• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Patterson expected to be named Texas AD

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham was Patterson's hire. Our previous AD was a sitting duck at that point and had no say in the coaching search. I fully expect Patterson to bring up Graham's name in the coaching search when Brown leaves but I doubt he ends up getting hired.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have anything against him personally. Things in Texas work a little differently. The BMDs are not in his corner. Every HC search list I've seen has not had him in the top 10. Texas BMDs want a proven winner with street cred......I'm not sure Graham has those credentials.

Were 6-2 right now and are playing great football. We are better than Ucla right now and could take the Pac 12 south. He could have a 10 win season and finish in the rankings but I hope he stays at ASU. I hope Texas goes in a different direction.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham was Patterson's hire. Our previous AD was a sitting duck at that point and had no say in the coaching search. I fully expect Patterson to bring up Graham's name in the coaching search when Brown leaves but I doubt he ends up getting hired.

Getting Graham a new stadium and new facility's will really make sure hes here for the long haul. Hopefully we get an Athletic Director that does that.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were 6-2 right now and are playing great football. We are better than Ucla right now and could take the Pac 12 south. He could have a 10 win season and finish in the rankings but I hope he stays at ASU. I hope Texas goes in a different direction.

By proven winner I mean CHAMPIONSHIPS. Texas is a hard school to coach at as an up and comer. The money guys simply don't like handing the keys to a Ferrari to a 16 year old, wet behind the ears, breath smelling like similac coach.

I'm not doubting Graham can coach. They also don't like non-squeaky clean coaches as well. That may change.....guess we'll all find out.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By proven winner I mean CHAMPIONSHIPS. Texas is a hard school to coach at as an up and comer. The money guys simply don't like handing the keys to a Ferrari to a 16 year old, wet behind the ears, breath smelling like similac coach.

I'm not doubting Graham can coach. They also don't like non-squeaky clean coaches as well. That may change.....guess we'll all find out.

Yea I hope Graham can get us a championship he will need that new stadium that Patterson promised which he never got us. But yea whos your top candidates right now? What are the writers saying in Texas about the next possible coach?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I hope Graham can get us a championship he will need that new stadium that Patterson promised which he never got us. But yea whos your top candidates right now? What are the writers saying in Texas about the next possible coach?

The lists most of us have seen in Texas, in no certain order:

Gary Patterson
David Shaw
Charlie Strong
Bill O'Brien
Jim Mora Jr
Art Briles
Kevin Sumlin
Nick Saban (0% chance this happens)
Will Muschamp

The top 3 names I keep seeing are Shaw, Saban and Strong.....sometimes Patterson. After this season I expect this list to change drastically.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Texas would have wanted Graham anyway but it's been reported that Patterson made an agreement with the ASU president that he is not allowed to hire any current ASU employees.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Gawd! You mean to tell me UT is going to can Mack Brown just before he gets to be the all-time winningest coach at Texas? That's kind of chicken shit after all he's done for the Horns.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Gawd! You mean to tell me UT is going to can Mack Brown just before he gets to be the all-time winningest coach at Texas? That's kind of chicken shit after all he's done for the Horns.

He will "retire". Texas is very clearly under performing and has been for 4 years.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lists most of us have seen in Texas, in no certain order:

Gary Patterson
David Shaw
Charlie Strong
Bill O'Brien
Jim Mora Jr
Art Briles
Kevin Sumlin
Nick Saban (0% chance this happens)
Will Muschamp

The top 3 names I keep seeing are Shaw, Saban and Strong.....sometimes Patterson. After this season I expect this list to change drastically.

Star how many of these guys do you think UT has a chance to land? IMO I see only half that would be willing to come to UT. Nothing against UT but I think some will realize UT is a whole different animal then what they currently have and won't be willing to leave.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He really hasn't done as much as you think. He's been an average coach, but that's about it. Please don't forget the resources at The University of Texas compared to other schools who have done far better with a lot less. The only way he possibly gets another year is if he wins out. Probably not going to happen. I would have fired him after BYU. Anyway you look at it, it's ANOTHER disappointing year for our football team. It's time for him to go. Period.

If he loses any more games, it will go like this:

Mack Brown call for a press conference after the last regular season game:
AP

"In the best interest of The University of Texas, I have decided to step down as head coach of the football team.......Blah blah blah.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star how many of these guys do you think UT has a chance to land? IMO I see only half that would be willing to come to UT. Nothing against UT but I think some will realize UT is a whole different animal then what they currently have and won't be willing to leave.

Agreed.

Sumlin - probably won't get asked, and I'm not sure I would want him. ATM is probably going to finish 9-3 with Manziel. Manziel leaves after this year. So far, he's beaten Alabama once. I need to see more.

Saban - He will have to want to continue to compete and win. Let's face it, no one stays on top for ever. There's really only one way Alabama can go and that's down. Maybe not far, but down is the only direction when you are at the top. He will have to really want to turn a program around and regain #1 at another school for the challenge. At his age, not sure he is willing to do this. Money won't matter to him.

The others would probably give it strong consideration if asked.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really hasn't done as much as you think. He's been an average coach, but that's about it. Please don't forget the resources at The University of Texas compared to other schools who have done far better with a lot less. The only way he possibly gets another year is if he wins out. Probably not going to happen. I would have fired him after BYU. Anyway you look at it, it's ANOTHER disappointing year for our football team. It's time for him to go. Period.

If he loses any more games, it will go like this:

Mack Brown call for a press conference after the last regular season game:
AP

"In the best interest of The University of Texas, I have decided to step down as head coach of the football team.......Blah blah blah.

How quickly people forget. Mack did a LOT for Texas.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't forgotten. I think he's lost touch though. I think he should have left LAST year. Stepped down with class and dignity.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't forgotten. I think he's lost touch though. I think he should have left LAST year. Stepped down with class and dignity.

UT will likely tie for the conference championship this year. They might go to a BCS bowl but if not it'll be a good bowl. How does Texas move him out of the picture if he does that without Texas looking like a bunch of thankless dufuses? UT's got a problem if Mack "only" wins a conference championship (even if it's a tie). I won't be surprised if it's a tie between UT, OU and Baylor.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are getting a very good AD. ASU obviously doesn't have the budget UT has but, Patterson was using real estate to really create value for this athletic program/university. He landed USA Basketball's training facility on campus. Spearheaded the renovation of Sun Devil Stadium. Negotiated and secured the agreement to build a multi-use athletic center near the stadium that will have retail and office units. Found our baseball team a home off campus to better utilize that land. Redesigned Sparky and built a better relationship with Disney. Brought on some Basketball associates that are very good coaches. Raised money to pay OC Mike Norvell more. Updated facilities. Told ND to go F themselves when they tried to get out of our agreement. Was about to secure a "high-profile" game in Texas. Brought in professional ticket sale reps and methods. Built better relationships with donors. And helped get our team back to Camp T up in northern AZ. He will be missed to say the least. But we're in a much better position than we were. ASU is a sexy job and we'll get another great AD. Good luck.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great day for Texas, WVU and the Big12. We keep our terrific AD, Texas hires a very good one as well, The Big 12 got better today!

Once Mack is done, I don't see Texas hiring from within the conference. I would LOVE (for my own entertainment) to see them hire Sumlin away from the Aggies but either way the Texas hire will make a splash, you can put that one in the bank.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't forgotten anything. What has he done that any other coach couldn't have done with the same resources over the years. 4 BCS appearances????? What a joke. He doesn't have Vince Young, he still doesn't have a National Championship! I've said all along he has been average at best. You are missing the point. We have more resources than anyone. 4 BCS Bowl games in 16 years is below average. We have got to start wanting more than 10 game winning seasons. The bar has got to set higher.

If todays rumors are true about Saban, he won't have one supporter in the room after the last game.

It ain't good when we know the animals at the San Diego Zoo by their first name
-Joe Jamail

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't forgotten anything. What has he done that any other coach couldn't have done with the same resources over the years. 4 BCS appearances????? What a joke. He doesn't have Vince Young, he still doesn't have a National Championship! I've said all along he has been average at best. You are missing the point. We have more resources than anyone. 4 BCS Bowl games in 16 years is below average. We have got to start wanting more than 10 game winning seasons. The bar has got to set higher.

If todays rumors are true about Saban, he won't have one supporter in the room after the last game.

It ain't good when we know the animals at the San Diego Zoo by their first name
-Joe Jamail

Dont get your hopes up, the fall might hurt.

A bit of reality for you, many feel that Brown is simply too old to get the job done. I think they are wrong, but here is the reality behind that thought, Brown is but a few months older than Saban, both aged 62.

Here is more reality in this. He has known since early this year that Texas was on board for him, and he stated as recently as August and September that he simply too old to start over someplace else and is happy at Alabama.

Here is one last bit of truth for you. If you watched(and i assume you didnt) the piece on Saban on Sunday nights 60 minutes, you would have seen the pain in his eyes and face when asked about his Miami situation and the terms of his leaving and how he is perceived to be a liar. If he were to leave Alabama now, after making the statements he has made recently, it would be another Miami situation and if you knew him at all, you would know his integrity is important to him. I am not saying he wont leave, but signs are not pointing to it being a lock and Rumors are just that, dont get all hyped up, you might be very disappointed in the end.

P.S. if he does leave, congrats you got a damn good coach. We will be fine.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont get your hopes up, the fall might hurt.

A bit of reality for you, many feel that Brown is simply too old to get the job done. I think they are wrong, but here is the reality behind that thought, Brown is but a few months older than Saban, both aged 62.

Here is more reality in this. He has known since early this year that Texas was on board for him, and he stated as recently as August and September that he simply too old to start over someplace else and is happy at Alabama.

Here is one last bit of truth for you. If you watched(and i assume you didnt) the piece on Saban on Sunday nights 60 minutes, you would have seen the pain in his eyes and face when asked about his Miami situation and the terms of his leaving and how he is perceived to be a liar. If he were to leave Alabama now, after making the statements he has made recently, it would be another Miami situation and if you knew him at all, you would know his integrity is important to him. I am not saying he wont leave, but signs are not pointing to it being a lock and Rumors are just that, dont get all hyped up, you might be very disappointed in the end.

P.S. if he does leave, congrats you got a damn good coach. We will be fine.

I'm in no way saying Saban is coming to Texas. As I mentioned, "if the rumors are true" and he truly wants to come to Texas, then he would be welcomed with open arms. I have no idea if he truly wants to. It really depends on what he wants to accomplish from this point forward. IF and I mean IF, he want the challenge, then Texas might be a good fit. Let's face it. Alabama is at the top and has been. No one stays on top for every. The only direction is down. As I said on another post, it may not be far down, but down none the less. Saban will have to want a challenge. Texas is appealing because of the resources. If there is one school of turning things around, it's Texas. Once again, Saban has got to want the challenge. Money won't matter. It's all about the challenge.

No matter who the next coach is. Most of the alums at this point are willing to take 1 step backwards to go 2 steps forward in the future. Should have been done 3 years ago, but we bought in to the bullshit about 3 years to turn it around. Well, it's been 3 years and we aren't any closer to an NCG then Grambling. Enough of the Mack Brown Bullshit!