• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sure do miss that BE money

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.....I think rusher nailed it. I mean reason and the fact there is no more BE! :yahoo:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know one poster who thinks this way.

You are correct, BB, and I will continue to think that WVU does NOT belong in the B12. WVU is playing teams we have no interest in playing, our rivals are all in the ACC now, which WVU would be set to join had UL got the B12 spot. The game against IAST was the lowest crowd in the stadium since 1992, but we were told that part of the reason a change in leagues and coaches was to get fans in the seats. We have watched as everything that WVU sports meant was sold for more money, Luck has turned WVU into a whore, we go to neutral site games for a buck, we are told to manufacture fake rivalries for a buck, hell, Luck has even convinced some that our rivalry with sPitt had grown stale. You are right, hell with wins, hell with tradition, just leave a few bucks on the nightstand on your way out.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, BB, and I will continue to think that WVU does NOT belong in the B12. WVU is playing teams we have no interest in playing, our rivals are all in the ACC now, which WVU would be set to join had UL got the B12 spot. The game against IAST was the lowest crowd in the stadium since 1992, but we were told that part of the reason a change in leagues and coaches was to get fans in the seats. We have watched as everything that WVU sports meant was sold for more money, Luck has turned WVU into a whore, we go to neutral site games for a buck, we are told to manufacture fake rivalries for a buck, hell, Luck has even convinced some that our rivalry with sPitt had grown stale. You are right, hell with wins, hell with tradition, just leave a few bucks on the nightstand on your way out.

OU and Texas are more premier than any big east team or ACC team ever was and you get them both each year.

Want to create a rivalry with one of them all you gotta do is win some.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU and Texas are more premier than any big east team or ACC team ever was and you get them both each year.

Absolutely! Look at WVU's first road win in the Big 12. One of the largest crowds WVU had ever played in front of... One of the largest crowds in the history of DKR Memorial Stadium! That is great stuff! Last year's game in Morgantown was considered one of the best games during Mack's tenure at UT!

A lot of WVU's old rivals are playing in the FCS. I don't know of many WVU fans who miss playing Richmond, VMI and W&M these days.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You cant just manufacture a rivalry with teams that are 1500 miles away!! You cant just up and say someone is a rival, for instance, it has been 20 years, who is PSUs rival in the B11? Who is Arkansas rival in the SEC? USCe's rival in the SEC? Rivalries develop on their own, you can not force it, and while on field performance is important, close proximity is more important, Clemson-USCe, Auburn-'Bama, Texas-Oklahoma, OSU-UM, WVU-sPitt, UF-FSU-Miami, notice that they are all close, WVU will never have a "main" rival in the B12.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant just manufacture a rivalry with teams that are 1500 miles away!! You cant just up and say someone is a rival, for instance, it has been 20 years, who is PSUs rival in the B11? Who is Arkansas rival in the SEC? USCe's rival in the SEC? Rivalries develop on their own, you can not force it, and while on field performance is important, close proximity is more important, Clemson-USCe, Auburn-'Bama, Texas-Oklahoma, OSU-UM, WVU-sPitt, UF-FSU-Miami, notice that they are all close, WVU will never have a "main" rival in the B12.

Were NotreDame and Miami rivals when they played? Do they still hate each other?
The answer is yes, pretty far apart.
ND/USC?

As far as PSU depending on how it all plays out by the time we play again that could be the beginning of a very good rivalry ooc for both, time will tell.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were NotreDame and Miami rivals when they played? Do they still hate each other?
The answer is yes, pretty far apart.
ND/USC?

As far as PSU depending on how it all plays out by the time we play again that could be the beginning of a very good rivalry ooc for both, time will tell.

ND and Miami are NOT rivals, ND-USCw you might have a point, I guess 85 years from now we MIGHT have established something with one of the B12 teams, but WVU is not ND, nor is anyone in the B12.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish football rivalries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My point about PSU was that they have no rivals in the B11, not whether we establish anything with them.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who is "WE"??...or should that read "I"

And as far as the PITT rivalry...let's be honest ..it was manufactered first by WV..then by PITT "ONLY" because Penn State jumped to the BIG TEN...as far as PITT fan was concerned PENN STATE was their RILVAL game...we were an after thought!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is "WE"??...or should that read "I"

And as far as the PITT rivalry...let's be honest ..it was manufactered first by WV..then by PITT "ONLY" because Penn State jumped to the BIG TEN...as far as PITT fan was concerned PENN STATE was their RILVAL game...we were an after thought!

104 years manufactured???? yeah right. Per Myron Cope back when I was in school, all three teams played one another, he said that sPitt had strong rivalries with both PSU and WVU, and they most wanted to beat Paterno, but most hated to lose to WVU, THAT is a rivalry, the very fact that the game has a name that is known nationwide means rivalry. Quit trying to belittle the past.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most hated to lose to WVU, THAT is a rivalry, the very fact that the game has a name that is known nationwide means rivalry. Quit trying to belittle the past.

Let WVU put together a string of 3-4 years of beating a team in the Big12 and watch how hated we get. I guarantee you if we we begin to beat an OU or Texas 3 out of every four years in a stretch of 8-10 years we will have more hatred than we can shake a stick at with those fans, Pitt? Not so much, they are a basketball school, they just don't care as much now.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
104 years manufactured???? yeah right. Per Myron Cope back when I was in school, all three teams played one another, he said that sPitt had strong rivalries with both PSU and WVU, and they most wanted to beat Paterno, but most hated to lose to WVU, THAT is a rivalry, the very fact that the game has a name that is known nationwide means rivalry. Quit trying to belittle the past.

Well if Myron Cope said it..then it must be gospel!...I stand corrected!...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalries are made by big wins and big losses. We had a rival in Miami in the BE after we beat them a couple of times. The Pitt rivalry was made by several season killing wins by the other team. After 28 years of losses, we were never a rivalry team for Penn State. We play Maryland every year, but that is not so big of a rivalry. VT did not become such a big rival until they started getting good (Vick years).

If we stay in the B12 for a while, rivalries will develop once we start to take what they have or want. Beat Oklahoma or Texas 3 or 4 years in a row, or knock them out of NC consideration, rivalries will develop. If we stay at the bottom, no rivalries will form. Knocking off Oklahoma State was the first step in creating a rivalry with them. They will be pissed and up for us next year. If we beat them again, we are on our way.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalries are made by big wins and big losses. We had a rival in Miami in the BE after we beat them a couple of times. The Pitt rivalry was made by several season killing wins by the other team. After 28 years of losses, we were never a rivalry team for Penn State. We play Maryland every year, but that is not so big of a rivalry. VT did not become such a big rival until they started getting good (Vick years).

If we stay in the B12 for a while, rivalries will develop once we start to take what they have or want. Beat Oklahoma or Texas 3 or 4 years in a row, or knock them out of NC consideration, rivalries will develop. If we stay at the bottom, no rivalries will form. Knocking off Oklahoma State was the first step in creating a rivalry with them. They will be pissed and up for us next year. If we beat them again, we are on our way.

Rivalries are a two way street, OKST already has a major rival in OU, OU already has major rivals in OSU and Texas, AND if we become "rivals" with Kansas or IAST as some have suggested, then WVU football is in a sad state. Maryland is the only thing that even resembles a rival on the schedule right now.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalries are a two way street, OKST already has a major rival in OU, OU already has major rivals in OSU and Texas, AND if we become "rivals" with Kansas or IAST as some have suggested, then WVU football is in a sad state. Maryland is the only thing that even resembles a rival on the schedule right now.

Florida State has Miami AND UF, Michigan has tOSU AND Sparty, Texas has OU but lost a great rivalry game with A&M, who knows what the future holds between the Longhorns and WVU, so far I'd say its on its way to being a fantastic rivalry if the series keeps trending the way it has started. Give me a rival game with Texas ANY day over Pitt!:yahoo:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who knows what the future holds between the Longhorns and WVU, so far I'd say its on its way to being a fantastic rivalry if the series keeps trending the way it has started. Give me a rival game with Texas ANY day over Pitt!

It is not like I am happy that WVU and Pitt no longer play. But, in the big picture… you are spot on! I couldn't agree more.

The football world certainly would put much more significance on a WVU/Texas rivalry… if it developed… than any regional interest of the Backyard Brawl.

And, it ain't even close…