they will force the Big 12 to play a CCG. The Big 12 will likely appeal to the NCAA to be permitted to do a CCG with 10 members. If it loses this appeal, it will be forced to add 2 teams.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this idea that the Big 12 is facing the same end game as the BE all the time. Frankly, I don't get the logic. Is it simply because of the size of the Big 12? Size doesn't matter... at least that is what slaton always tells me...

To be clear, the BE was affected by what forces? One can point to the desire of the ACC to expand. However, had the basketball schools understood the driving force of revenue increases heading into the early 2000's, Miami would not have left. Miami clearly presented a model which was rejected. Once they were unhappy with the BE, last minute bargaining was too little.... too late.

The second wave of attrition from the BE was caused by what forces? Again, basketball schools rejected expansion of the conference... but, they also rejected ESPN's contract offer. When ACC officials determined they were ready to expand again, Pitt and SU were ready to go as relationships went sour following the contract negotiation drama.

So, how is the BE similar to the Big 12? The BE had no GOR. The BE had a football side and a basketball side. The BE had no lucrative TV contract. The BE had no lucrative tie-ins to big money bowl games.

As long as the Big 12 has Texas and Oklahoma... more so... Texas... it will have power... prestige... and a healthy media contract. Adding schools to the Big 12 will not sway Texas from leaving in the future if it desires. So, adding schools to the Big 12 does nothing for the conference.

If the other Power 5 conferences which play a CCG politic hard enough, they will force the Big 12 to play a CCG. The Big 12 will likely appeal to the NCAA to be permitted to do a CCG with 10 members. If it loses this appeal, it will be forced to add 2 teams.

We can add to the fact that the B12 does not want to add unproven teams to the conference. WVU and TCU both did quite well on the national stage before joining the B12.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All good and true points (though size DOES matter, everyone knows that guys with the big bulges in their pants (meaning their wallet) have a distinct advantage over guys with small ones)

but I think the PERCEPTION is that Texas will ride out the Longhorn network contract (and the GOR) until it finally fails then bolt to the highest bidding conference (prob the BIG) and I guess it COULD happen but from my understanding ESPN is pushing to bundle the LHN with the SEC network. Households that have the SEC network will also be able to watch a Texas game when they find one appealing and I think that will be good for TLN as far as growth so.. I cant see them going anywhere as long as their network is doing well. With the SOS figuring into the playoff equation in the future, I can see Texas scheduling lower tier P5 teams (looking at the SEC) and putting them on a weeknight slot and the network getting a lot of eyes on it.