• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Still no takers for Kaepernick as Seattle passes on him

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how great of a throw that was. The ball was tipped. He got lucky imo
I am not saying he is a great QB but he is labeled as a 1 trick pony. In watching the TD vid, he looks left, then checks down right, then sees Boldin one on one and throws a bullet off one foot while getting pressured.
I'm not sure if it was tipped, but if it was the velocity caused a tip to be ineffective.
He was a monster in that game until halftime adjustments by Seattle turned the tide.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People use and misuse game manager and system quarterback way too much, but somewhere in there is part of your explanation.

Under harbs in his first couple of seasons Kaep was able to use his speed to offset his inability to read through progressions and make good throwing decisions under pressure. The read zone was the flavor of the month. He, RGIII, and Wilson gave plenty of defenses fits. Until the league said it's ok to destroy a QB on a read zone play even after they have handed off the ball. That effectively took that play out of pro football.

Teams with retardedly solid defenses can also carry and mask deficiencies on the other side of the ball.

Still, the dumbest thing the 9'ers have ever done (and this isn't a short list by any means) was letting Harbs go. He clearly was able to get the most out of Kaep and able to work his offense around all of his shortcomings.

Could some other offensive minded coach build something around whatever talents Kaep actually still has? Sure. If they had all of the other pieces the 9'ers did for their run. But that's what it would take. He needs a system that caters to his game and a lot of talented people around him to make up for the things he just hasn't ever been able to do.

He is at least a decent backup QB option given how bad most backups in the league are. And I fully expect he ends up on some team that faces QB injuries. He should keep working out and maintain his arm going into fall because I would expect his phone to ring sometime early on in the season.
Every successful QB needsva system that highlights his strengths while protecting against what he struggles with . Likewise all successful WBS need talent around them in order to win. Every good team tailors their offense to their QB and what he does well. Kaep has great mobility , a strong arm , the ability to extend plays and is very good in play action. Yeah he has deficiencies but that is true of every QB. What we know is that he can take a good team to a Super Bowl. There are a plethora of good QBS who have been on very good teams that you cannot say the same about

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every successful QB needsva system that highlights his strengths while protecting against what he struggles with . Likewise all successful WBS need talent around them in order to win. Every good team tailors their offense to their QB and what he does well. Kaep has great mobility , a strong arm , the ability to extend plays and is very good in play action. Yeah he has deficiencies but that is true of every QB. What we know is that he can take a good team to a Super Bowl. There are a plethora of good QBS who have been on very good teams that you cannot say the same about
So the QB is really the only factor in the ability to get to and win a SB. I mean you are not saying that, and then saying that all at the same time.

Many QB's can go to another team and fit in better than Kaep can/would. Some QB's are more narrow in the scope of their specialties than others.

Sure, Kaep's major fall is at least due in part to having a HC brought in that didn't believe in him or have a real plan for him. Kelly was the worst thing that could have happened to his career. This is a part of the story, but not the whole story.

It is far too simplistic to say every HC builds an offense around their QB and thus anyone could do the same here. I can name half a dozen OC/HC combos that very clearly could not run a Kaep friendly offense and given the chance to research it more I'm sure I could easily take half the league away or more. HC's/teams can 'settle' for less than ideal QB's for their preferred schemes when that's all that is available and generally those teams aren't successful.

Kaep is a serviceable QB in a run heavy offense that doesn't ask their QB to do too much in the passing game. The league has been sharply heading away from run heavy and basic passing for some time now. He's just not a fit on most teams. Seattle was thought to be one where he might fit in with their philosophy and yet obviously there was some reason the staff didn't go with him in that role.

I'll say it again. I would be shocked to not see him on a team by mid season. Early season ending injuries for QB's seem to happen every year and I'd fully expect his name to be at the top of the list of people to call. I'm not one of the people saying he has no place in the league or can't play at that level. I just see his role very limited by his weaknesses and recent history. History on the field, not the kneeling bullshit. He will have another shot at redemption. We will see how badly he wants it and how he responds when that time comes.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying he is a great QB but he is labeled as a 1 trick pony. In watching the TD vid, he looks left, then checks down right, then sees Boldin one on one and throws a bullet off one foot while getting pressured.
I'm not sure if it was tipped, but if it was the velocity caused a tip to be ineffective.
He was a monster in that game until halftime adjustments by Seattle turned the tide.
He had moments like that, and then tons of game film of panic/run after a failed first read and no real pocket pressure and other very head scratching reactions and inability to properly read and respond to defenses.

We all watched a lot of his games when they were on a roll because they were our chief rival for a minute. Most of the times you saw him beat teams it was with his feet far more than his arm or at least that setup the passing. Teams did a better job of taking away his running and the results spoke for themselves. The elimination of the read zone took a big part of his upside away. Their inability to create those open holes in the pocket ahead of him to escape to when they were good at that in the past didn't help his stock either. He'd still be dangerous as hell behind a line like Dallas or something. Which is another reason he's not really as good of a fit here as some would like to believe. Behind Seattle's line he wouldn't find much forward yardage success in broken plays the way he must have to be successful. Wilson's yards, per attempt, and per game have steadily declined over the last 2 seasons behind a line that seems to keep finding ways of actually getting worse when you feel like they should have already hit rock bottom.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind I would have been perfectly happy with Kaep as a backup here. While I don't think he would find a lot of success behind our always shitty line, he also does the one thing you really ask of your backups: Don't turn the ball over and just give your team a chance.

His int% is pretty low and always has been. Manage the game, hand the ball off, take your higher completion percentage throws, and don't make major mistakes that take your team out of a ball game. That's what you really need from a relief QB and Kaep can do that IMO. I'm just not high on him as an every day starter.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had moments like that, and then tons of game film of panic/run after a failed first read and no real pocket pressure and other very head scratching reactions and inability to properly read and respond to defenses.

We all watched a lot of his games when they were on a roll because they were our chief rival for a minute. Most of the times you saw him beat teams it was with his feet far more than his arm or at least that setup the passing. Teams did a better job of taking away his running and the results spoke for themselves. The elimination of the read zone took a big part of his upside away. Their inability to create those open holes in the pocket ahead of him to escape to when they were good at that in the past didn't help his stock either. He'd still be dangerous as hell behind a line like Dallas or something. Which is another reason he's not really as good of a fit here as some would like to believe. Behind Seattle's line he wouldn't find much forward yardage success in broken plays the way he must have to be successful. Wilson's yards, per attempt, and per game have steadily declined over the last 2 seasons behind a line that seems to keep finding ways of actually getting worse when you feel like they should have already hit rock bottom.
A team makes a Super Bowl not one player. However in the last decade ( since the rules changes really started facoring offenses ) there is not a single bad QB that has made a SB except for, according to some, Kaepernick and he did it in his first year playing only half a season. Now either that SF team was the most talented team in the last 10-15 years or Kaep can play well enough to get you to a SB. Those are the 2 options really . If you believe it's the former then that's cool. I do not

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team makes a Super Bowl not one player. However in the last decade ( since the rules changes really started facoring offenses ) there is not a single bad QB that has made a SB except for, according to some, Kaepernick and he did it in his first year playing only half a season. Now either that SF team was the most talented team in the last 10-15 years or Kaep can play well enough to get you to a SB. Those are the 2 options really . If you believe it's the former then that's cool. I do not
Or C) he regressed over the last 4 years since then in some way and hasn't played to that level since.

His best year throwing I believe he had around a 92 passer rating. And hasn't been near that recently. How many great QB's have never been over that mark? Pretty sure Wilson and Brady are typically well above that number and I'd imagine so are the others on the list you want to add him to. Sorry, I'm on my phone right now so I really can't give better specifics.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or C) he regressed over the last 4 years since then in some way and hasn't played to that level since.

His best year throwing I believe he had around a 92 passer rating. And hasn't been near that recently. How many great QB's have never been over that mark? Pretty sure Wilson and Brady are typically well above that number and I'd imagine so are the others on the list you want to add him to. Sorry, I'm on my phone right now so I really can't give better specifics.
I'm not saying he's great . I'm saying he's as good or better than 2/3 of the quarterbacks in the league that are on rosters. Even if you think he's not top 15-20 there's no argument to be made for him still not being better than a minimum of 5-7 current starters and nearly every backup ️

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really weird at this point .

kap-socks.png

It's really not.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he's great . I'm saying he's as good or better than 2/3 of the quarterbacks in the league that are on rosters. Even if you think he's not top 15-20 there's no argument to be made for him still not being better than a minimum of 5-7 current starters and nearly every backup ️
Is it really shocking then that he isn't on a team? He's mediocre at best, hasn't been that good over the last 3 or 4 seasons, and carries a bunch of baggage that stands to bring a lot of bad press and upset fans for any team bringing him in now.

There won't be add much heat when he's the best choice you have to win after your starter goes down for a long stretch and your backup isn't up to the task. I believe his time to redeem will come. He better take advantage of it because it will probably be his only chance.

He brought it on himself. You do have free speech as a player. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences for the fans you alienate and heat you bring on the league. Particularly those pigs socks .

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it really shocking then that he isn't on a team? He's mediocre at best, hasn't been that good over the last 3 or 4 seasons, and carries a bunch of baggage that stands to bring a lot of bad press and upset fans for any team bringing him in now.

There won't be add much heat when he's the best choice you have to win after your starter goes down for a long stretch and your backup isn't up to the task. I believe his time to redeem will come. He better take advantage of it because it will probably be his only chance.

He brought it on himself. You do have free speech as a player. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences for the fans you alienate and heat you bring on the league. Particularly those pigs socks .
Did the Niners get bad press? If anything I'd say the opposite . Liberal media and all

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think this article does a good job of explaining why Kaep is unemployed.

Why is Kaepernick unemployed? Here's the talk from NFL meetings

Think this part was dead on.

He is 3-16 as a starter over the last two seasons and his explosive skills that helped the 49ers reach the Super Bowl just five years ago have not only diminished, they’ve fallen off the charts. His unique playing style — he’s more effective on the run than from the pocket and most effective when he just runs himself — makes him a bad system fit for 90% of the teams. Coaches don’t want to install a separate system for their backup quarterback and not one team is interested in Kaepernick as a starter.

This sums up my take on Kaep nicely.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This isn't the first time I've addressed this with you, and probably won't be my last. Colin Kaepernick had 98 yards rushing in the first half.....and that's great and all. As a passer? He was 3 of 5 for 17 yards. He totalled 115 yards. It's a joke that you still refer this as some massive performance, and that the beginning of Kaepernick's career downfall began with the 'second half adjustments.'

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't the first time I've addressed this with you, and probably won't be my last. Colin Kaepernick had 98 yards rushing in the first half.....and that's great and all. As a passer? He was 3 of 5 for 17 yards. He totalled 115 yards. It's a joke that you still refer this as some massive performance, and that the beginning of Kaepernick's career downfall began with the 'second half adjustments.'

QB's having shitty days against that defence were kinda' routine. SF was in the game, all damn game. and had a chance to win it. Which woulda' denied Seattle it's only trophy.

And that was mostly on Kaep, limited as he was. He (on offence) was why SF was in that game.

<shrug>

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At my age I should be allowed to have a slight memory lapse. It kinda sux getting lectured by a little bitch.
Kaep actually was 3-6 for 17 yards in the 1st half.
You are correct and win the half time disagreement on stats.
Yet, the half time adjustment was to limit Kaeps running as he was tearing up the #1 rush D in the NFL. Kaep was 8-98 rushing in the 1st half and one of those was a kneel down for a 1 yard loss. Reality was 7 rushes for 99 yards.
The pass to Boldin was in SF's 2nd drive of the 2nd half. This play was referenced in my earlier post. That play put SF in the lead with a score of 17-10 with 6 minutes left in the qtr. It was in this time frame of the game when I was genuinely concerned. Your D was stellar, Gore was always tough against us, but it was Kaep that was taking it to us.
SF had 4 drives in the 1st half equaling 1 TD, 1 FG, and 2 punts.
SF had 6 dives in the 2nd half...1 TD, 2 punts, 1 fumble, 2 Ints.
You are free to piss of if you don't like my opinion of your former QB.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's having shitty days against that defence were kinda' routine. SF was in the game, all damn game. and had a chance to win it. Which woulda' denied Seattle it's only trophy.

And that was mostly on Kaep, limited as he was. He (on offence) was why SF was in that game.

<shrug>

That's nice and all....that hardly translates into a 'monster' however.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At my age I should be allowed to have a slight memory lapse.

Age is little excuse when you are previously educated, and still continue with your blatant stupidity.

You are free to piss of if you don't like my opinion of your former QB.

Your opinion has been reputed with fact. Three of fucking Five for 17 yards...a total of 115 yards in this mythical 'monster' first half. Do yourself a favour and STFU.